Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what can one do?

A couple other members were on here just recently thanking Ted Hand at WTKR for getting them approved. But mine comes up - denied.

Are stations allowed to do this? Discriminate one request from another?

Any info would be helpful.

Brian

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
WTKR-TV has not, repeat not, approved any waviers for CBS-HD. Anybody who says they receive a waiver from WTKR is wrong. DISHNetwork will be contacted to see if anybody actually has a waiver in the WTKR coverage area. If any are found, they will be voided.

For legal reasons, WTKR-TV is unable to grant HD waivers. Believe me, I would like to, but my hands are tied.

Ted Hand

Director of Engineering

WTKR / WTKR-DT

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Why are your hands tied?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Yes, please tell us why your management denies HDTV to it's viewers. I take it that WTKR is not broadcasting HDTV and probably has no plan to unless forced by the government.

This crap really get to me. I sincerely hope Charlie Ergen is sucessfull in petioning the FCC to grant blanket waivers to people in markets that miss the DTV deadline.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
In Ted's defense, many broadcast engineers would love to broadcast HDTV. Usually the technical guys are as geeked on this new format as we are. It is usually station group management that says no.

I know the downturn in advertising revenues is hurting broadcasters. Corporate accountants are unlikely to make enough funds available for the digital transition if they don't think the FCC will hold them to the May 2002 deadline. By and large, the local engineers aren't the ones who are out to screw us.

Jim

·
Registered
599 Posts
Were just guys with jobs like the rest of you.

We do have input to how systems are put together, but we do not say how they are used.

I feel that ted has gone a long way in responding to the posts here.

He could ignore them and leave people in the dark.

But he has chose not to do that.

Thanks Ted

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I think my post is clear in that I am not blaming Ted. I asked why his MANAGEMENT is doing this.

While the above claim of broadcast engineeri's love for HDTV is true, there are quite a few who don't want it. Unfortunatly ther are also engineers in the business who see HDTV and DTV as a hassel they will need to learn and implement.

I have heard this from at least two top ten market chief's at a recent DTV seminar.

You know these people throughout broadcasting history.

Boo to transtsitors, long live tubes.

Boo to helical VTR's, long live quad machines.

Boo to microprocessors, long live relays.

and now

Boo to DTV, long live NTSC.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Try reading again.

It says "Lawyers" not Management.

Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
I think my post is clear in that I am not blaming Ted. I asked why his MANAGEMENT is doing this.

While the above claim of broadcast engineeri's love for HDTV is true, there are quite a few who don't want it. Unfortunatly ther are also engineers in the business who see HDTV and DTV as a hassel they will need to learn and implement.

I have heard this from at least two top ten market chief's at a recent DTV seminar.

and now

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ted Hand has been a friend to all the HDTV enthusiasts in Southeastern Va. If it was Ted's call alone I'm sure Dish Subscribers would be receiving CBS-DT , however, the station is owned by the New York Times.

I'm sure Ted is not the Quarterback of WTKR he's not calling the plays, he's just there to carry the ball.

OB

·
Registered
505 Posts
It is interesting that WTKR does not feel our market (number of HDTV subscribers in SW VA) is large enough to warrant providing us with HDTV at the current time, yet it is too large of an audience to let those advertising dollars go. If we are so small and insignificant then why worry about lost revenue?

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you go out to the Driver section of Suffolk you will see the real reason: A tower under construction (due to multiple delays) and a transmitter building with no transmitter in it! Amazing that simple facts like that can be so easily overlooked!

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie

and now

The question of additional labor costs, not just equipment, is one we have not widely discussed on this forum. I've heard this complaint about the learning curve from local broadcasters as well. Right now, is there likely a dirth of operators and engineers with solid digital skills and those same people expect and command higher salaries?

In this age of job cuts as a quick fix for falling profits, staying with the old technology is all about saving money. We have been reminded repeatedly that new technology is an irksome money drain to be avoided or delayed as long as possible. I've been told this in roundabout language in the past by more than one local broadcast station employee and at more than one station. One of my early disappointments, when I first learned of HDTV and these HT forums, was realizing that the enthusiasm I saw expressed on this forum, from broadcasters around the country, did not always extend to my local stations. Instead, it was met with a tepid or even hostile reception in some local quarters.

Certainly there are many, as seen on this forum, who don't think that way. But, Glimmie is right. An anti-H/DTV mindset is out there in the broadcast engineering community.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been silent, reading the replies and wanted to add my feelings.

My problem is not with Ted Hand, or whether or not WTKR has the money to get on the air right away. Honestly, I could care less.

What makes me upset is that we, as the viewing public, aren't allowed a choice to get our signal wherever we desire because the locals are afraid they'll lose viewers, then advertising dollars, and slip hopelessly in ratings. Or possibly into extinction.

Tough. Fix your programming, rework your news, whatever it takes. But earn your ratings. Build your audience on your own.

Stop holding us hostage so that the only way we can get network programming is through your station.

It's a sham because the airwaves belong to the American public. I believe the laws will be changed one day. Soon, I hope.

Brian

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sorry to be out of touch so long!

OK, here is the legal reason from NYT.....

The SHVA does not have language in it to address formats....

4x3, 16x9, 1080i, 480p...whatever.

If I were to grant waivers for CBS-HD inside the Grade 'B' coverage area...at some point someone who had ask for a regular, 4x3 NTSC waiver, could and would sue us. "You gave one to him, why not me". By granting CBS-HD waivers would be legal suicide.

WTKR will make MAY 1 with plenty to spare (fingers crossed)....I could have not made the November 1 deadline I had talked about in the spring if I wanted to...my antenna is on the tower, my transmission line is still on the ground. The tower has been greatly delay by other people on the tower that has nothing to do with WTKR. (not an excuse, just a fact) I have purchased ALL piceces of the puzzle, I just need to put them together. The transmitter will be in on 12/15/01. Work begins soon after 01/01/02. Today is 179 days until May 1. (see, those old Y2k countdown clocks do have a use). WTKR will have a web site for WTKR-DT soon after 01/01/02 with a webcam of me running around like a lab rat putting it together (if you want to see that!, why? I don't know)

As far as the comment, that DTV is a hassle and does not want to be done by engineers, well, not me. To built a HD station is why I left WRAL-HD in Raleigh, NC to come to Norfolk...I was in the transmitter room when Channel 32 when on the air in July of '96. I was the Engineer-in-charge of the first football game shot in HD (the demo reel everybody shows..NC State vs. Duke game, Sept. 7, '96). I live it and breath it!

Again I am sorry about the waivers. I saw it a good PR tool and a show of good faith. I hope all DTV'ers in SE Va and NE NC will hang with us, and I will be asking for your help with signal reports when we 'light' up.

Ted Hand

WTKR-DT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.