AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that Chicago by L is on at 5:30.

Titan tv does list it as being in HD is this true?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am astounded that after all that effort to create a campaign to raise money specifically for digital TV on WTTW, and after the major lead in to the premier of the digital HD broadcasts, that we are seeing what is being broadcast today.

Today 6/2/02, the premier local HD production "Chicago by L" is being broadcast on WTTW-DT starting at 5:30 and guess what, it is not being sent in 1080i high definition! Not being sent in 16:9, but rather being stretched and letterboxed!

Guess what that does to the checkbook of this donator?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
I am astounded that after all that effort to create a campaign to raise money specifically for digital TV on WTTW, and after the major lead in to the premier of the digital HD broadcasts, that we are seeing what is being broadcast today.

Today 6/2/02, the premier local HD production "Chicago by L" is being broadcast on WTTW-DT starting at 5:30 and guess what, it is not being sent in 1080i high definition! Not being sent in 16:9, but rather being stretched and letterboxed!

Guess what that does to the checkbook of this donator?
I am very disappointed as well. I sent them money when they first came on the air, but this really lets me down. I had a houseguest this weekend who had never seen HDTV, and I couldn't show her anything with WTTW. It's really sad that they take so little effort to use their digital spectrum to give us anything worth watching.

They're going to have to do something more before I send them another check, that's for sure. Shame on you, WTTW.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I was disappointed to see this in SD as well (though I was lucky to have recorded it via my HiPix when it first aired).

But raising money and building the facilities are two different activities. They have the transmitters and antennas, but they are probably in the process of building their HD master control room currently. The first day they aired HD, the image jumped when they switched back to SD upconverted material. This makes me think that they had to manually switch the input to the DTV transmitter. There would have been no tearing if they had HD integrated into their master control.

Now, I think they could have done all this a long time ago, but at least it is happening.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
They have the transmitters and antennas, but they are probably in the process of building their HD master control room currently. The first day they aired HD, the image jumped when they switched back to SD upconverted material. This makes me think that they had to manually switch the input to the DTV transmitter.
I respect your opinions but, please do not second guess what WTTW is doing. The station does NOT respond to email, does NOT supply information to the public and represented the 3rd largest PBS market coming in with the 52nd PBS station to go digital.

Currently, WTTW has available for its DTV broadcasts 168 hours of PBS 1080i high definition programing per week. It chooses to air 1 or 2 hours of that programming per week. It is able to "switch" to High Definition for that one or two hours but not for its own original HD programming?(Chicago by L). And it can't move a switch for a re-broadcasts of HD PBS programs?

My opinions of the Indiana PBS station broadcasting from the Sears Tower are changing. WTTW really does NEED competition like that.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:

I respect your opinions but, please do not second guess what WTTW is doing. The station does NOT respond to email, does NOT supply information to the public and represented the 3rd largest PBS market coming in with the 52nd PBS station to go digital.
I'm not second-guessing. I'm relaying what I've read on WTTW's discussion board and their responses to my posts there (under the handle "k8_fan"). I've also called WTTW, and had their engineers return my calls.

I'm not sure why my experience is different from yours. But I have talked to a number of engineers at different stations, and one common thread has been that setting up the transmitter and the antenna is a very different job than installing a master control system, editing suites, production studios, etc.

Quote:
Currently, WTTW has available for its DTV broadcasts 168 hours of PBS 1080i high definition programing per week. It chooses to air 1 or 2 hours of that programming per week. It is able to "switch" to High Definition for that one or two hours but not for its own original HD programming?(Chicago by L). And it can't move a switch for a re-broadcasts of HD PBS programs?
They haven't built their schedule around the live broadcasts from PBS. I imagine that could make you and I happy if they just connected the output of their satellite reciever to the input of their transmitter. But that would mean two different schedules. For better or worse, they don't want to do that. Their HD videotape machines may not even be currently hooked up. I don't know if you've looked behind the racks at a TV station, but it is a huge amount of wiring, all of which must be carefully connected and tested. It's not a case of opening the box and plugging the stuff in.

I expect to see WTTW showing all the original PBS HD programming within the next month.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams

They haven't built their schedule around the live broadcasts from PBS. I imagine that could make you and I happy if they just connected the output of their satellite reciever to the input of their transmitter. But that would mean two different schedules. For better or worse, they don't want to do that. Their HD videotape machines may not even be currently hooked up. I don't know if you've looked behind the racks at a TV station, but it is a huge amount of wiring, all of which must be carefully connected and tested. It's not a case of opening the box and plugging the stuff in.

I expect to see WTTW showing all the original PBS HD programming within the next month.
1. I do not appreciate that you direct your sarcastic remarks at me since my remarks were directed at the WTTW situation.

2. A number of PBS stations broadcast two different schedules. One nearby is Milwaukee. The HDTV broadcast channel is ONLY High Definition programming. When the PBS feed comes in the transmitter is already broadcasting in HD. There is no need to switch to another format. There is no need to even have personnel present to rewire racks, as you suggest.

3. It is a pity that you defend them with their current track record.

4. I will welcome the addition of another nearby Indiana PBS station when it begins to broadcast from the Sears Tower despite the strong objections from WTTW.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:

1. I do not appreciate that you direct your sarcastic remarks at me since my remarks were directed at the WTTW situation.
I wasn't being sarcastic in the slightest. Seriously. I was honestly stating that I'd imagine that make you, I and other HD viewers happy just to re-broadcast the national feed. No sarcasm intended.

Quote:

2. A number of PBS stations broadcast two different schedules. One nearby is Milwaukee. The HDTV broadcast channel is ONLY High Definition programming. When the PBS feed comes in the transmitter is already broadcasting in HD. There is no need to switch to another format. There is no need to even have personnel present to rewire racks, as you suggest.
I've spoken to the engineer in Milwaukee.

The difference between them and WTTW is that WTTW has plans to produce more HD. The Milwaukee station has a much more limited budget and doesn't have any plans to start producing any shows in the foreseeable future. So, just passing the straight PBS HD feed makes sense for them.

As I said, that would no doubt please you. But as much as I want to see a full schedule of PBS HD programming, I also want to see more original Chicago area programming like "Chicago By L". In order to deliver both, they have to build facilities.

Quote:

3. It is a pity that you defend them with their current track record.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm just coming at this with the experience of one who has built post-production facilities and an FM radio station. I've never built a TV station, but I'm sure they are not simple things to do right. I honestly believe WTTW intends to do HD right, and that we'll see a full slate of both national PBS programming and more new WTTW original HD shows.

Quote:

4. I will welcome the addition of another nearby Indiana PBS station when it begins to broadcast from the Sears Tower despite the strong objections from WTTW.
I've not been following that situation, but if it helps put a fire under WTTW that will be a good thing.

And no, these are not contradictory positions. WTTW's desire to do more than just relay the raw national PBS feed was apparent from their first broadcast day, when they showed one national show and two original WTTW ones.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the Wttw website they indicated that the Chicago L show would be in HD on at 7:30 p.m.tonight. In their forum for DTV they explained that 11.1 was for HDTV and 11.2 was for DTV in 4:3 ratio. On 11.1 tonight I only got what looked just like their analog signal. My DST3000 indicated it was a digital signal on 11.1 in my channel listing but clearly it was not a digital signal I was receiving on 11.1. 11.2 was digital (clean picture without any snow). Did anyone else receive the wide 16:9 HDTV on 11.1 tonight? Ever since WTTW went multicasting 11.1 on my box does not show the digital broadcast (that is if WTTW is really sending a digital broadcast on this channel). Please let me know what type of HD box you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsoles
Please let me know what type of HD box you have. Thanks.
I am currently using a Telemann HiPix PCI card with the AVS Forum-modified version of their software. Previously, I was using a Unity Motion reciever, and also have a RCA DTC-100. I don't currently have the last two hooked up, as the HiPix allows recording. I do have a Panasonic tuner/D-VHS combo, but the tuner is not hooked up as I do not have a component input on my projector.

The HiPix correctly displays the 1080i feed on 11.1 (usually showing a distorted upconvert) and the 4:3 window-boxed 480i signal on 11.2.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
On the Wttw website they indicated that the Chicago L show would be in HD on at 7:30 p.m.tonight. In their forum for DTV they explained that 11.1 was for HDTV and 11.2 was for DTV in 4:3 ratio. On 11.1 tonight I only got what looked just like their analog signal.
It was, once again, stretched out simulcast of their distorted upgraded analog signal on the digital channel. NO HD AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
On the Wttw website they indicated that the Chicago L show would be in HD on at 7:30 p.m.tonight. In their forum for DTV they explained that 11.1 was for HDTV and 11.2 was for DTV in 4:3 ratio. On 11.1 tonight I only got what looked just like their analog signal. My DST3000 indicated it was a digital signal on 11.1 in my channel listing but clearly it was not a digital signal I was receiving on 11.1. 11.2 was digital (clean picture without any snow). Did anyone else receive the wide 16:9 HDTV on 11.1 tonight? Ever since WTTW went multicasting 11.1 on my box does not show the digital broadcast (that is if WTTW is really sending a digital broadcast on this channel). Please let me know what type of HD box you have. Thanks.
Your problem is typical of Hughes built receivers. You can enter 47-1 on the numeric keypad to get a proper 11-1 at least for a while before it reverts to what you describe. See other posts about WTTW and 11-1 in Chicago for more info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Greywolf,

I used my DST3000 remote and typed in 47-1 and 11-1 digital (480 up-converted to 1080i) came up on the screen. I have been using a universal remote and had not thought to try this. I did not even realize the original remote had a "-" on it. Now I have to wait until WTTW broadcast HDTV again to make sure all is working. It is a minor nuisance to have to type in the channel knowing at least I can get to 11-1 digital.

This is why this forum is so good for passing valuable information along.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Unfortunately, the channel resets after a short time and the 47-1 has to be keyed in again whenever this happens. I've been e-mailing Toshiba every week for 3 weeks now with no response. I've also been asking people who have the problem to notify their set manufacturers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WTTW responded to my issue. Please see below.

By Webmaster on Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 07:27 pm:

Your report has been forwarded to our engineering department. Unfortunately many reports, like yours, are taking an enormous amount of research to properly identify the source of the problem as well as to develop the correct solution. As soon as one is found, it will be posted.

We would also like to encourage people with positive experiences with HDTV to help. Please share your stories...especially the steps you implemented to achieve your success.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Zenith STB and this is what I am getting: I get an 11-1 with proper program info that shows the analog signal that many of you are getting. I also get a 2nd 11-1 that has no program info but has the upconverted 1080i signal. And I believe I occasionaly get an 11-2 with no program info with a digital signal that I think is a 480i, because I can change the the screen size on it.

C

·
Registered
160 Posts
Copy of email sent to WTTW.

"The 1st week you turned on your digital signal was fantastic. "The Shape of Life" program was some of the best HDTV I've yet seen and I've been watching for 2 years. Since then only "Evolution" it was nowhere near as nice. You recently have missed many HDTV shows that were shown nationally by PBS. Why? There is an almost constantly running thread about your channel on the avsforum, If, you would like feedback on how people feel, and about how they are solving reception problems you might want to monitor the forum, maybe even contribute to the discussion."

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd also like to report that 11-1 continues to have lipsynch (video ahead of audio) problems. 11-2 is fine. Using a Dish 6000.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In terms of PBS supported programming WYIN out of Gary IN does broadcast the PBS programming when we expect PBS programming to be seen

Please support the WYIN-DT effort to establish broadcast facilities on the Sears Tower for their digital channel.

We will then receive not only all the PBS High Definition programming that is currently available and scheduled by the national PBS feed but also the HD demo loop. This loop is produced by PBS for the use of the public. It is for the public to have for the demonstration of and tuning of their HDTV devices, as well as for thier edification and pleasure.

Currently WTTW, the Chicago PBS broadcasting station, does not support the use of their public digital channel for the public use of the national PBS programming. They choose not to broadcast this publicly available HD programming on their digital channel.

WYIN-DT, apparently, does intend to do what is being done in the majority of all other parts of the nation, that is, broadcast PBS HD programming whenever available. Currently, PBS HD programming is available 24/7/365.

Support WYIN-DT in their digital efforts with your donations.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In a growing list of PBS station broadcasting habits

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

... it does appear that WTTW Chicago is really short-changing the Chicago digital market.

1. MOST all the PBS stations broadcast High Definition material independent of their standard SD programming.

2. Some stations broadcast and re-broadcast PBS programming at multiple times along with the PBS HD loop. HD programming is shown several times during the next few days after the PBS broadcast in HD.

3. Some channels switch to HD exclusive broadcasting during popular viewing hours, 8AM to midnight, independent of SD broadcasting programming.

WTTW Chicago choses not to provide the Chicago area with that type of programming and ignores the initiative designed by PBS for the public.

Support the WYIN-DT efforts to broadcast digitally from the Sears tower in direct competition to WTTW! Send them your digital donations.

( I am beginning to fell that WTTW should save a lot of money by broadcasting from 3PM to midnight.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.