AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 46" Bravia XBR 3 1080P tv. I bought the hd-a2 but was wondering if I would have been better with the hd-xa2? Would the 1080P HD-DVD player be better on my 1080P tv? Would it be worth theprice to upgrade? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Personally, I would not as it is a considerable expense for the amount of improvement you will get. I did give it some thought when the great reviews started coming out, but then I figured that it was double the price without double the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
WHY ? Do you mean the Sony won't be able to do the Interlace/progressive process properly ???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/0


Yes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's worth the price to upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ /forum/post/0


I have a Sony 46" Bravia XBR 3 1080P tv. I bought the hd-a2 but was wondering if I would have been better with the hd-xa2? Would the 1080P HD-DVD player be better on my 1080P tv? Would it be worth theprice to upgrade? Thanks

My exact question, too (though XBR2). I'm tempted to take the gamble & return it if it isn't noticably better.


The one thing that would tip the balance for me is that on most HD DVD's I notice what I'd call unsteady pixels that distract from a picture-perfect image. It's most noticable in backgrounds that are deliberately out of focus or dim (e.g., Serenity opening scenes's blue, but also some early scenes of the sky over the lake in The Lake House). It's as though the TV can't quick figure out what it's supposed to be seeing, and so it looks a bit grainy but with unstable pixels. If the XA2's 1080p output would improve that, I'd find it hard to resist.

Craig in NJ


PS -- I've also come to appreciate the idea of a backlit remote when watching in a dark room, but I just bought a Harmony universal remote that solves that & has better ergonomics anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
I have the current 50" SXRD, used the A2 for a while, and just got the XA2. Realistically if there's a picture quality improvement from the A2 to the XA2, on this size TV it seems negligable. I suppose SD might be a touch better, but it's certainly not going to make you think you're watching Crank on Blu-Ray. Basically I'd be surprised if anyone in double blind testing could pick out the XA2 over the A2 on HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,149 Posts
which SXRD do you have?


supposedly the XBR and XBR2 have a much better deinterlacer than the A2000 series. If anything is improved I would expect it to be improved deinterlacing for fast motion scenes and maybe slightly better up-conversion of SD material due to the top notch upscaler in the XA2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
This discussion is apropos to my own purchasing decision. I have a Mits 62627, which supports 1080p60 via second HDMI interface. hdguru reported that the set (among most other 2006 1080p models) fails 3-2 pull down. I thought by using the XA2 with the REON, I could sidestep that issue, get more longevity out of the set, get into HDDVD, and regardless of where HDDVD goes, I would have a good upscaling player for SD. The decision seemed easy until I read posts that HDA2 would really provide equal quality at a much lower pricepoint.


I guess the questions are: 1) how significant are the SD and HD pq differences between the HDA2 running at 1080i and the HD-XA2 at 1080p60; 2) is there a qualitative difference between the models for sq (I have a Yamaha 2600 with pretty good speakers)


Well so much for future proofing, but I thought I would ask...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
Okay, I have the A1 and XA2 models currently hooked up on the same display for comparisons. (I had an A2 for two days, but returned it. I wasn't crazy about the overall build quality, but in the end it was its overall PQ that decided it's fate; IMO it was not as good as the A1. Perhaps I had a bad unit? Who knows.)


The XA2 has a very nice build quality and so far it's been a solid performer. And critical viewers will see a noticeable difference in PQ with the XA2 (more realistic skintones for starters). I consider critical viewers to be people who are constantly striving to find the nicest image quality, and are willing to spend more for items that will add to the overall viewing experience.


The casual viewer will probably not see a marked improvment in PQ between the A1 and the XA2, while some not-so-casual viewers will feel there is not enough of a difference to justify the price. The same can be said for automobile shoppers (a Lexus LS is a great ride, but it's not going to compare to a Porche Carrera when it comes to overall performance.)


But I will say that my wife and I can easily see the difference when doing blind A&B comparisons between the A1 and XA2. Is it enough of a difference to justify the price? Well that descision will have to be made on an individual basis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut /forum/post/0


The XA2 has a very nice build quality and so far it's been a solid performer. And critical viewers will see a noticeable difference in PQ with the XA2 (more realistic skintones for starters). I consider critical viewers to be people who are constantly striving to find the nicest image quality, and are willing to spend more for items that will add to the overall viewing experience.


The casual viewer will probably not see a marked improvment in PQ between the A1 and the XA2, while some not-so-casual viewers will feel there is not enough of a difference to justify the price. The same can be said for automobile shoppers (a Lexus LS is a great ride, but it's not going to compare to a Porche Carrera when it comes to overall performance.)


But I will say that my wife and I can easily see the difference when doing blind A&B comparisons between the A1 and XA2. Is it enough of a difference to justify the price? Well that descision will have to be made on an individual basis.

Thank you for the response, it certainly puts it in context
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut /forum/post/0


Okay, I have the A1 and XA2 models currently hooked up on the same display for comparisons. (I had an A2 for two days, but returned it. I wasn't crazy about the overall build quality, but in the end it was its overall PQ that decided it's fate; IMO it was not as good as the A1. Perhaps I had a bad unit? Who knows.)


The XA2 has a very nice build quality and so far it's been a solid performer. And critical viewers will see a noticeable difference in PQ with the XA2 (more realistic skintones for starters). I consider critical viewers to be people who are constantly striving to find the nicest image quality, and are willing to spend more for items that will add to the overall viewing experience.


The casual viewer will probably not see a marked improvment in PQ between the A1 and the XA2, while some not-so-casual viewers will feel there is not enough of a difference to justify the price. The same can be said for automobile shoppers (a Lexus LS is a great ride, but it's not going to compare to a Porche Carrera when it comes to overall performance.)


But I will say that my wife and I can easily see the difference when doing blind A&B comparisons between the A1 and XA2. Is it enough of a difference to justify the price? Well that descision will have to be made on an individual basis.

I have to admit you are honest, most of the people that buy the XA2, do not admit the truth, but mainly find reasons to convince others and themselfs that was worth the money,me on the other hand had both and did an A/B comparison on my Mits HC5000 1080p, and I could not justified the 1199$ cdn, +tax, on one player, but went out and bought 2 more A1, for Livingroom on a 42" plasma, and for bedroom 32" Lcd, i have one already in the basement with the Mits HC5000 and there, we know have 3 A1's we can watch the movies anywhere we so choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/0


WHY ? Do you mean the Sony won't be able to do the Interlace/progressive process properly ???

You put the two 1080 fields back together you get the original frame, so 1080p will do nothing for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/0


I have the current 50" SXRD, used the A2 for a while, and just got the XA2. Realistically if there's a picture quality improvement from the A2 to the XA2, on this size TV it seems negligable. I suppose SD might be a touch better, but it's certainly not going to make you think you're watching Crank on Blu-Ray. Basically I'd be surprised if anyone in double blind testing could pick out the XA2 over the A2 on HD.

from what i understand if you dont have a hdtv with hdmi 1.3 you wont see all it has to offer,so ill keep my a2!
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
39,647 Posts
If I didn't have aVP50 the XA2 would be a nice upgrade. But my VP50 can scale to whatever resolution I want. So an interanl chip to deinterlace to 1080P does nothing for me since the VP50 can do the same thing only more versatile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 /forum/post/0


Personally, I don't think it's worth the price to upgrade.

I agree. Keep the A2 and wait for the 3rd gen to come out. See what the 3rd gens are offering. That will also push down the price of the XA2 as well. Then you could consider getting the XA2 assuming the 3rd gens don't offer that much.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top