AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming that the only source will be an HTPC, is there any conceivable reason to want a WVGA projector, rather than XGA?

At 1024x768, you can display every pixel on a 16:9 DVD, and get closer to real HDTV resolution. (80% vs. a mere 45%)

It doesn't seem like 1024x768 costs significantly more, either. What is the allure of 858x484?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Cheaper, $1400 street vs $2200-$3000 street

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
DVDs are 720x480, so WVGA can display everything.

Also, if you are going to be watching HDTV on your XGA panel without a Panamorph, you only get 1024x576(590k pixels vs 411k of WVGA).

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that a WVGA panel couldn't display full DVD resolution.. Just that an XGA panel can as well.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
DVDs are 720x480, so WVGA can display everything.

PAL DVDs are 720x576. So an XGA projector will be able to display 16:9 PAL DVD (1024x576) in full resolution, but a WVGA will not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The major advantage to XGA is when you display something in 4:3. You get 1024X768 (786,432 pixels), but WVGA you only get 640x480 (307,200 pixels). That's less than half the res.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The person in question is from Florida, so it not handling PAL resolutions is probably less important...I frankly could care less as I don't plan on owning any PAL films. Good point for other users though that might be referencing this.

I like having wide panels now that I am used to it. 4:3 material tends to look worse so it is kind of good to have it smaller than my high-quality widescreen material. 640x480 also gives no scaling artifacts :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
For DVD all things being equal the WVGA will be ok but there will be a noticeable improvement when watching HDTV on a XGA projector.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There have been many posts concerning scaling from DVD native resolution. Good scaling produces no artifacts. I get no scaling artifacts from either my Faroudja or HTPC on my XGA projector. Deinterlacing is another matter altogether.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I never understood the fascination with specs with audio and now I think it's even less relevant with video. There are many factors which influence your perception of the image other than the specs of a projector. If all manufacturers used the same calibration and techniques for measuring and reporting specs and if all peoples theaters were the same and if everyone's eyes were the same and if everyone liked the same elements of a projected image, then specs could be a good tool to use when selecting a projector. Until then, specs are a good tool to sell projectors but viewing one is the best way to buy one.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
David,

Good point. Try demoing a projector for yourself. Some people probably think I'm retarded for liking to watch 4:3 in the center of a 16:9 panel.

I remember getting into a thread a year ago on the HDTV forum about OAR HDTV vs cropped to 16:9 that was similar :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can't you just display 848x480 (or whatever it is for WVGA) on the XGA panel? I know you'd be wasting some rez, but there would be no scaling of DVD source

Then you also get the benefit when HDTV is the source

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yes, you can do exactly that. Assuming the projector can do 1:1 pixel mapping, you can display any rez natively as long as it doesn't exceed the total panel resolution. Good point and since you have both projectors in one box (assuming you have enough zoom range) you could try both images and see the effects of scaling a DVD image.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.