AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found CD writing software that will let you define the order of files on a data disk? (not an audio CD)

I have 3 different CD writing programs but when I use them to create a CD of MP3 files they all put the files in alphabetical order. So of course when I play the CD in my car, it plays the files in that order. If I create a CD with multiple folders, the files in each folder are alphabetized as well. I want to create a CD of MP3 files with the songs in a particular order. I know I could rename the files, but this would be a lot of extra work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I suspect it's the software within the car player which is setup to play back in alphabetical order.

Prefixing your files with a 2 digit order number will take you no time at all if you use something like Flash Renamer's 'Enum' function. Be sure to use the 'Free Select' window within the app and simply drag and drop the MP3's into the window in the order you want them played.

I just tried it and it took about 30 seconds to prefix about 40 MP3's

Cheers :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by benny
I suspect it's the software within the car player which is setup to play back in alphabetical order.
That's a good point. The CD Player manual indicates that it plays the files in the order they are stored on the CD, but it may read the directory structure and alphabetize them no matter the order they were written. So maybe it doesn't matter, but the CD writer programs I have all alphabetize the list of files BEFORE it writes the CD, so I assumed it was writing them in this order as well.

Thanks for the pointer, I will try the Flash Renamer.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I rip using my CD's usinf EAC I let the program create the name as follows:

tracknumber-tracktitle. eg. 01-tracktitle

In that way, the OS does a alpha-numerical sort and play in the right order.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. All good suggestions.

I ripped the MP3s using MusicMatch, which also has the option of automatically adding the track number to the beginning of the file name. Unfortunately, I set it to use just the song title and ripped a several hundred songs before I realized why I might want to include the track number. Fortunately Flash Renamer has an option to rename MP3 files based on the ID2 tag info, so I was able to quickly add track numbers to the file names.

This resolves the problem if you create CDs with a folder for each album, but not if you want to create a CD with no folders or mixes of songs from different albums. I find a folder structure tedious to navigate, and my Kenwood CD player has some weird quirks when playing MP3s in folders. You can't use the skip button if you want to skip the last song in a folder and go to the next, it just does nothing. The random play only works within a folder, it will not random play all the files on a disk unless they are all in the root.

The "MP3BR Imager" program from www.mp3br.com turned out to be exactly what I wanted, thanks sigma957. It allows you to drag files into a workspace and sort them, then write a CD image without renaming or precopying any files. It worked as advertised with the Kenwook head unit in my car, the songs play in the exact order I set using it, regardless of the file names. It even includes the ability to create playlists by creating links to MP3 files on the disk under a separate folder. You can try it free for 30 days, but it costs $30 to register. The also have a program that will normalize the sound level on all your MP3 files. A web site worth checking out if you make MP3 CDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.