AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bumped accross the opportunity to pick up a WS55807 for 2100 new. From what I can tell this is a screaming deal. Is this a good TV. Please advise, I have to make a decision shortly.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
These tend to sell for about $2500 new these days, if you really search. More typical is $2700 - $2999. $2100 sounds like a great deal, especially if new from a dealer.

However, know that this set (and all 2001 sets) has many of its service mode tweaks disabled. For example, you cannot adjust red push. This is really only an issue for those who want to tweak the heck out of their sets, but most of us here do like to do that.

I recommend you look at the *************** forum for more details. Look at the Mits forum specifically. www.***************.com.

Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
I absolutely love this TV, and would highly recommend it, especially if you're getting a good deal on it.

The service mode lock is probably not even a consideration for 95%+ of the population, so enjoy the deal, knowing that I paid over $1000 more than you did.

·
Registered
404 Posts
No Doubt, great price. Grab it. I love mine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see people complaining that the DSS signal sucks on this TV. Others seeing this problem? I still have a lot of football to watch that won't be hi def!

Thanks for all the quick responses.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I wouldnt go so far as to say sucks. It's just that these tv's shine so well in HD that alot of times what happens is people have their seating so close to the set to truly enjoy the HD that once they flip to SD they're suddenly sitting so close that every single imperfection shows. Thats my experience anyway and I have basically the same set and only sit like 7 feet away which is optimal for me for HD and Prog. scan DVD which is 90% of my viewing anyway.

OTOH, whats cool about the set is you can do POP (picture outside picture) with it with SD sources so what I do is watch 2 games at once (say 1 off sat and one OTA) side by side with both images each appearing to be about the size of a 27" tv. Now suddenly the image doesnt appear...right in my face.. so the compression and artifacts arent nearly as unnerving.

------------------

Dan

Knowledge without experience is only information...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I suggest a '857 or '907 instead. The '807 owners always seem to bemoan their lack of a VGA/RGB input. The '907 HDTV picture is very impressive, but I dislike its internal line doubler even more than the one in the '857/'807. You can always bypass the internal line doubler by using a DVDO iScan Pro or similar, though.

There are lots of great deals right now, and the copy protection scare should only drop prices further, so don't feel pressured.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That sounds like a good price on a good tv. Course I am biased; I paid more for mine back in February. I hope its from a decent dealer....

Dont let the lack of a vga plug on the tv bother you. With cables you can plug in RGBHV if you so desire. Component are easier and allow you to stick in a dohickey to reduce red push if desired from dvd or hd boxes.

As mentioned by bpearse, zip over to www.***************.com and read up on Mitsubishis. Great place for tips and tweaks on a number of models though they do have a Mits lean. Let us know what happens....

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bdenman (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:
I suggest a '857 or '907 instead. The '807 owners always seem to bemoan their lack of a VGA/RGB input.
I have a PC hooked up to the VGA input and DTC100 to the RGBHV input on my 73907. Unfortunately, VGA can only do 640x480, and I can't use Powerstrip to adjust the raster, so overscan is a real problem. So as others have said, the lack of the VGA port is not a real issue since you're better off just using an RGBHV switcher to connect multiple devices to the HD input. If they ever make a switcher that I can control via remote, I would do the same.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to bite. Simply to good a price. I truly appreciate all the comments. Now do I want the Mitsu hi def receiver, or is there a better solution?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do you know if the VGA port on the '857 and '907 will accept 1440x960i? (It likely does, and this is the resolution that I use for a HTPC on my set, even though my set will do higher resolutions like 1800x1200i.)

A RGBHV/component switcher will cost you $250+, but no big deal. I actually didn't realize that the HD port on the '807 could optionally do RGBHV, so I retract my objection to the '807.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpearse:
However, know that this set (and all 2001 sets) has many of its service mode tweaks disabled. For example, you cannot adjust red push. This is really only an issue for those who want to tweak the heck out of their sets, but most of us here do like to do that.

I recommend you look at the *************** forum for more details. Look at the Mits forum specifically. www.***************.com.

Bob

Bob: We have good news. An ISF tech here in the DFW area has figured out how to fix the red push on ALL inputs by making some EPROM adjustments. You can see a link to this on the Dallas Home Theater Forum: http://dhtg.napurano.com/dhtgweb/dht...ML/000038.html

Steve

------------------

Mits WS55857, Pan H1000D, Mits SR-HD5, Linn AV51XX, Proceed AVP/Amp5, (2) PS Audio PowerPlant

[This message has been edited by Cirica (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:
Do you know if the VGA port on the '857 and '907 will accept 1440x960i

I seriously doubt it. One of the features of the Powerstrip utility is the ability to tweak the resolution on the video card. Unfortunately, anything beyond 640x480 on the VGA port either causes serious distortion or the screen to blank out entirely. So most HTPC users have opted to split the RGBHV input. My problem is, I wanted to be able to watch HD on one input and easily toggle to my PC input with my remote to check on email, downloads, auctions, etc. I guess the thought of getting off my lazy butt to flip the switch on a switcher was too much for me, so I just live with the overscan issues using the VGA port. At least the Mits automatically recognizes the input as 480p so I can play progressive DVD's using PowerDVD on the PC.

Gator, enjoy your new set! You made the right decision.

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 08-09-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.