Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone ,

not to stir everything up here but there is a lot of confusion between D-ILA technology and LCOS.

IMO these are the same thing, the only little difference is that D-ILA is a trademarked name of the LCOS technology.

SO why not change the Forum name to what is a more objective name: DLP, LCD, LCOS Projectors ?

DLP is also a trademarked name and should have to go also as soon as other manufacturers besides TI will make these devices. For now they own the world monopoly so no problem. LCOS is different: more manufacturers will make these devices.It is like naming the forum DLP, LCD, JVC Projectors, this is not what we want is it?????

Like to hear your opinion about this.

Kjelt

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If you are going to use generic names, then the name

should be:

LCD, MMD, LCOS

DLP is the Texas Instruments tradename for MMD -

Micro Mirror Device; just as D-ILA is the JVC tradename

for LCOS - Liquid Crystal on Silicon.

I think it is OK to use tradenames in common usage.

After all, when you want to wipe your nose, don't you

ask for a "Kleenex" instead of a "tissue"?

Greg

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kjelt:
It is like naming the forum DLP, LCD, JVC Projectors, this is not what we want is it?????
yes, I'm OK with naming it that.

In fact, I think we should a have seperate forum for each of the technologies. I'm such a snob now that I could care less about LCD or DLP or whatever you want to call it. CRT for that matter too.

D-ILA rules!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 06-13-2001).]

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Vote #2 for "Pie Chart projectors Forum", aka the "Lamp Forum".

Come on over to the CRT forum and tell me when these things finally start working.

Oh yes.. visual acuity might have something to do with it. I am using a 17" monitor right now, from my couch. The monitor is over 6 feet away. I have used XGA LCD units, and clearly resoved the pixel structure on a 7 foot diagonal image, from 12 feet away. These digital PJ's don't do a damned thing for me. Can't stand 'em. At least not for any kind of motional video. Nice for computer games or pie charts though. I like computer games on a XGA unit, it's nearly enough to make me buy one, but, my absolute minimum s a true XGA unit. And certianly not anything with a color wheel in it, they bugger my eyes up. Headaches and eye strain, every time.

-----------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 06-15-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.