AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I am REALLY struggling to figure out the best way to use my new Epson 2150 Projector. This is a beginner question non specific to Epson so thought I would post it here.

I am using the projector for OUTDOOR movies. And I am trying to find a single device I can use for the family to watch things from Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, etc.

I am REALLY struggling to find a single device that can connect easily to a projector. I have tried using a computer, and my Dell XPS works with a USB-C to HDMI converter to output video to the projector. The problem is, many of the newer media apps no longer make PC versions - for example, you can only download into a Disney+ app on a phone or tablet, not a PC. Same for my FIOS TV App, Prime Video, etc.

Then I switch to tablets/phones - but very few of them support HDMI out video. I have a USB-C to HDMI converter, but my Huawei and Amazon Fire tablets apparently are not compatible with this. Screen Mirroring does not work - both because my outdoor WIFI signal is weak, but even indoors, it does not support copyrighted material.

My Galaxy S9 does support HDMI out, but thats my phone so not always available for their use. Their Pixel 3A and Motorola phones also dont support HDMI out on the USB-C port.

As a result I have a hodgepodge of different devices and cables, hoping that for any given streaming service app some combo of device and cable will work. When what I want - and thought it should be straightforward to achieve - is to find a single advice (like an inexpensive tablet) that can support most media apps, and can have an easy single connection (like USB-C to HDMI) to deliver video to projector. But I have not succeeded in finding this.

I feel like I am missing something - should it be this complicated? Is there an easy straightforward way, for example, for me to deliver media from an Amazon Fire HD to the projector and be done with all of this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is this complicated.. you are outside!:)
I am quickly finding that out! It seems like most devices (Fire HD Tablet, Pixel and motorola phones, Huawei tablet) dont support any kind of HDMI-out capability as well?

Does anyone know of 1) a way to send copyrighted video from these devices to a projector or 2) a device that supports HDMI-out consistently?

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
If you have your audio taken care of, and your main goal is streaming from different services, then get a dedicated streaming device like a Roku stick. You can plug it into the projector directly and it takes care of all the 'smart' functionality that you are looking for.

There are similar devices like FireStick (Amazon) and AppleTV units that work well and people swear by.

Make a list of your specific sources that you would like to use, and then look for the device which supports the most of what you are after. My fav is Roku. I use the Ultra on my installations, but the stick is very popular for simplicity.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Stick-HDR-Streaming-Long-range/dp/B075XLWML4/ref=sr_1_1

EDIT: Please be aware that good streaming requires good Wi-Fi signal strength. That's entirely on you to achieve. There are more than a few options to get good Wi-Fi to locations that may not always be convenient. Like getting an outdoor rated WAP and putting it on the side of your home and wiring it up to the router.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have your audio taken care of, and your main goal is streaming from different services, then get a dedicated streaming device like a Roku stick. You can plug it into the projector directly and it takes care of all the 'smart' functionality that you are looking for.

There are similar devices like FireStick (Amazon) and AppleTV units that work well and people swear by.

Make a list of your specific sources that you would like to use, and then look for the device which supports the most of what you are after. My fav is Roku. I use the Ultra on my installations, but the stick is very popular for simplicity.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Stick-HDR-Streaming-Long-range/dp/B075XLWML4/ref=sr_1_1

EDIT: Please be aware that good streaming requires good Wi-Fi signal strength. That's entirely on you to achieve. There are more than a few options to get good Wi-Fi to locations that may not always be convenient. Like getting an outdoor rated WAP and putting it on the side of your home and wiring it up to the router.
Thanks for this - I am trying to find a consistent solution to a non-WIFI environment. I want to be able to download the video in advance to the app (supported on things like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ on Android) and then play it via a wired connection to the projector...thats what I am trying to solve for.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Maybe an older phone line a s8 or note8? Those sort the apps you are wanting to use plus they support HDMI and DEX.

Another option is to get another router to use as a repeater or if you have mesh add another one. This is all for streaming. Which would allow you to use the roku/firestick. Another option is to set up your phone as a hot spot

If you want something local the s8/note8 solution would be best.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Raspberry pi 4, 5T USB hardrive, under $200, torrent content and enjoy local high bit rate video..

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Get a streaming device FireTV, Roku, Shield or ATV. I use a Shield and FireTV 2nd generation Boxes. The fireTV's (Shield pro, I have the tube) have a USB port you can just plug a Thumb drive in with your movie on it. Both can run KODI for a full NetFlix like interface. You could even download movies from NetFlix to play offline. Messing around with anything but these new streaming boxes is a waste of time. Even the $30 fireTV stick has an adapter for a full size USB port.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi All - I am REALLY struggling to figure out the best way to use my new Epson 2150 Projector. This is a beginner question non specific to Epson so thought I would post it here.

I am using the projector for OUTDOOR movies. And I am trying to find a single device I can use for the family to watch things from Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, etc.

I am REALLY struggling to find a single device that can connect easily to a projector. I have tried using a computer, and my Dell XPS works with a USB-C to HDMI converter to output video to the projector. The problem is, many of the newer media apps no longer make PC versions - for example, you can only download into a Disney+ app on a phone or tablet, not a PC. Same for my FIOS TV App, Prime Video, etc.

Then I switch to tablets/phones - but very few of them support HDMI out video. I have a USB-C to HDMI converter, but my Huawei and Amazon Fire tablets apparently are not compatible with this. Screen Mirroring does not work - both because my outdoor WIFI signal is weak, but even indoors, it does not support copyrighted material.

My Galaxy S9 does support HDMI out, but thats my phone so not always available for their use. Their Pixel 3A and Motorola phones also dont support HDMI out on the USB-C port.

As a result I have a hodgepodge of different devices and cables, hoping that for any given streaming service app some combo of device and cable will work. When what I want - and thought it should be straightforward to achieve - is to find a single advice (like an inexpensive tablet) that can support most media apps, and can have an easy single connection (like USB-C to HDMI) to deliver video to projector. But I have not succeeded in finding this.

I feel like I am missing something - should it be this complicated? Is there an easy straightforward way, for example, for me to deliver media from an Amazon Fire HD to the projector and be done with all of this?

Thanks!
How far away is your projector from your house? Maybe it would be simpler to just blanket the outdoor area with WiFi? Placing a node of a WiFi mesh router at the edge of your house might be enough to get a good signal to a standard WiFi device?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fire Stick with Wifi Mesh, or Fire Stick with ethernet adapter and a very looooooooooooong ethernet cable from your router or nearest ethernet hub. If you have unlimited data, Fire Stick with Hot Spot from your phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts