AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an updated status report on WTOL in Toledo? They were up for a few days starting May 1 and have been off ever since. Weren't sure when they were coming back up but heard a rumor that they had a technical problem.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts
I get WNWO-DT 49 from Toledo fine, so I've been looking for WTOL-DT on 17. In the last week or so, no dice. I did call engineering, who told me they were aware of limited DTV testing, but had no other information.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got an email from the program director for WTOL where he confirmed they were doing some limited testing but expected they'd be broadcasting on a more predictable basis within the next few months.

Bob

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts
I spoke with WTOL chief engineer Eric Bergman today. He said they were testing last week when some switching equipment blew up. He expects that to be resolved soon, perhaps by the end of this week. They plan on carrying the CBS prime time schedule but beyond that it's still being discussed. Due to the extremely high cost of electricity in their part of Ohio, for now it's unlikely they will be on 24/7.

He says he knows of about 4 HDTV viewers that contact him, I said I'm sure there are more than that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is good news. I guess I'm probably one of the 4 people in NW Ohio that have contacted him. Now if we could just get WNWO and WTVG to step up to the plate. I don't understand why WNWO is dragging their feet other than the skimpy HD material on NBC. As for WTVG they indicate a Sept 1st start up date but it's anyone's guess as to whether or not that's real. The only thing that's going to get them up and going is if the other 2 start broadcasting on a more predictable basis.

Any of you NW Ohio SE MI people able to pull in the Detroit stations?

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure you are aware that WNWO is broadcasting full time on channel 49. Their lack of HD content is completely the fault of NBC who have only two regular HD offerings Crossing Jordan and The Tonight Show.

Good luck to all in their quest for more HD

·
Registered
264 Posts
And, since WTVG is an ABC owned station, shouldn't it have already been up and running? I thought Network owned stations had a deadline that has come and gone. I'm well aware that virtually no stations are paying any attention to the FCC mandated "deadlines" regarding the broadcasting of DTV - mainly because the FCC isn't enforcing it!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Anybody notice if WTOL is doing HD with any regularity? My timing must be bad. I heard they were testing sporatically but I guess I've been watcing the wrong times.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the email that received from Eric Bergman of WTOL. I notice they are on during primetime...broadcasting low def

I do not have all the awnsers to your questions yet, We are still evaluating equipment for purchase for the digital station. Some of what you are seeing is our tests. After the test period, things should settle down a little. We plan on operating the station from noon to 11:35pm weekdays and a somewhat shorter schedule on weekends. I hope to move to this schedule in the next three weeks. As far as the picture format goes, we will stay 4:3 for those times when we do not have HDTV programming availible, but when we do, we will pass it in 16:9 widescreen format. Thanks

Eric Bergman

WTOL-TV

·
Registered
274 Posts
Grahamster,

Thanks for passing on the latest from Eric. I also noticed it seems their signal has been cutting in and out. I'm using a SIR-T150 and the signal would go from 60% or so (7-8 bars) down to zero and back a few times a minute. Hopefuly the equipment they settle on will be a bit more consistant with their signal.

·
Registered
45,722 Posts
I've checked on WTOL-DT the last few days and it always seems to be on during prime time. From my location in the southwestern metro Detroit area, I'm getting a solid 70-75 signal on the DTC-100.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's definitely on each night during primetime, but they are not broadcasting HDTV. Hopefully they have made their equipment decision, and it is being ordered/implemented. I pull them in with a strong 88 plus signal with a $20 radio shack antenna on the DTC-100

·
Registered
45,722 Posts
Hmmm... I thought I'd seen HDTV....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ken,

I haven't in a while. I'm only seeing Pillar Box SD. As for the signal issue I'm pulling them in stronger than WNWO but I suspect I'm getting some multipath. The signal according to the bars on my SIR-T150 runs 8 - 0 - 8 - 0 - 8. I'm 19 miles from the transmitter as the crow flies and I have 2 amplified RS Bowties up in the rafters of my garage. I'm just hoping that while they're testing they're not running full power and this issue ultimately goes away.

Ken, you say you've been seeing HD on WTOL. When can you actually say you saw it last? For example CSI last night was SD fo me and I think Grahamster is saying he's seeing the same as me.

Bob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Solved my own problem. Basically my antenna arrangement was too good. It was picking up multipath signal and was cancelling out the primary signal. I eliminated the second RS Bowtie and and attenuated the signal on the remaining RS Bowtie and I'm good to go with a solid signal with no breakups. I guess smetimes you have to think stronger isn't necessarily better. BTW, got the hint about attenuating the signal to eliminate the multipath by doing a search of this forum. I don't know where I'd be without this resource.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
45,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fullwave2
Ken, you say you've been seeing HD on WTOL. When can you actually say you saw it last? For example CSI last night was SD fo me and I think Grahamster is saying he's seeing the same as me.

Bob
My latest viewing is the same as yours, all 4:3 DTV. I wonder what happened? Perhaps someone can call Eric.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just got this email from Judy Carter from the research area of Buckeye Cable. This is Good News!

Good afternoon,

Buckeye CableSystem has already tested HDTV on the Toledo system and is

working with their equipment vendors to acquire the equipment necessary to

provide the HDTV signal to customer's homes. Agreements will also need to

be arranged with the local broadcasters to allow us to carry their signals.

Buckeye CableSystem plans to provide a high definition offering that will

consist of national as well as local programming.

We are planning on offering a high definition tier to our customers before

the end of the year.

If you would be interested in the service you can send me your name and

address and I will put you on a list to alert you when the service becomes

available.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Judy Carter

Research Representative

Buckeye CableSystem

Her email address for those of you in NW Ohio on Buckeye Cable is [email protected]

This is good news.

·
Registered
45,722 Posts
No reply from WTOL, so for now they are 480i only.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I sent an email to Steve Israel, Director of Programming, yesterday asking for an update. He's been pretty good at replying so we'll see what he says. Hopefully.

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.