AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
At first, the show was full screen (probably HD though looked like an up-convert) then the screen went blank now it's a SD up-convert. I called the station, however all I could do is leave a message for the engineer who was not in at the time.


So far, no Kentucky Derby in HD for me. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Congrats to WEEK-TV in Peoria. They went digital just this afternoon and things are looking great (at least the HD shots)!
 

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
Joined
·
965 Posts
When I first tuned in, we looked to be getting the analog feed. A bit later the HD feed arrived. The portions with the HD cameras really show the beauty of Churchill Downs. Fabulous weather for the race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Kentucky Derby switched to HD in my area now!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
D.C. and Baltimore asleep at the wheel as usual. Nothing but stretched SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Are you guys asleep?? In the first 1/2 hour there was only about 20% of the broadcast in HD. All SD stuff boxed or stretched. This is a disaster compared to last years HDnet broadcast.


CBS had 40 HD cameras at the Masters, my guess is they have about 5 here. Even NBATV has brought us glorious coverage over the last two weeks....what's up NBC? All your dough go to the Friends cast?


The opening should have said brought to you in partial High Definition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Looks like they have no HD recording equipment either. All the replays are SD CRAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Very dissapointing. NBC could have done alot better for an event like this. Seemed that there were only 3 or 4 HD cmaeras that were utilized infrequently. You would think they would at least have had the trophy presentation in HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
Only one short HD shot after the race was over. When in HD, the shots were stunning, but overall a big disappointment.


Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster

Are you guys asleep?? In the first 1/2 hour there was only about 20% of the broadcast in HD. All SD stuff boxed or stretched

In my area, up-converted SD signals on my local NBC station means that we get about a 14 or 15x9 STRETCHED picture WITH blue bars on the sides. Sometimes these blue bars may not be showing during up-converted SD signals (mostly due to errors) however I can tell the difference between stretched 15x9 and a OAR 4:3 signal.


When the Kentucky Derby started, the screen was a full 16x9 however it looked as it was an up-convert (not good at all with some jaggies). Then about a moment into the show, the screen went black for about 15 seconds and when the video returned, all we got was the standard 15x9 stretched picture as if it was a SD up-convert of the analog signal. (This sometimes happens during the Jay Leno Show) when there is a mess up.


Later our station finally switched back to the digital feed from NBC and I could tell the difference even from the SD camera shots.


Except for the mess up from the start from my local NBC, I felt that at least a couple more HD cameras could have been used along with some HD replay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
If I didn't love this particular horse race, I would have given up on NBC's coverage long before the start. I would guess there were at most, five HD cameras at this event and it showed. Even some of the HD shots were blurred and/or pixelized.


I believe that I am being spoiled by CBS' and NBA-TV's HD sports productions and simply have no tolerance for this type of third rate effort. I wonder why NBC has chosen such a half hearted approach to their HD content?


Signed,


Not Looking Forward to the Belmont in Ohio!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
for the cameras that were HD i thought it was pretty damn good looking, especially the commentators closeups.. The race wasnt bad either..


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,907 Posts
Yes the 10% that was obviously done with HD cameras was stunning. The other 90% was terrible looking, and locally we also had to suffer losing the signal about every 10 seconds. It was a complete fiasco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,027 Posts
It flicked to HD 2 or 3 times during the warmup, but in D.C. it was SD from about half hour before the race all the way to the end. I guess it was a local problem.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top