AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question...if you were in the market for a new LCD and had a budget of $1500 or less:

Would you buy a Sammy LN52A750 for $1200 (from private seller, assuming in fine working order)?

Too me it seems like a decent buy for the $, but people on here certainly have much better knowledge than myself on this subject.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilliga02 /forum/post/18146683

Simple question...if you were in the market for a new LCD and had a budget of $1500 or less:

Would you buy a Sammy LN52A750 for $1200 (from private seller, assuming in fine working order)?

Too me it seems like a decent buy for the $, but people on here certainly have much better knowledge than myself on this subject.

I wouldn't buy a used LCD unless I could somehow obtain warranty coverage. While historically, Samsung LCDs have been quite reliable, I have also heard of what seems to be a problem with capacitors.

People like to shop at Costco. They can get a two year warranty, and a third year if they can pay with American Express.

If you buy the used TV, make sure you have some money set-aside since you will be self-insured.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^The amount of money you should set aside for repair, added to the 1200, would exceed your original 1500 budget. Getting an extended warranty is always a crapshoot and there have been volumes written about the advisability of doing so, but no warranty at all is, imho, tempting fate.

I don't know how worried one should be about the caps issue on Samsung. Sometimes a mfg. will upgrade parts during a model run in response to an issue like this, I don't know of any way to find out if Samsung has done this with regard to the caps. I do know that their preferred repair method is to replace the entire power board, which costs upwards of $300 with a labor charge in the neighborhood of 100. One of my co-workers was lucky enough to have needed this repair while the factory warranty was still in effect and the tech let him see the "bill".

While the B750 is indeed a premium set you could easily get a very good high-midrange model at Costco, who doubles mfg. wty. Alternatively at this time of year one can often find such sets cheaper at normal retail stores than at Costco, but without the doubled wty. Something like a W or Z series Sony or one of the higher end Toshibas or LGs should fall into your price range about now.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If the person you are buying it from has an extended warranty which he can transfer to you MAYBE. Otherwise, check around at Amazon and Vanns. And I think you will soon be able to find some excellent prices on the B series, this years models as the C, 2010, will be out very soon.

New, with a warranty is always better than used as so many things can go wrong with these tvs.

Check the link. Tho not a 750 a very nice 630 and new:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52B6...6351963&sr=8-3

or your tv, this year:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...msung-ln52b750 And they have a "click here for better price". They send you a lower price.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilliga02 /forum/post/18146683

The LN52A750 was (and probably still is) an excellent TV when it came out about April, 2008. Soon, it will be two full model years old and even if it's still in fine working condition, I think you are playing with a loaded gun by spending that much on a used TV.

There are probably better deals out there right now on brand new 2009 closeout models that have at least a one-year warranty. If you buy a new Samsung and register it one-line, they will automatically extend the warranty to 15 months.

As much as I prefer not to buy from Sam's Club or Costco (basically because of their limited selection), if you can find a TV you like at Costco, the full two-year-warranty will give you peace of mind that you may not have by purchasing a used TV from a private seller.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.