AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR7009 and really want to setup as a 7.2.4 which means I need an amp for the last two overhead channels. Trying to keep below $200 including shipping. Seems to be a number of options on Ebay, but I prefer to buy something here is someone is getting rid of something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR7009 and really want to setup as a 7.2.4 which means I need an amp for the last two overhead channels. Trying to keep below $200 including shipping. Seems to be a number of options on Ebay, but I prefer to buy something here is someone is getting rid of something.
Where are you located?

-Tal

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It's an option, although it seems like overkill from a wattage standpoint. I was thinking I should get something with about the same wattage as the receiver. Or may I should drive all 4 object channels with a separate amp?

With Atmos, i would drive the main 2 channels with an amp...so you have plenty of power for both movies and music with 2 channels....Or even a 3-channel for the LCR. Then drive the surrounds with the avr since those don't need as much power. This way you have ample power for the primary channels.

What sensitivity are your speakers?

·
The Village Idiot
9,640 Posts
PeeEmm sent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With Atmos, i would drive the main 2 channels with an amp...so you have plenty of power for both movies and music with 2 channels....Or even a 3-channel for the LCR. Then drive the surrounds with the avr since those don't need as much power. This way you have ample power for the primary channels.

What sensitivity are your speakers?

My LCR have a 98db sensitivity, so they don't need much power. (Fusion 12 Tempests)

I haven't actually decided on the object channels yet. JD suggested some Yamaha ceiling speakers that are 90db. I have a pair of Monoprice 4104's that are 89db which I might match with another pair to keep the costs down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts