AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call this the "Deliverance genre" which started it all with Jon Voight and Ned Beatty- that movie is still #1 in this Genre.I saw Wrong Turn recently and although it was a bit too much assault violence- It scared the hell out of me which I expect a horror/thriller movie to do. This is a movie that will not bore you - you will never doze unless you are brain dead. It's gory and frightening but so were all the Freddy movies. Good characters too. Over the last 2- 3 years I rate this and Joy Ride as the best of this particular genre that I have seen. Both sb 3 stars out of 4 in Leonard Maltins Movie Book when it is issued next year. Both on DVD and they look great- especially on my panny XP-30. Fantastic rez.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just don't think Horror of today compares to the late 70's and 80's. Maybe I am too cynical, but I'll take Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Changling any day.

Wrong turn, reminded me so much of The Hills Have Eyes, lord knows why, it was good in parts, however, the ending was a little tame.

Joy Ride - I don't want to comment too much, but I did switch off halfway through, the actors were too wooden, mind you the DVD is a very nice addition to my collection..

Mark

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smith I respect your opinion. But it is way out in left field. BTW did you like Breaker Morant. Although not a horror movie or thriller it was one of the best war type dramas I have seen with fabulous acting. It was a Great movie. I watched it 5 times at least on HBO in the 80's. Won best Aussie pic as I remember.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I should probably stay in left field. Like I said, maybe I am too cynical about todays horror movies. Then again I liked Bad Taste and Brain Dead aka Dead Alive (US), both over the top gore fests, directed by the now very popular Peter Jackson in his native NZ. I also enjoyed the Brit flicks Dog Soldiers and 28 Days Later too, maybe my comments were alittle harsh towards Joy Ride and Wrong Turn, but it was just an opinion. I have a habit of being contridictive sometimes..lol..

I have never seen Breaker Morant, my wife says it is a good movie, however I have a love hate relationship with all things Australian, namely my missus..She loves Australia being Australian, myself, well home is where the heart is, and in my case the UK. Anyways the only Australian movies I have a passion for is Mad Max 1 and 2, I won't even comment on 3 as this as to be one of the worst movies sequels every written. Let us hope number 4 puts that wrong to right.

Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
I purchased Wrong Turn on a blind buy based on a few people talking about it at the workplace...not to mention picking it up for 13.99 is

a good buy.

I liked the actors..good devopment at a decent pace...I think they fell

off a little quick than the norm but whata you expect ?

I think the villians were a little too monstrous and abnormal.... probably

would have been more believable had they tamed it down a little.

The style of the incidents were scary and had some gore factor , plenty

of suspense scattered about the flick and enough at times to keep

you at the edge of your seat...some moments were predictable but not

enough to annoy.

A decent addition to your collection..with replay value , directly after

the ending I said to myself...hmmm gotta see this again, how often

do we do that ?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
While I found both movies entertaining (Wrong Turn and Joy Ride) neither particularily stood out to me (unless you count Eliza Dushku ;) ).

The horror genre seems to be focusing more on comedy and less on terror nowadays, and then you have flicks like Jason X which were neither funny nor scary. I would have to say that "The Ring" would likely be my current favourite in this genre, although you are referring to a "Deliverance Genre" which implies it has to have crazy ******** so I guess it doesnt fit the bill :).

Just curious what other movies made in the last 2-3 years would fit into the "Deliverance Genre"? I cant seem to think of any.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I liked Wrong Turn. Very entertaining. Had more than a few scary moments. And Eliza Dushku. I bought it.

I didn't care for Joyride. I just couldn't get into it.

Herm

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I thought Joyride was the better film of the two, but Eliza always gets points, so Wrong Turn is a must buy for her presence alone. Unfortunately I don't think she is as talented as she is beautiful. She just seems to play the same character over and over. However, I think Desmond Harrington is a standout actor of his generation. Hopefully a big name director will give him a chance.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Wrong Turn is my favourite Horror Movie of the last few years, it felt like a straight forward horror film with no silly boogeymen who constantly come back in sequels (( fingers crossed they don't make a sequel )) i very much enjoyed it and at 84 minutes running time they didnt pad the film out its a great lil horror film and Eliza is adorable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.