AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never played WOW itself, I simply dont have time... However it seems like it is really an great prospect to go with PS3 and 360's with hard drive.

Main problem of consoles in the past was that they didnt have hard drive, so you really couldnt play anything with persistant world, you couldnt get updates for the games, etc, etc.

Now thats behind us and every PS3 has an hard drive (and quite few Xbox 360). Gamers spend most of their money on consoles, and PC gaming is statistically very small part of the market.

Why wouldnt we be able to play WOW-type games? Blizzard recently said that you really needed an keyboard to play it... ok, so I spent 4k on my HT equipment, and I wont buy wireless keyboard and headset for $30? Thats just dumb.

Who else would like to play persistent online games on their PS3 (and 360)?

I probably would not play RPG game, but I know people on consoles are crazy about rpg's...

Main problem is that doing an persistent online game of any kind requires significant investment. Unlike on PC, where we had hundreds of independent games YEARS before WOW came and took it all. Indy developers can not easily pave the way as they did in PC world.

I think best chance we have would be Sony doing something to revitalize their Everquest game....

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't think this will happen. They already have 8+ million users under their belt, why waste money porting WoW to a console? By the time they finish, there will probably be another WoW expansion out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it would be interesting if they did port the game. The way they put it together software-wise seems like it could be ported in a fairly straight-forward manner. (Currently the game is written for both PC and Mac and many people have played on Linux via Win32 emulators.)

The only issue I would see, would be the necessary keyboard support for communication.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
If you can get it to run on linux then maybe you can play it on the ps3 perhaps. Very hard to say. So far someone has gotten Win2k to work over linux on the ps3.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I played WOW on the Mac and PC and never saw the draw. It's kind of a cool open ended environment but not being able to log in because the servers are so busy made me cancel.

It would be nice to have these kinds of games on the console but at this point I just don't see it happening.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych /forum/post/0

Blizzard stated a while back that they wouldn't port WoW to consoles. I can't imagine they've changed their position.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/world-of-wa...wow-158194.php

they said it 10 days ago... but why not? Okey, maybe not WOW, but why not some other persistent online game?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/0

I don't think this will happen. They already have 8+ million users under their belt, why waste money porting WoW to a console? By the time they finish, there will probably be another WoW expansion out.

look at it this way - PC gaming is only 20% of gaming revenues... 80% is consoles. There is a lot more money in consoles than in PC gaming.

I think it will be interesting area to watch...

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

look at it this way - PC gaming is only 20% of gaming revenues... 80% is consoles. There is a lot more money in consoles than in PC gaming.

Saddly, this why were left with crappy quality games on PC, and/or less titles. Rather than make it for the PC and dumb it down for the console, they no longer bother with the PC version, or they just port the console version to the PC, leaving CPU's sitting almost idle and video cards barely working. The last money maker for PC's comes from MMORPG's. Look at World of Warcraft, 6 million people dumping $10 a month into it.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoldier /forum/post/0

Saddly, this why were left with crappy quality games on PC, and/or less titles. Rather than make it for the PC and dumb it down for the console, they no longer bother with the PC version, or they just port the console version to the PC, leaving CPU's sitting almost idle and video cards barely working. The last money maker for PC's comes from MMORPG's. Look at World of Warcraft, 6 million people dumping $10 a month into it.

Yea, MMOs really don't seem to be popular on consoles. By the way, they reached the 8 million milestone.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar /forum/post/0

Do you have a source for this statistic?

Best source for game selling data:
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/folder.php?fid=23

I cant find overall data at the moment, but for 2006:

EA - 19% PC gaming, rest consoles

Activision - 16%, rest consoles

EA and Activision are two biggest game publishers in the world, and both publish a lot of PC games.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/0

Yea, MMOs really don't seem to be popular on consoles. By the way, they reached the 8 million milestone.

btw, main question is - would you pay to play MMO on console?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I hear that Conan is coming to consoles as well as PC. I still think I'd rather have it on PC........but who knows, if they do a good enough job I may change my mind.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Rather than examine total gaming share on consoles vs. PCs, it's more relevant in this case to look at share of each genre.

MMORPG and real time strategy are HUGE on the PC. Although shooters have made their way to consoles the PC is where most FPS action is and always has been. The same with traditional RPG of which most MMORPGs are a part. In my own and many other people's mind there are 2 different classes of RPG, what is commonly called an RPG on a console is very very very different from a PC style RPG - Oblivion and Morrowind being examples of PC style RPG on consoles albeit PC ports with the PC having a lot more functionality. Also there is very little crossover between PC and Console RPG fans, many PC RPG fans are not into console style RPGs whatsoever and I remember when Morrowind came out for the Xbox many people who were used to console style RPGs did not enjoy the style of play at all.

Anyway - we aren't so much talking about getting WOW into that bigger 80% of the general gaming revenue but rather we are talking about moving it from the 100% share of the market and trying to adapt it to a console. I'd imagine we will begin seeing some type of MMORPG console stuff in the future sometime as the large pile of cash is too big a draw to remain untouched.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
again, thats because in past, you couldnt have MMO's on consoles without hard drive... up to 2 years ago, there was almost no online console audience, as supposed to online PC gaming, and now we have 5 million subscribers to Live, which is biggest for gaming service of any kind.

Also, something not to forget, is that aside from Warcraft, which holds 55% of MMORPG market, other games have to be satisfied with less than million active players, so they might be more interested in doing hard work.

I think Blizzard is quite happy with milking the cash cow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MMOs are type-to-talk so how would that work on a console? You can hook up a keyboard but for $400-$500/console, it is going to get to the point where people realize they are just buying computers with stripped down functionality. I believe that console makers are trying very, very hard to stay away from a mouse and keyboard for this reason. I wouldn't really mind though because I will finally be able to play console FPS.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonblue /forum/post/0

MMOs are type-to-talk so how would that work on a console? You can hook up a keyboard but for $400-$500/console, it is going to get to the point where people realize they are just buying computers with stripped down functionality. I believe that console makers are trying very, very hard to stay away from a mouse and keyboard for this reason. I wouldn't really mind though because I will finally be able to play console FPS.

i am not sure if they would ran away from that designation, since there is no $500-$600 HTC that can run 1920x1080 resolution PC games :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Honestly, I hope it doesn't happen. The MMORPG-lite nature of WoW already brought the kiddies into the genre. Porting it to a console would only be worse. Of course with a bigger installed base there would be a bigger market for the eastern gold farmers.

The dirty little secret to WoW is that despite having 8 million players, at any given time there are only a couple dozen online per server that any adult with half a brain can stand to be in a group with.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here we go, I wasnt aware of this, but Square Enix, people behind Final Fantasy games, are already developing MMORPG for PS3, PC and 360.

So yes, we will get some! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.