AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mass loaded vinyl or the stuff that www.acoutiblok.com sells appeared to offer the best sound blocking ability of all the materials I was considering for my hometheater. However another company, www.silentsource.com provided the material at about half the cost of acoustiblok. I determined that I needed about 220 feet to cover my room and ordered an extra roll as insurance. I throughly reviewed the installation methods with my contractor for the new home that I am building. However, he didn't bother to give the guys he hired to do the installation, complete instructions. As a result, they threw away a large part of the material and ran out with the ceiling completely uncovered! When I discovered it, the sheet rockers were preparing to sheet rock the room. It was WWIII. The contractor was refusing to stop them as he said they were paid by the job and could not be stopped. My response was "Like hell! If you don't stop them, WE WILL BE IN COURT!" My solution? Acoustiblok came to the rescue. I called them at 2 pm that same day. They had a roll out by plane that arrived in New Orleans at 8:45 am the next morning. The contractor had it by 9:20 am and everyone was able to finish on schedule with me there helping. Although more expensive, I must say that Acoustiblok is first rate with customer service. The other company, Silent source was very helpful but unable to get me more material in less than 4 days regardless. I highly recommend Acoustiblok. There website is very helpful with complete instructions that I was able to print and give to my contractor though the ass didn't pass them along perhaps because the guys he hired to do the job couldn't speak English.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bulldogger,

Now that you have had your hands on both... How do you feel about the Silentsource material as compared to the Acoustiblok stuff? Do you feel it is really comparable? Is the Acoustiblok in any way worth the extra money outlay? I want to possibly go this route also! Thanks!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
SOUNDS like a great ending!

Anyway can you give details as to how exactly the vinyl barrier was installed on both the walls and the ceiling? Much appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have dealt with http://www.acoustiblok.com/ a couple of times and they are top notch organization. It also doesn't hurt that they are local to me. ;)

btw, when considering this type of heavy material expect the transportation cost to be significant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.