AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Exquisite 2 meter Silver Serpent Component Cables today, I had them installed and the lines on my DVD movie 'Zorro' seem to have disapeered!

The RCA dealers 'icky' Yellow, white and red component video? It didn't even come close to the superior quality of these Silver Serpent Component cables. I can't believe a RCA dealer didn't 'know' that you need to have 75 ohm coax in colors yellow, blue, and green.

IMHO go with our sponsers 'flag ship line' Silver Serpent you will not be disapointed at all!!!!

I never knew how cables could make a difference, as these cables 'TOWER' over others. www.bettercables.com has new customer, for I will order again soon. Next on my agenda would be to update my S-Video cable from my webtv to the HDTV.

Question: Would it make much of a difference, to update the 'rca' phono jack video cable? The one coming from the Sharp Vhs Vcr to get a better quality picture or not?

I have had some success deleting just about all contrast and sharpness and using the black /bright? mode. I can get a fairly decent picture out of it.

I eleminated the Sima svs-4 s-video switcher. When the man I hired installed, all the cables for me. I could have the left side board in any of 4 colors Regal Blue, Forest Green, Red, or Plum I chose Regal Blue. I keep the set at the cool setting, that I always set my former TV to the blue tone.

For owners of the 38 inch RCA model F38310JVR4, my set was manufactured in March of 2001. I can only hear the fan running, when I get next to TV, I don't hear any fan noise from the front at all. I have never experienced such high end cables before I tried www.bettercables.com The Best that money can buy. From a satisfied customer that will buy again, for sure!

------------------

"smiles are contagious: be a carrier" :) Tony

RCA F38310 Wide HDTV

Sony CX860 DVD

Sony CX850D DVD

Pioneer F-1007 CD

Pioneer PDF-904 CD

Sharp VHS Vcr

·
Registered
779 Posts
I get a kick out of cable posts.

This poster raves about this $120 2M cable then over here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html we have someone (Mr. Wiggles who is a well respected contributor) who is running RGBHV video over cheap shielded cat 5 and is claiming excellent video quality. I use 3 35ft runs of rg6 with f to rca adapters and I think I have excellent video. The only cables that seem to suck are the ones that are provided with the $1000 STB we buy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Regards,

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I have a personal preference for Audioquest.

I just bought two sets (1m and 2m) of YI2Q R/G/B component

video cables tonight (for my new Sony 9000ES and my

Panasonic DST50), and I can't help believing they had

lots to do with why my Sampo suddenly looks even greater

than it did before.

Yes... high-end cables can REALLY make a difference (in

my opinion). I even used pure silver speaker wire for my

car stereo system (as well as in my home stereo system).

I think it's more than just hype.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 5 meter set of the Silver Serpents connecting my Panasonic RP-91 DVD player to my Toshiba TW65X81 which is tweaked to with-in an inch of it's life.

Without the benifit of an A/B set-up it is impossible to tell if the Silver Serpents improve the image. On the otherhand it is no worse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard I will agree with you on your choice, I don't know about audioquest. I do know that the Ratshacks cables had visable scanning lines. The RCA dealer that locked the set and stand togeter put my own ratshack 3 video set on I had.

They were 'NO' match for the scanning lines that disapeered when the Silver Serpents were connected. I believe in buying off a sponser who helps defray the expenses to have such big servors, to handle 'all' the traffic we really do have here at AVS!

Just yesterday I read that the servers on the forum called "Headwise" (about headphones), were going to be limited to 8 hours a day. There was a explosion of traffic, that the administrator didn't plan on the admistrator could learn more from our David Bott.

I learned what was needed for a 'future computer' to not 'burn' into a direct tube. I was going to make a costly mistake by buying a RPTV. Some of you semi or professionals, took the time and patience to set me straight!!!!

David Bott on the other hand is a 'wiley coyote', in his thinking. He as our forum adminstrator keeps things going for our board to be on 24 hours a day! That in itself is a 'momumental accomplishment'. He even added the personal picture

of 'our' choice to beside your name.

He needs our support in buying off of our sponsers, I am for backing him up all the way, for David to be able to continue this fine and growing forum. I will gladly buy my AVS made computer when I can get a bit more knowledge about just how computers work!

------------------

"smiles are contagious: be a carrier" :) Tony

RCA F38310 Wide HDTV

Sony CX860 DVD

Sony CX850D DVD

Pioneer F-1007 CD

Pioneer PDF-904 CD

Sharp VHS Vcr

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just ordered the Silver Serpent Component cables for my HD STB

I hope i can tell the difference over the factory cables that came with my Mits SR-HD500......

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Since the Sampo only has one YPbPr component input and I

have two YPbPr sources (DST50 tuner, DVP-S9000ES player)

I needed some type of A/B-switch for component video with

a bandwidth capable of supporting 1080i.

My solution (ordered, but not received yet, so I can only

hope it will work acceptably and not degrade anything) is

the Inline IN3582 switcher:

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3582.htm

Unfortunately, not being primarily intended for home theater

applications it has BNC connectors instead of RCA. And

that would require me to get six RCA-to-BNC adapters if

I wanted to use my existing Audioquest component cables.

Fortunately, I bought my Audioquest cables at Hillcrest

High Fidelity in Dallas, which is a very large Audioquest

retailer. And after discussing the issue with them, they

offered to take back my RCA-to-RCA Audioquest cables

(purchased just yesterday) and special order new ones to

solve my specific need.

Audioquest will put any connectors you want on cables, at

no additional cost. Just order them that way, and that's

how they get built for you. They are one fine company,

including building custom lengths if you need it.

So I've ordered one 2-meter and two 1-meter YI2Q component

video cable sets, each one having RCA connectors at one end

and BNC connectors at the other end!

That will allow me to plug my component video sources

directly into the IN3582 without requiring any additional

RCA-to-BNC adapter, and will no doubt result in the

absolute minimum (if any) loss. Similarly, the BNC output

of the IN3582 can plug directly into the Sampo YPbPr RCA

jacks, also without any BNC-to-RCA adapter required.

Retail price on the 1-meter YI2Q is $175, and $235 for the

2-meter length... no matter what connectors you request.

I checked on their YI4Q (solid silver) prices, but the $495

for the 1-meter ended the conversation right there. I

didn't bother asking about the 2-meter.

I have all-Audioquest interconnects for my stereo system

(including a number of 1/2-meter lengths) and have a very

high opinion of their audio quality. I also have Audioquest

S-video cables, and I can tout them as well.

And now that I've had YI2Q component video cables (only

since yesterday, admittedly) I can tout them highly as well.

Audioquest may be a bit pricy, but the quality is superb.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber:

Unfortunately, not being primarily intended for home theater

applications it has BNC connectors instead of RCA. And

that would require me to get six RCA-to-BNC adapters if

I wanted to use my existing Audioquest component cables.
Wrong. It would require me to get NINE adapters, since

there's an output cable to the TV as well which would need

to be connected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the cable thing is always going to be up to the viewers interpretation. Some people will buy a progresive scan hook it up with the cheapest cable mony can buy and say wow that picture is great why buy expensive cables. they never did any side by side comparison. I had some Moster cable video 3 component cables and I did not like there design real rigid bulky pain to rout. I sold them on ebay and went with bettercables.com mainly because of the good reviews I had heard. the imporvement was minor but I think the picture is improved. It really boils down to how picky you are. I have had poeple sit there and notice no difference betten progresive and normal output and I see a huge difference. If you like cheap cables then hey buy cheap cables. If you want the best posible picture the cheapest cable is probably not going to give it to you if everything else is setup properly. all cables have impedance and loss. how well this is controlled will affect you picture. cheap manufacturing sometimes equals poor quality control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.