AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. . .OK. . .OK You have all broke me and I will admit my weakness.

I used to be an incredible computer geek with all the tools to do this. But, my greed overcame my common sense and I was seduced into Sales Engineering. It turns out that I was really good at presentations and the money was better in Sales Engineering. So, I took my career in that direction that last few years. And, of course, when a recession hits, the high-paid Sales Engineers are one of the first to go.

The end result is that now my technical skills are a little outdated, as is my technical buddy list--any one of which could have instantly provide me with a Linux boot disk.

With that said and my underbelly showing, will someone please give me an idea of the easiest way to get a Linux boot disk. Unfortunately, I do live in a small town. I doubt if anyone in this town even knows what Linux is, let alone be able to provide me with a boot disk.

The easiest way I can think of is for someone to create an image of a Linux boot disk with a DOS or WINDOWS (98 or lower) disk image program--preferably using a freeware disk image program. Then upload that image to a location which I can d/load it from.

I understand a little hazing is in order, but I hope you will show me some mercy on my poor little soul.

Another thought, does this Forum have a file area? If so, that would be a great place to post such an image file for the future people like me.

Thanks for Everything,

Rich May

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rich

Cheer up. It's like riding a bike; fool with it for a while and it'll all start coming back.

For the linux rtv stuff

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=17245

Download the rtvpatch_image under RTVPatch linux (not win2k); unzip it, read it, give it a shot. (note the diskette you create cannot be read by windows but you can boot it).

More questions; askem.

Good luck

Tommy

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rich

Be aware that if you use the linux boot diskette version to setup two drives with over 150GB total storage you may start getting insufficient memory problems. People have been successful running twin 120s (240GB total storage) but in order to do that you must use the Win2K version of RTVPatch and specify large clusters.

Anyway

good luck

Tommy

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Building the linux boot disk is about as easy as "one click". I believe FlipFlop's package will do it all.

And for any questions of course you've come to the right place! KenL will provide all the hazing... then Mikeyboy and others will talk you through it in plain English!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardmay
...but I hope you will show me some mercy on my poor little soul.
Mercy? mercy???? we don't have to show you no stinkin' mercy....:p :p :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
So twin 160's is currently not possible except when it came that way from RTV? Hasn't anyone ripped virgin images off a 320 yet and made a patch that works? I guess I'll just keep waiting for SwapDV to add multi-drive support and invest in a 4040 for each TV and to avoid scheduling conflicts.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TanRanger
So twin 160's is currently not possible except when it came that way from RTV? Hasn't anyone ripped virgin images off a 320 yet and made a patch that works? I guess I'll just keep waiting for SwapDV to add multi-drive support and invest in a 4040 for each TV and to avoid scheduling conflicts.
TanRanger, Dual 160 replay 4000 hack has been overcome since February. Just do it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
TanRanger, Dual 160 replay 4000 hack has been overcome since February. Just do it!
Great! And thanks! I assume it's up on sourceforge somewhere?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.