AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unbelievable. The Zune HD's TV Interface (using the TV dock) looks incredible! It's definitely inspired by Media Center. I guess it's a good thing the Media Center and Zune developers have come together and formed a single team at Microsoft.

Everything is stunning, the simplicity, the visuals, the smoothness. It's like a pocket HTPC.

Check out the video: http://gizmodo.com/5337532/zune-hd-t...or-your-pocket

God, if there's a simple, built in way to sync all of my recorded shows onto the Zune HD, this is an instant buy for me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have a 80gig Zune... it is not the new HD model ... although I use handbrake to convert DVD's I have to play on the zune in MP4 format. The quality is really good. I am not interested in outputting to a HD TV so my current zune is good for now. The HD model is sweet but there is no HDD model yet. I think the max is 32gig.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, that actually looks pretty good. Not fast (as mentioned in the review) but definitely tolerable.

Might actually have to consider the Zune now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think a issue is that it goes dark when docked. I understand for tv and such not having a glowing screen right next to the tv. But for playing music without turning on the TV (one of the issues people sight with MCE) this could have gone a long way to fix that. As for syncing it now you can already have it monitor your recorded TV folder and add new content I believe when it syncs.

Maybe someone can help me out though in the fact that I heard somewhere that the new tv format is not supported and has to be transcoded to the zune. Is this true?

I do think though this would be great as an extender but would rather see the true extender (streaming from server) type approach at least an option.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Wow, that is pretty nice. I wonder if its too much to ask for a phone integrated into this with compatibility with Windows Mobile apps. If there was such a thing, and it was stable, it would certainly be more preferable to me than the iphone; mainly because itunes is garbage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
too bad we found out today that it won't play encrypted DVR-MS audio tracks that you may have recorded with your media center, possibly because MS is too cheap to pay for the AC3 licensing...

But, other than that, it does look pretty damn good!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Does it at least play DVR-MS movies? One of the features I was hoping for was to export movies from Media Center to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan /forum/post/17002220

too bad we found out today that it won't play encrypted DVR-MS audio tracks that you may have recorded with your media center, possibly because MS is too cheap to pay for the AC3 licensing...

But, other than that, it does look pretty damn good!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the problem is the ac3 sound. I thought that it would play dvr-ms without ac3 without issues. But maybe I am misunderstanding the questions. But that is being sighted as the reason it will not play the hd over air recordings from the US.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The Zune device doesn't support native DVR-MS (or WTV) at all. The Zune software will transcode the DVR-MS/WTV recordings to WMV before syncing. However, since Microsoft failed to enable transcoding of files with AC3 audio, the only recordings that will sync to the Zune are recordings made in Media Center via S-Video/Coax from a Sat/Cable STB (eg. analog SD).

It will not automatically sync any ATSC content, any QAM content, or any CableCARD content. Edit: You would have to convert these yourself using different tools, then you can sync it.

Chris

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/17004750

The Zune device doesn't support native DVR-MS (or WTV) at all. The Zune software will transcode the DVR-MS/WTV recordings to WMV before syncing. However, since Microsoft failed to enable transcoding of files with AC3 audio, the only recordings that will sync to the Zune are recordings made in Media Center via S-Video/Coax from a Sat/Cable STB (eg. analog SD).

It will not automatically sync any ATSC content, any QAM content, or any CableCARD content. Edit: You would have to convert these yourself using different tools, then you can sync it.

Chris

Doesn't the Zune does handle a normal MPEG2 or MPEG4 file with AC3 audio for playback though? Why is transcoding necessary?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I don't believe the Zune (current or upcoming) supports any file with AC3 audio, nor does it support MPEG-2. It supports WMA, AAC, and MP3. That's about it for audio. For video it does WMV and MPEG-4.

What most people have not picked up on is that the max resolution of the new Zune HD is 1280x720. So, if you have a bunch of 1080i/p content it has to be transcoded before it will play on the Zune anyway. And of course if you have a video file with multi-channel audio (AC3, DTS, WMA Pro, etc) it will have to be transcoded beforehand to WMA, MP3, or AAC (2-channel).

To me, this really isn't a device to take your HD movie collection (be from DVD/BD rip or recorded) on the go.

Chris

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/17004975

I don't believe the Zune (current or upcoming) supports any file with AC3 audio, nor does it support MPEG-2. It supports WMA, AAC, and MP3. That's about it for audio. For video it does WMV and MPEG-4.

What most people have not picked up on is that the max resolution of the new Zune HD is 1280x720. So, if you have a bunch of 1080i/p content it has to be transcoded before it will play on the Zune anyway. And of course if you have a video file with multi-channel audio (AC3, DTS, WMA Pro, etc) it will have to be transcoded beforehand to WMA, MP3, or AAC (2-channel).

To me, this really isn't a device to take your HD movie collection (be from DVD/BD rip or recorded) on the go.

Chris

Wow, I thought because it carried the "HD" moniker it would be a real HD device. That's very disappointing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
To be fair, most of the audio issues could be fixed via future firmware updates, but it's doubtful MS will ever spring for the AC3 licensing -- unless something crazy happens and they actually start listening to people like us.

It truly is sad that they missed the boat on completely integrating this thing with 7MC and the Xbox.

With the Win7 release and new Xbox360 dashboard, they could have really hit it out of the park... but, they didn't.

It's still a sexy little toy though. It just ain't ready for our primetime!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
"What most people have not picked up on is that the max resolution of the new Zune HD is 1280x720."

Actually if you ask me it's even worse than that because the native res of the device is barely better than the original zune. I mean ok so you have HD content, well just play it back using pc. Clearly they use HD to mean radio but I'm sorry but it just isn't high def.

And I'm not some ipod fanboy I've had 3 zune, use nothing but 120g one now. But most people will be to stupid to notice or even question where the actual HD comes from or stand for..I mean come on a DOC will allow it, well gee so will my pc and that cost me nothing extra. So will anyones laptop...it's just stupid. And to me the touch seems annoying more than anything. Go back and watch the video and count the number of times he has to rehit the button to get it to respond.

I'll get one in the end maybe but it's just to small for me. My 120g zune is already full..oh wait that's all the more reason to buy this stupid thing..damn I'm bad at this.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 /forum/post/17011984

Actually if you ask me it's even worse than that because the native res of the device is barely better than the original zune. I mean ok so you have HD content, well just play it back using pc. Clearly they use HD to mean radio but I'm sorry but it just isn't high def.

This is true, but you really believe that a portable device with native 720p or 1080p resolution is going to yield any benefit over something like 480 x 272? Your watching from what, 24 inches away? Kind of like saying 1080p is mandatory for a 19 inch HDTV that you watch from 5 feet back.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Chris, there are a lot of near sighted people who keep their head only a few inches away from the screen when watching video; so having a 720p instead of 1080p display is just unacceptable on 1.6" screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/17012346

This is true, but you really believe that a portable device with native 720p or 1080p resolution is going to yield any benefit over something like 480 x 272? Your watching from what, 24 inches away? Kind of like saying 1080p is mandatory for a 19 inch HDTV that you watch from 5 feet back.

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts