AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bravo! ABC is learning rather quickly. this movie looks sharp, detailed, and pristine. preserving OAR is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,614 Posts
Yes, I like the image quality.

I'm very surprised the AVS AR police haven't complemented ABC on their fine theatrical OAR efforts, recently.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It was a nice suprise to come home to this. WTG ABC

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 5.1 sound track was off balance in Seattle. Komo had the center channel coming from the left surround, and never did get it right throughout the movie. Very distracting. Picture was great.

Anyone else in Seattle notice this? I'm using Dish 6000 with Denon 3801 set to 6.1 mode (Dolby Digital).

·
Registered
271 Posts
'Mission Impossible' and now 'A Time To Kill' in OAR. Once again, ABC shows everyone how it should be done. Maybe HBO should take note!

Don

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Niteflyer
The 5.1 sound track was off balance in Seattle. Komo had the center channel coming from the left surround, and never did get it right throughout the movie. Very distracting. Picture was great.

Anyone else in Seattle notice this? I'm using Dish 6000 with Denon 3801 set to 6.1 mode (Dolby Digital).
I got on here this morning to see if anyone else in Seattle had this problem too. Glad to see it wasn't just me. I actually rearranged my mains after checking all me center connections just to try and get something that sounded more realistic.

·
Registered
831 Posts
All I can say is "WOW!" the PQ was amazing during this presentation, even after the 720p to 1080i upconvert.

What's gotten into those guys over at ABC, and how do we spread it around?!

Here's to more HQ HD!!!

(Now if they'd only do some MNF....)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I turned it on just to see how it looked, and I expected to be disappointed. To my surprise it looked outstanding! OAR is a must in home theater. Even the ABC logo was small and washed out.

I think the sound in LA was Prologic, not 5.1 I'll double check my receiver settings when I get home. Does anyone know for sure?

The blinds in the court room were shimmering on my system too, and I'm running 720p I don't remember if the DVD (through HTPC) had that problem.

If ABC keeps this up I may be able to tolerate commercials!

I usually find that network HDTV isn't anywhere near as good as DVD for several reasons: transfer quality, sound quality, dropouts due to poor reception, commercials, and pan & scam.

After this My HTPC picture looks soft. Sound was good, but I think HTPC is better.

GREAT JOB ABC!!

I hope Episode I looks this good.

~Jay

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay M
I hope Episode I looks this good.
there is no way episode I will look that good because it will be 480p on anti-hd fox

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I thought it was going to be on ABC.

~Jay

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry if this is the dumbest question, but what is OAR?

·
Registered
219 Posts
OAR stands for Original Aspect Ratio. To learn more, go here

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnarkon
Sorry if this is the dumbest question, but what is OAR?
Arnarkon,

Be sure to see page 2 of Jafo's link. You'll see why I hate so called "full screen" movies. Even sit-coms when watched in standard definition (SDTV) seem croped after watching them in HD for a whole season now. It's nice to see more of the set around the characters.

~Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.