AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blu ray player is going bad and rather than wait for a blu ray changer I was just thinking of building a HTPC/server. I have been reading now for about a hour and I must say I am a little overwhelmed....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the club...

Gotta start somewhere though...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingman /forum/post/16922112

Welcome to the club...

Gotta start somewhere though...

There are just some many options. I just want to have all my dvd's and BD's on the hard drive, and the ability to still use my Harmony One remote lol. I don't want to spend more than $1000.00. I want it to look like a component as well not a pc. I am definitely in for some studying.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I hope you have some free time because a htpc is a real time waister, especially if you factor in the ripping, backup, maintenance & upgrades.

Standalone bring the ease of use and the "work out of the box" factor that a htpc doesn't have. You'll have to tweak and adjust settings on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion /forum/post/16922315

I just want to have all my dvd's and BD's on the hard drive, and the ability to still use my Harmony One remote lol. I don't want to spend more than $1000.00. I want it to look like a component as well not a pc.

If you want to store a lot of BD images, you're going to need a lot of hard drive space. Larger HTPC cases with enough room for several drives are generally either expensive or unattractive or both.

Considering aesthetics and expandability, you may want to consider a client/server setup. This would allow you to use a smaller, more attractive case for your HTPC and have the big, ugly server out of sight. You could also expand the setup to other rooms with more HTPCs or simple streamers while keeping all of your media on the server. You might even want to forgo the HTPC all together and just use streamers for everything. One of the new Popcorn Hour C200 boxes with Movie Flow might be an easier route for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16922469

I hope you have some free time because a htpc is a real time waister, especially if you factor in the ripping, backup, maintenance & upgrades.

It isn't a waste of time if you want to back up your media anyway. As far as maintenance, and upgrades, once you have it set up, there isn't much "maintenance" at all, especially if you aren't using it for anything other than playing media. If you plan the build right, there's no upgrades needed either, unless some stellar piece of hardware comes out that you have to have.

Quote:
Standalone bring the ease of use and the "work out of the box" factor that a htpc doesn't have. You'll have to tweak and adjust settings on a regular basis.

Once again, once you set it up, there's not much tweaking, that's what setting it up is for. As far as standalones, great, you can spend a bunch of money for a bunch of different components, or you can roll it up into one box that cost a heck of a lot less, and does a heck of a lot more.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's only wasting time if you'd rather be doing something else. It's a hobby after all.

I wouldn't say I have a HTPC per se...it's not in my living room. But, it does serve as my DVR and music storage device.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16922469

especially if you factor in the ripping, backup, maintenance & upgrades.

Ripping and backing up your media has to be done whether you use a HTPC or a standalone streamer. The media has to come from somewhere.

Upgrades are not much of an issue with HTPCs because they are built to handle media and not much else. If it handles your media when you build it, it'll handle that same media in 10 years. You'll only need to upgrade if there is some new, more demanding type of media in the future. However, any new type of media that obsoletes your HTPC will surely obsolete your standalone streamer as well, so you're screwed on that front either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts