400:1 Contrast ratio

1600 ANSI lumens with microlens

lamp life in low power mode (ca. 1250 ansi lumen) 4000 hour

Quiet fans 28dB

10-bit Digital Gamma Correction

In italy ca. 4705$

have anyone tried them ?

how they perform ?

next week a panasonic seller come to me to show them, i will tell you ....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check out a shootout I did using the Panasonic 711U.

I received my Panasonic 711XU about 2 weeks ago. Wow is right! It's silent in econo mode (you get about 4,000 hours of lamp life!) I can tell you that I've used it in a large conference room with a wall of glass and lights on for a noon presentation. I used econo mode and everyone could see the spreadsheets, PowerPoint slides, and desktop really well.

I've watched a couple of DVDs so far. I used a sheet as the screen (going to get a grayhawk as soon as I can resolve the WAF for a 96" wide screen) and a 96" wide image. At econo power (about 1200 lumens) the image was bright. This was at night but no curtains were drawn.

The image quality was wonderful. Nice thing: the extra short throw lens means that the projector can throw a big image in a small conference room or if you put it close to the screen. The zoom makes a big difference too.

Another thing about the Panasonic 711XU -- there's a 3-year warranty with next day projector replacement for 3-years! Nobody beats that warranty.

I plan to do a full review as soon as I get the screen, ceiling mount the 711XU (I have a design for a quick release mount that should leave very little on the ceiling. I expect this to cost ~$100), and calibrate it.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 711XU.

Honcho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the shootout it's very good but have you tried to connect an HTPC ?

Then i have to decide between 701xu with better contrast or 711xu with less contrast but brighter and with less screendoor (microlens)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Honcho, I really like the sound of the 711xu from your postings. Have you tried this on NTSC material? I do most of my TV watching on DirecTV watching sports channels (NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket) so I am most interested in this type of signal. Sure, I've got a bunch of DVDs, but they are watched rarely by comparison.

Another projector which sounds interesting is the Sanyo PLV-60HT, but I've seen reports that while it is great with a progressive signal it falls down badly with satellite input. Also, at 1200 lumens for between 1 and 2 thousand hours (and a $550 bulb) that doesn't compare well to 4 thousand hours at 1200-1300 lumens and a $380 bulb! Plus the ability to have 1600 lumens when needed....

thanks for any info,

Geoff Sherwood
[email protected]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honcho,

I am also interested in your feedback on the Panasonic 711XU and NTSC material.

Additionally I was wondering if you could make some comments on the difference in quality between the 711XU and the 711U. It looks like you've tested both based on your great shootout post and this post. I'm starting to see some of 711U's availabe at closeout type prices and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $1K for the XU.

TIA

Sean

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's a reply to several questions:

Asterix63:

I haven't tried a HTPC but I have used it a bunch with a computer connected giving PowerPoint presentations, product demos, and showing Web sites at XGA (1024x768) resolution. It's great for that too. No screen door. Contrast was good too. I think the MLA used to eliminate the screendoor in the 711XU is worth the contrast difference compared to the 711U (400:1 vs. 500:1). The 711XU also goes brighter. I've found that when I run the 711XU in economy mode (~1200 lumens) the contrast actually picks up. I can't tell if it is as good as the 711U (I haven't seen one and can't measure the contrast on the 711XU).

Geoff:

I've been using my 711XU with DVDs but via S-Video input so my observations are actually based on NTSC signals, since the line doubler in my DVD player (Panasonic RP91) doesn't effect the S-video signal. Of course the 711XU has its own line doubler that does effect the S-video input. It does a great job for well recorded material. I did see combing on some of the "Making of ..." features on DVD. I haven't looked at pure, off-the-air broadcasts. But if your DirecTV box has an S-video output, I expect that you will get the good results I've found for DVDs.

As for the Sanyo, I haven't seen one myself. But if you're using your projector for TV viewing, I guess you'll be using it more hours than someone who watches movies. So, operating cost is a big deal and the Panasonic wins big there. It also wins on brightness. And it has 2 VGA inputs (you can use one for a computer and the other for component inputs) as well as S-video. And don't forget the 3-year overnight replacement warranty that comes with the Panasonic. I hear Sanyo is bad for replacing LCD panels with bad pixels (check that out for yourself). The Panasonic 711XU weighs 8.4 pounds while the Sanyo weighs over 20 pounds so if you're going to try hanging it up yourself or move it,....

smnorton:

I did see a significant difference in contrast, brightness, and lack of screen door in the 711XU vs 711U. Also, the 711XU gives you 4,000 hours of lamp life instead of 2,000 hours for the 711U. You probably wouldn't notice the difference in brightness between the 711XU in econo mode and the 711U. Depending on how much you watch, you could make up for the price difference in lamp costs. If you look at the shootout you'll see where I got a good price for my projector (this could decrease the difference in price between the 711XU and 711U).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honcho,

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm going to see if any of my local dealers have the 711XU available for a preview.

-Sean

·
Registered
67 Posts
Asterix63, Honcho said in his shootout he was helped by Ryan Law of CCS Presentation Systems in San Jose, California (408-573-6248). He also indicated he had a good experience with them. If you are in Fremont that is pretty darned close for a dealer who comes recommended....

I've got no stake in this other than wanting to see another review of the 711xu. If he has a Hitachi 5500 that would be a great projector to compare against (and a whole lot of people are waiting anxiously for a first-hand review of the 5500 :)).

Geoff Sherwood

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honcho ....

Was wondering if you've made any new observations on the 711xu now that you've had it a bit. I'm looking for a projector under 4k - liked LT150 but a bit too noisy. Looked at couple LCD's but could see screen door easily on all (Have pretty good distant vision - like 20/15 or so). Funny thing was screen door (for me) seemed to get more distracting over time. Is this a problem on your 711XU - or do you think MLA takes care of problem.....

Thanks...

cd

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chuck,

Sorry it took so long to reply; I've been tied up with work.

The 711XU is working great. I don't see any screendoor on a 96" wide screen (actually a sheet), that's 120" diagonal, when I sit 10 feet back (with contacts I see 20/15 too).

smnorton,

Geoff Sherwood's right. Ryan's been good to work with and does follow through. He's right by the San Jose airport.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honcho:

Thanks so much for pointing me towards the 711XU. After seeing one, agree with you totally - this PJ rocks! Borrowed an LT150 for a while, but the Panasonic is MUCH better (of course more $ too). Bright, very good blacks (better than contrast ratio would suggest), great colors, surprisingly good scaler, 4000 hour bulb ...... Also, very reasonable price (under 3.6k).

Was wondering if you ever got a screen, and if so which did you choose. I suspect the optimal would be a grayhawk but is a little $$$ for me. Was also considering the Da Lite gray screen.

Thanks

cd

·
Registered
301 Posts
FYI: Although I got a couple of bad ones, ie. one with 3 hot pixels, and a replacement that got it's sync screwed up by my powerbook ;-), the image quality is very good. I should have my third one by this Wednesday. The specs aren't really that far off from the new line, ie. 701XU and 711XU. Compare the specs. If you're on a budget, B&H photo is selling the PT-L701u for $2499. The only difference is 50 pts less contrast and 200 lumens less brightness. However, I find the econo setting to be plenty bright enough for DVD and Data projection. I believe all other specs are the same as the 701XU for about $1500 less.

Skip Hunt

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, all,

I just found a review of 711xu, along with a few other PJs at pcmag.com. The article starts at:

http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,...3D15686,00.asp

On the right hand side of that web page, you'll find a list of PJs under review, you can click on 711xu to go directly to that review. 711xu is rated just okay.

PCMag's review is biased towards PC presentations, not HT applications. So, take it for whatever it's worth.

One thing I don't understand is that the review complains about 711xu lacking "digital input". What the hell is "digital input"?

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against 711XU. In fact, I am quite interested. I simply want to show you another review I just saw.

Regards,

Charles

·
Registered
108 Posts
CWan

Digital Input is DVI or Digital Video Interface.

2 types: DVI-D (digital only) and DVI-I (intergrated digital / anlog). Most people say it's the wave of the future, digital processing throughout, no conversion to anlog. Using DVI suppose to eliminate information loss due to digital to analog to digital conversion. An HTPC with a video card that has a DVI output (like the ATI Radeon) is required to transmit digital signal to the DVI input of the projector (a digital device).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.