AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quickly switched to ABC on WTNH 10-1 in CT and was watching Spin City and there was a very bad lip sync timing issue.

Did anyone else have this problem? I am using a Zenith DTV1080 STB. The picture quality was good but the lip sync drives me crazy.

George

·
Registered
702 Posts
I did not get that many audio drop outs during the show (comercials seem to have them though) but that good ol lip sync problem was back.

I must say that the picture quailty seemed much improved though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also had a bad lip-sync problem with WTNH last night. I've got a Mitsubishi SR-HD5 receiver. The picture looked great, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The picture quality was very good. Maybe they just had some technical difficulty last night. Hope they get it resolved.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just started watching WTNH the past two days. Bad lip sync problem during NYPD. Seemed better during Philly... sound and pix would be in sync following commercial, but seemed to go out of sync as the show progressed. After next commercial break, it seemed the same thing would happen (audio timing would gradually go out of sync). Picture quality for NYPD Blue was great to me. I'm using a DTC-100.
Does anyone know if WTNH has gone to their requested higher transmitting power? I PM the engineer that joined the Forum last month to monitor problems, but I haven't received an answer.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I have not purchased an 8VSB tuner for my DISH 6000 because of ABC's inability to get their act together. Of course, they have little programming I think of as worth watching.

If WTNH (CBS) was at full power and their signal reached New Haven, I'd get the tuner, but they are not and never will be (I have talked with them about this), so therefore, no 8VSB tuner for me. :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Matt_Stevens wrote:

If WTNH (CBS) was at full power and their signal reached New Haven, I'd get the tuner, but they are not and never will be (I have talked with them about this), so therefore, no 8VSB tuner for me.
I assume you meant to refer to WFSB, the CBS affiliate in CT, not WTNH (ABC). Who was it at WFSB that told you they would never be broadcasting their digital signal at full power and when did they tell you that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was following the threads a month ago and it seemed like the engineer at WTNH had made some changes and that resolved most of the problems, I have not read anything else since then.

The picture quality is great, I even watched the horrible Drew Carey show just to look at the details and brilliant colors.

Anyone know if the WTNH engineer still lurks on the board? He had a few posts and sounded like he was genuine in trying to get this fixed.

Matt, I am also curious if your talking about WFSB (CBS) in Hartford. I have been putting off installing an antenna on the roof until they moved their antenna and boosted the signal. I am about 30 miles away and I don't think I would be able to get it with their current strength.

George

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeC
Anyone know if the WTNH engineer still lurks on the board? He had a few posts and sounded like he was genuine in trying to get this fixed.

George
He goes by DCM and a sent a private mail, but I'm not sure if he even gets a notification. Last night, the lip-sync problem on HD was horrible. I'm getting a strong signal using a DTC-100.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
I assume you meant to refer to WFSB, the CBS affiliate in CT, not WTNH (ABC). Who was it at WFSB that told you they would never be broadcasting their digital signal at full power and when did they tell you that?
Whoops. My bad. WTNH is about 6 blocks from. I meant WFSB.

I promised the person I spoke with that I would reveal his name. that was the only way he would talk with me. Basically, until analog is shut off, they will not go full power on their digital signal, unless forced to by the FCC. The guy who told me this isn't a low man on the totem pole and he hates the policy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Matt,

Have you heard anything on PBS HDTV plans.

Sounds like they are getting close to powering up Norwich.

I have also heard their are delays due to technial issues.

Any skiinny on HDTV on PBS Connecticut?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I posted this message earlier this week summarizing what I've been told recently by CTPV. Does anyone have anything more specific than I've been able to get?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hey guys....this thread was originally started to discuss lip-sync audio problems with WTNH-DT. If you want to discuss PBS, etc. email each other or start another post. Gets confusing when things branch off on unrelated tangents.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Caught a glimpse of Once and Again...and I mean a glimpse and the lip-sync problem I noticed a few nights ago was fixed. I remember from a month ago when the engineer posted, he said they do daily sync tests and sometimes it will remain for days, and other times it will last for only hours. I guess the same problem still exists.
Does anyone know if they have gone to a higher transmitting power? I do know the station had submitted an app for one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I watched a little of Once and Again and I did have lip sync problems.

I will check to see if it is better tonight on Alias.

George

·
Registered
8 Posts
We were aware of the lip sync issue and think we solved the problem today. Please reply if you see any issues with lip sync this week.

I am not a normal participant in this forum and had only been watching the other thread on us. This new one caught me by surprise when someone emailed the link to me.

I have a question for the forum veterans. Do you think the forum owners would have a problem if I created a thread to take a poll of the number of viewers we have?

dcm

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DCM, thanks again for your effort!

I know I am on other forums talking about WTNH as well, there seems to be a number of us using WTNH as our main source for ABC HDTV. A number of New Yorkers are also in the process of getting VHF antenna's to pick up the signal since they lost ABC in New York.

I don't see a problem with a poll since it is not marketing but just a research vehicle!

Keep up the good work!

George

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I agree with GeorgeC....you have been most helpful, DCM, and a poll would probably be beneficial to members of this Forum as well. I for one am willing to help you out with any feedback you need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.