AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone!

I've gotten off the ground with my AMX setup in my apartment. It's taken a little bit to figure things out since my power control is all over tcp/ip and the strips are a little slow. I'm getting more proficient though. Got it triggering stuff on my Mac Mini by means of a perl script on it, so it's changing channels via HDHomeRun and such. Good times.

The last part is the lights. I've already got DMX-512 for the club lights (snicker), but thinking of using some dimmer packs set to relay pack mode to control general lights (and maybe some channels dimmable). In the future, maybe RGB LED.

But I need the AMX DMX512 box. The other option is to build one, using something like an ATMEL microcontroller.

I'd rather have the real stuff though.

I could use MIDI and use program change messages to drive the crummy console I have, but would prefer to have the AXB-DMX512.

Anyone have a used one they would like to sell, please drop me a line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, not trying to go from the AMX lighting protocol.

The AMX line of automation controllers have an option of a DMX-512 interface. It connects to the unit via their own bus, and then operates a single DMX universe. So basically, I can run DMX-512 dimmer packs in relay mode to operate some lights around the apartment.

You can preset the AMX DMX-512 unit (AMX AXB-DMX512) with a few "scenes" and recall them. It can do some other stuff as well.

I think they are normally used in a situation between say the house lighting console and the dimmers. This way the touchpanels can override the house lights, bringing them back up. Totally not my application, but I can see where it's useful .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts