AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that about 2 weeks ago i got the Panasonic PT-50LC13 to replace my Pioneer 533. I liked this TV. Picture via my 931 or bravo was very crisp & noise free. I even thought the black levels were good. Then I watched spiderman on dvd. During a fight scene with green goblin I was hit by a sledge hammer-now i see why people knock the LCD RPTVs-the black level was terrible. It was like a little gremlin was in my set & had a light on inside the TV. So I started looking at other TVs. I heard people talking about the great black levels the Hitachi LCD RPTV had. After checking it out the black levels on either set was equal in my eyes(I still think the Panny is the better of the 2 overall, but thats another story). Then I heard one of my local dealers was having their 10% over cost sale. I went to check the DLPs(I previously disregarded these sets because of the price) & after some tweaking was surprised on how good the black levels were. I asked what kind of price I could get with their sale on the 46inch Sammy DLP-they told me & it was considerable cheaper that retail. I decided to return my Panny to CC & when I brought it back I let CC try to give me a good deal on the Sammy 50inch DLP(they didnt carry the 46incher)-they also gave me a really good price(it was still a couple hundred more than the 46incher), but I decide that getting the 50incher would be pushing the limits of my finances. I went back to the other store & got the 46incher(HLN467WX/XAA). When I got it home & hooked up to the Bravo I was blown away on how good DVDs looked-If I wouldnt have known I would have sworn I was watching HBOHD or ShowtimeHD. I now have to watch all the movies I watched on the Panny over again just to see what I was missing! The black levels are so much better on this set as well.

This set does have its quirks, though. The remote sucks-big time. For the $ these sets go for dont you think Samsung could have provided a backlit remote? Also the joystick on the remote is awkward to use. i also seem to get some sort of video noise in solid color backgrounds(ie a blue sky or a yellow house) & I notice the dithering artifacts(especially in HD signals) Overall Im very happy with this TV-DVD via DVI on this set is awesome!

·
Registered
252 Posts
At my local CC they have the Panny. Hitachi and Sammy all together in a row and the Sammy still holds its own against the 2 newcomers.

Now if only Sammy would drop their MSRP by $500 to compete with the new TV's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.