AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week, I've purchased a Hitachi 43" HD widescreen Monitor (43UWX10b), $1600 from Sears, and Toshiba HD Decoder (DST-3000, $450 from video only. I hooked them up to a small channelmaster stealthtenna and I'm getting 100% signal strength on all 9 major Bay Area digital channels.

Digital OTA Picture is perfect. I won't be able to hook up to Satellite until we move to our new house in about three months so I can't comment on that yet. I do find that cable picture is poor when the cable feed is routed through the DST-3000 and then into the TV - it's much better when the cable is attached directly to the Hitachi.

Anyway, just wanted to share that it was real easy to get this set up and working and the OTA digital seems to be working great, at least from Palo Alto.

------------------

- Dan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dan,

I live right across the bay from you and I would also like to know which model of Channelmaster you are using.

How does the Hitachi do with NTSC signals? Do you use the stretch mode or 4:3 mode? TIA

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duke / Dan - I bought the channelmaster STEALTHTENNA Model 3010 -see it here http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/s1.htm

I also bought the accompanying amplifier for an extra $25, I'm not sure if I needed it but the price was sure right - less than $75 for the whole setup from Fry's in Palo Alto. I bought this antenna after doing just a little bit of basic research - typing my address into a couple of the web sites that tell you what category of antenna you need. It turns out we have a pretty good signal with no hills or anything in the way here in Palo Alto.

Dan - re Hitachi and 4:3.

We started out by using the Hitachi smooth fill mode for almost all 4:3 content, but we've been watching a lot of CNN lately and the ticker is real annoying in this mode because it is stretched more at the edges than in the middle in this mode, so the text slows down and then speeds up again as it goes across the screen.

So lately we've been watching most 4:3 content in regular smooth fill mode, but things with tickers in regular "fat face" stretch. The only 4:3 content we watch letterboxed is the digital content coming from the Toshiba HD Decoder that is already letterboxed by the Toshiba because of the way the broadcasters encoded it.

Last night we watched Africa on PBS in digital widescreen and it looked great. After than we watched - and I am loathe to admit it - Gilligans Island in 1080i HDTV. We also briefly compared the standard definition and high definition feeds of "The Emporor's new Groove" on channels 7-1 and 7-2. The difference was enormous - the quality of the 16:9 1080i feed on 7-1 was amazing, especially when put side to side with the same material 4:3 480i/p. I can't wait for more HDTV programming.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dan,

A question about your amplified Stelathantenna. How is your reception of analog VHF/UHF? Since it is an omni directional antenna, I would expect some serious goasting from multipath. I also live in the flatlands of Palo Alto and this week installed a new oval DTV dish and Tosh DST-3000 to check out DT broadcasts in the Bay Area and from Direct. No DTV as yet, but that will come later. I have an existing VHF/UHF antenna on the rooftop but also installed a UHF only Yagi from Radio Shack and combined it with a dipllexer to the DST-3000. Both antennas are pointed at Sutro and have sharp side nulls so reception of analog from the East Bay is NOT good. I doubt that a preamp could be powered through the diplexer, but I could use the Stealthantenna directly into the antenna input of the DST-3000. I want to retain my analog capability for a while for other TVs in the house. I would like to hear your comments on analog reception with the Stealthantenna.

Don

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Registered 5x - Usually I would be the last person to buy anything at Sears except for Craftsman tools - but I read about their price matching policy on this forum and I can't believe the deal I got earlier this month.

For a new Hitachi 43UWX10B 43" HD Monitor (reg price $2199) they price matched the cheapest Internet price I could find, $1860 ($1845 + $15 delivery). Then they added the 10% discount Sears was offering last month on top of this. And lastly I got no payment no interest for a year + another $10 off for opening a sears charge account. Total price before sales tax = $1664, plus no payments and no interest for 12 months.

I called and talked with a salesperson (at Sears in Mountain View) before I went in to buy the unit and made it clear I was ready to buy today if they would do the price match - 10%. Or I would just wait for the next sale. He called me back 30 minutes later saying his manager had approved it. I brought in printouts from 3-4 web sites to get the price match, and that was it. They also delivered it free.

They also carry Mitsubishi and Toshiba... Sears. Who would have thought...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vdcone -

I don't use the stealthtenna for analog TV - I shut off all the OTA analog channels in the Toshiba STB... Today I use digital OTA + Palo Alto Cable. When we finish construction on our new house, I'll be using OTA + DirectTV. Since all the local channels I would ever watch in the Bay Area are already digital anyway, with even more I probably don't need coming out the first of the year, I didn't see a need for OTA analog.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm in a near identical situation, located near the Los Altos/ Mtn. View border (near Cuesta Park). Currently using the CM Stealth antenna with the "active" PCB upgrade - also from good old Fry's.

I differ in that my STB's are; 2 x DTC100's and 1 x Zenith OTA only. While I am pulling in all Sutro signals well I am not able to get the San Jose OTA digitals with this ant. My displays too are different; a new Toshiba TW57HX81, a Sampo 34" 16:9 direct view and "the project", an AmPro 9" CRT FP that got dropped in shipment yet with some TLC should perform like a champ on a 110" 16:9 screen one of these days.

Splitting the Stealth signal 3 ways simply does not work. I installed a CM 4228 on the same mast as the Stealth and split its' signal 2 ways - everything comes in great this way.

Dean - good negotiating on the RP purchase. I have yet to see any local brick & mortar store match ANY Net pricing. The reason always given, & I feel that it's valid, is that the locals have a lot more overhead than etailers. I found a huge discount on my RP via the Net yet did worry somewhat about what might have happened if the RP didn't arrive in perfect condition.

FYI I used to have the same antenni installed at my last house in Palo Alto - near Cubberly and Sun Micro's HQ. Great reception everywhere in the flatlands. When you get up into the hills you can expect worse reception. A pal in Portola Valley can't get a single OTA digital channel due to his location being in something akin to a volcano - high up but big hills in all directions. Two huge steel water tanks directly in his path to Sutro don't help matters at all.

Where will you be moving to?

Curtis

·
Registered
802 Posts
I finally received my Channel Master 3021 and tried it on my apartment patio here in Sunnyvale. Unfortunately it was a big disappointment. I had better luck with a Radio Shack UHF roof antenna.

I really wish more apartment complexes had roof antennas. The CM3021 works great at my house in Roseville. Here in the Bay Area I guess I will need cable to pick up Fox and uPN. Fortunately I can get stable signals from ABC, CBS and NBC without too much work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmm, I've been having bad luck with digital KQED on my DTC-100. Your post is making me wonder whether my antenna aiming is out of whack.

·
Registered
189 Posts
rw,

You should not be having a problem. KQED digital is very solid at my house. I wonder what antenna you are using. It always shocks me when I drive through my neighborhood and see so many TV antennas pointing the wrong way. I guess part of the problem is that some folks do not know the front from the back or side, but if you point the antenna at 323 degrees you should be in great shape.

Don

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis

Dean - good negotiating on the RP purchase. I have yet to see any local brick & mortar store match ANY Net pricing. The reason always given, & I feel that it's valid, is that the locals have a lot more overhead than etailers. I found a huge discount on my RP via the Net yet did worry somewhat about what might have happened if the RP didn't arrive in perfect condition.

Curtis
Sears here in Manhattan, KS matched the lowest internet price on a replaytv unit it bought. It took nearly $130 off their price and they just did it without any hesitation, but, they did charge me the internet price plus shipping from that store, which was only like $20 or so, plus tax, but I still saved a good chuck of change.

I forgot to mention, they said they would match any price from any website that ended with .net or .com but no others

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dan (and others in the PA area),

Nobody has mentioned anything about dynamic multipath from airplanes landing/taking off from SFO. This is not a problem? Those planes are very close to the line of sight to Mt. Sutro.

I'm surprised, because I see it on my analog TV when the antenna is pointed to Mt. Sutro. I would have thought that DTV reception would either drop out or at least get blocky in this situation.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akula
Dan (and others in the PA area),

Nobody has mentioned anything about dynamic multipath from airplanes landing/taking off from SFO. This is not a problem? Those planes are very close to the line of sight to Mt. Sutro.

I'm surprised, because I see it on my analog TV when the antenna is pointed to Mt. Sutro. I would have thought that DTV reception would either drop out or at least get blocky in this situation.
I do not have a map handy yet would think that Sutro is well west of SFO - at least from the Palo Alto/ Mtn. View location.

Were any of you locals around in the days when the Navy flew many P3's out of Moffet Field? I would routinely get a great deal of video noise, FM reception, you name it. Those aircraft must have had tons of powerful electronis turned on. Glad they're history.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, there is dynamic multipath from Palo Alto to Sutro. Airplanes approaching SFO cause a dynamic shift in signal strength, however it does not seem to bother the digital signal if it is of reasonable strength and you do not see flutter as you would on an analog signal.

Don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.