1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like they are trying to sell the same product for two different prices. I clicked on camoura's link and got an "access denied" page.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Does anyone have a handle on why they let so many go at the cheap prices? I read the different earlier explnations but it still doesn't really make sense to me.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Robert Wood,

What I did not understand is why the "error" (if it was one) was allowed to remain on their web site for 5 days.

This was enough time for me to contact someone who was looking for a projector, convince them of the value of the LT150, and for them to put in an order. I am sure there are many such stories.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I agree. If it started as an "error" it made no sense why that error was not corrected sooner. And makes me hard pressed to believe it all resulted from an error to start with.

Then there's the story about a customer who refused to take delivery on all these units. That really doesn't explain to me either why Dell would be compelled to discount the price so deeply.

I don't understand it. Especially in light of Jack now seeing the $3510 current price (which is not even competitive).

Unless someone can give us a credible explanation I guess it will remain a mystery (glad it had a happy ending though).

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
From my top secret inside source at Dell, I heard they moved their server farm to a hosting facility in the Bermuda Triangle.

Kelly

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My theory is that NEC wanted to dump an inventory of these projectors and used Dell to do it. Remember this was only a few days after AVS was able to offer a very good price (at the time) on these units. An interesting thing is that ProjectorCentral now lists the MSRP for the LT150 at only $3,295.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Drop your price to below cost to increase your quarterly results? That sounds insane. Yes your gross sales will be up but your net profits will be LOWER and your operating income as a percentage of gross sales will also go down. I can't imagine any company wanting to drop prices that low (if indeed below cost) just to "get sales."

I believe it was a pricing error and they were honestly to stupid to change it. Having said that I didn't even get one of these, which I would have kept. I was traveling on business that weekend and didn't hear about this until after it was over. Lame. Oh well, thats life.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sphiatt:
Drop your price to below cost to increase your quarterly results? That sounds insane. Yes your gross sales will be up but your net profits will be LOWER and your operating income as a percentage of gross sales will also go down.
Welcome to the New Economy, where growth is prized over profitability. Happens all the time.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sphiatt:
Drop your price to below cost to increase your quarterly results? That sounds insane. Yes your gross sales will be up but your net profits will be LOWER and your operating income as a percentage of gross sales will also go down. I can't imagine any company wanting to drop prices that low (if indeed below cost) just to "get sales."
Were you on a desert island for the past few years? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

So I guess all those internet companies that focused on profits instead of sales did better in the short run? Oops, there weren't any... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaron:
there was no error. their quarter ended in July and they had to make their sales numbers so they needed the money
Ding Ding! Exactly right. The same price fluctuation occurred in the refurb laptop section. I ordered an Inspiron 8000 on 7/23 for $1039, and it came with a free printer. The promotion was $150 off of their laptops, but the price difference was more than that even.

Now that it's August, that same laptop will cost you about $1400. Everyone knows that prices on technology items don't typically go *up* over time.

Unless a company is trying to pump up sales before quarter-end.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Jason,

What is the A/V Science store's return policy?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.