AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on Wuxia style movies on Blu-ray?


From Wiki: Wuxiá is a Chinese martial literary form that has figured prominently in the popular culture of Chinese-speaking areas since ancient times to the present; the most important Wǔxiá writers have devoted followings.


How do movies like;
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • The House of Flying Daggers
  • Curse of the Golden Flower
  • Fearless
  • Etc..


hold up to the premium cinematic qualities of HDTV w/ Blu-ray? With the wonderful colors and expansive visualizations in this movie genre, are there any fan favorites here that are on BD?


Thank you,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts
There is quite a few good Wuxia films out now.

Fearless, CotGF, Forbidden Kingdom....to name just a few.

Check out YesAsia for imports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf70 /forum/post/15425965


Any recommendations on Wuxia style movies on Blu-ray?


From Wiki: Wuxiá is a Chinese martial literary form that has figured prominently in the popular culture of Chinese-speaking areas since ancient times to the present; the most important Wǔxiá writers have devoted followings.


How do movies like;
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • The House of Flying Daggers
  • Curse of the Golden Flower
  • Fearless
  • Etc..


hold up to the premium cinematic qualities of HDTV w/ Blu-ray? With the wonderful colors and expansive visualizations in this movie genre, are there any fan favorites here that are on BD?


Thank you,

I don't consider Fearless as wuxia, that's just a martial art movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/15430154


Anyways, I'm lookiing forward to seeing Ip Man on BD. It was pretty awesome on the big screen and a sequel is already in the works.

http://www.ipman-movie.com/

I'm assuming you're based in Asia 'mrhan', since you've already seen the theatrical premiere of IP Man....could you perhaps elaborate a little more on your impressions of the film? It certainly looks like a compelling story w/great casting, especially w/Donnie Yen in the leading role. The sequel looks all the more intriguing, what with the introduction of the Bruce Lee character!


I personally would like to see the Korean wuxia flick, 'Shadowless Sword' on BD...sure it's overstaged, but it sure looks (and sounds) good....the casting of the 2 main female leads, who are undeniably hot, don't hurt either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/15432419


I'm assuming you're based in Asia 'mrhan', since you've already seen the theatrical premiere of IP Man....could you perhaps elaborate a little more on your impressions of the film? It certainly looks like a compelling story w/great casting, especially w/Donnie Yen in the leading role. The sequel looks all the more intriguing, what with the introduction of the Bruce Lee character!


No, I just recently came back from HK and only by chance I had time to see it. I completely forgot about it after reading about it a few months ago so it was a real treat to see it on the big screen. I have to say it is Yen's best work to date. I've always thought his acting was wooden but he always made up for that with his martial arts skills. In this film (at least to me) I thought he could actually act and carry a film based on a real person. There was also very minimal use of wire fu especially with the Ip Man character. Thanks to Sammo Hung's choreography for keeping it for the most part reality based. They did take quite a few liberties with the history of Ip Man but I overlooked that and thought it was very enjoyable for what it is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous /forum/post/15444421


CotGF looks gorgeous on Blu Ray. ....if you don't mind the colors burning your retinas. :p

I have never seen GOLD look like this on screen.


Definitely a movie to show off your BD system with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous /forum/post/15444421


CotGF looks gorgeous on Blu Ray. ....if you don't mind the colors burning your retinas. :p

I was watching this the other day. It looks beautiful!



I'm not too fond of the audio, however. Yes it's got great discrete effects, and the LFE makes things a lot of fun but I found the high end to be too high. It was rather uncomfortable at times (and I'm not talking about the scene when the Emperor duels with his Second Son and their blades begin to scrape).
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top