AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 481 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I another note I also really am impressed with the remote. It has plenty of direct adjustment buttons on it. It also lights up nicely...

·
Registered
120 Posts
joerod

I see you have a z5 .how dose it compare?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B /forum/post/11820379

joerod,

How do you find the brightness of the VW60 as compared to the Ruby or other projectors that you may have viewed? Approximately what throw ratio do you have the VW60 set to? What size and gain is your screen?

Joerod-

Scott asked this earlier today, and I was wondering about the brightness as well, because the lumens numbers have NOT been very impressive. Could you address these for us. Hey, thanks for the info you've shared thus far. It really is helpful.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
The Z5 is my outdoor pj. I use it with a 242" blimpscreen. It is 720p but it will accept a 1080p resolution. It is nice but it does not compare to the Black Pearl. Especially with all the features! I checked out the Panel Alignment tonight and was very happy knowing I could dial it in perfectly. It reminded me of my old 65" CRT sony wv700 RPTV when manually doing convergence.
That feature enough is worth it!

As for brightness, so far I have to admit I need to wear sunglasses. Of course I am still below 10 hours so the lamp has not settled down yet. Speaking of lamps, I have to admit I can breathe easier knowing the lamps are less than half the price of the Rubys. At those prices I can keep 2 spares!
Watching the baseball playoffs and some football I found myself changing color to WIDE. The grass was such a nice green and the uniforms looked vivid and rich. For movies I still would use NORMAL though. I also checked out Cars and Pirates of the Carribean on StarzHD and they both looked unbelievable. The amount of detail with sharpness was perfect. Also the colors were spot on. This pj is going to turn more heads...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Joerod, does the black pearl have the new sony ability to dial in convergence to within a1/2 pixel for each color or is that only on the upper end pj

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 /forum/post/11829675

Joerod, does the black pearl have the new sony ability to dial in convergence to within a1/2 pixel for each color or is that only on the upper end pj

I believe the Black Pearl can be dialed in in .1 pixel increments. It brings a tear to a CRTer's eye.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
Sorry.
It is really cool being able to converge like that. And it gives you more peace of mind knowing that convergence is about as good as it can be...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My corners are perfect as well... the picture is phenomenal using HD DVD source out of my HTPC via HDMI. Wow, colors, sharpness and dark levels are fantastic. In fact the out-of-the-box settings were more than enough to light up my 135" Carada BW screen (bat cave). Damn could have gone bigger!!!

I just moved into my new house but will post some more details soon.

Just a note, my new Paradigm signature 100's, CC690, servo 15 and back/surrounds (with Anthem amp) sound fantastic and along with the VW60 makes a very impressive HT experience - or at least what I've seen in the first day playing with it. Can't wait to see what this HT can do fully tweaked!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
CR is crazy per unit according to cine4home, without calibration, it varies wildly (3000 to 1 to 6500 to 1).

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
joerod has a ton of mula can he sprae some for me HHEEHE ....please.

=D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta /forum/post/11833209

If I can be guaranteed 15,000:1 CR with the Sanyo PLV-Z2000, I'm getting that. If the Sanyos can get at least 15,000:1, even with a IFC calibration, at more than $1,500 less I can afford to get it calibrated. I don't see why I would want to risk getting a unit that's even less contrast than the original Pearl! I could care less about the Black Pearl being "sharper" and the convergence control. IMHO the colors were just fine too with the settings posted by SOWK, so colors aren't an issue with the Pearl either. I have 20/15 vision and from about two feet from a Pearl on a 92" FH SST, I didn't think it was "soft" at all. It's a shame that Sony makes such a great product and then can't get their act together to make sure every single unit is OOTB exactly the same as all the other units. Sony did the same thing by rushing out the PS3 before it was ready and had to release a ton of patches.

I am working on the Z2000 preview at the moment. The Z2000 has quite some potential. It is somewhat disappointing though that the dynamic Iris has not been improved compared to the Z4 / Z5. We made some modifications and developed a Z2000 "Ultra" Edition (like we did with the Mitsu HC5000), which reached actually 3800:1 native D65-contrast.. around 7500:1 with DI...

About the VW60, we will check more units in the coming weeks and let you guys know...

Regards,

Ekkehart

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I only watched DirecTV HD tonite and I was completely happy with the performance of the VW60. After working a little with colors and black level I was able to take it to the next level. Football helmets looked so detailed with their painted color that I thought they looked wet. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't raining!
There were a few good movies on that also looked impressive. I am now approaching 15 hours on the lamp so maybe it will settle down some. Even Skinamax HD looked terrific!
Almost to good which is why I am just now posting...
And again with the sharper image I am seeing a little more detail in close-ups. I was watching Wedding Crashers and some of the details even on the doors (when Owen would look through the door window) looked to good. Even more scary is a close-up of Lemmony Snickets. You can see Jim Carey's make-up perfectly. Have I mentioned how SHARP this pj is yet?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/11833164

CR is crazy per unit according to cine4home, without calibration, it varies wildly (3000 to 1 to 6500 to 1).

Quoting numbers without calibration is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what it does after careful calibration. These LCoS DI projectors are not as easy to calibrate as a DLP projector. It can often take some effort to optimize their total performance.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr /forum/post/11836254

Quoting numbers without calibration is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what it does after careful calibration. These LCoS DI projectors are not as easy to calibrate as a DLP projector. It can often take some effort to optimize their total performance.

Native contrast obviously influences calibrated contrast. Very surprising that I have to mention that here...

Regards,

Ekkehart

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/11834388

When will we see a production review with brightness measurements?

As soon as we have seen enough units to make a reliable review. These deviations show that reviews of single test units (normally picked samples), dont give accurate results - at least when it comes to this Sony...

Regards,

Ekkehart

161 - 180 of 481 Posts