AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! In an earlier thread, someone recommended shopping at www.newegg.com for computer parts and the like; they mentioned free shipping and no tax amongst other things. I have spent a little time comparing prices found on this site to prices at local retail shops and the difference is, dare I say, too good to be true. What's the catch??? Has anyone had any experience with these people? Do you suggest shopping thought them? Please all newegg shoppers, can you post your thoughts on this matter...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I just bought a new PC through Newegg, and I'm ordering parts now for my brother's system. They're the best online retailer I've ever dealt with, bar none. They'll ship your parts that same day in most cases.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Really good prices and service.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
There's no catch. Newegg and other internet retailers don't have the overhead of a local store. They probably have a warehouse in an industrial park somewhere instead of a nice looking store in an expensive retail location like a Best Buy or CompUSA. Newegg's prices are similiar to other internet vendors but Newegg is different because they have upfront and reasonable shipping costs, good information about the products, are honest about what is in stock and are reliable.

Go to www.pricewatch.com and you'll see that there is a whole world of internet vendors with similar prices. But I recommended sticking with Newegg because their prices are almost always within a few bucks of the cheapest and they have great service.

Actually, there is sort of a "catch" with the cheap internet prices. You often get what are called OEM or white box products instead of retail packaging. This means they come with minimal packaging, instructions and associated software. The hardware is the same but it doesn't come in a colorful box with installation instructions and bundled software. Usually it just comes packaged in bubble wrap and may have to download the drivers from internet.

-Dylan

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been buying from newegg almost exclusively for over 3 years now. Absolutely zero complaints -- things are shipped on (or ahead of) time and arrive in good condition. I have had to do a couple of returns and it's a simple, no hassle experience there too. Newegg may not have the best prices on the net, but it's hard to beat the combination of price and service.

There's other retailers that are in the same league, just not many of them. Check out www.resellerratings.com before making any purchase online for computers or electronics stuff -- most of the retailers are listed there. I wouldn't bother with any with problematic ratings or who don't have a rating at all. Note that newegg is #13, and most of the companies above them are specialty shops (case mods, cooling gear, etc.).

I can also vouch for Monarch Computers, since if I need something fast I'll buy it from them. Of course, that's because I can drive to their store.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Bought a bunch of stuff from them while building my HTPC. No problems whatsoever (except where they didn't have a specific component I was looking for). Highly recommended.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh forgot to mention...yes the prices are better than bricks and mortar stores 95% of the time. One thing to be aware of is that a lot of stuff is OEM and comes with a much shorter warranty if that is important to you. Retail kits for parts are more expensive but come with the longer warranty. NewEgg carries both. The store down the street is most likely only going to have retail kits.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another happy newegg.com customer here.

A little while back I built my nephew a PC and ordered the parts I needed from newegg.

I had to return a video card and they refunded my money, no problem. Plus, I think there's supposed to be a 15% restocking fee, but they waived it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phylicus
they mentioned free shipping and no tax amongst other things.
Certain items may have free shipping but most items have reasonable shipping rates. You'll have to pay sales tax if you live in NJ or CA.

I've ordered from them many times and never had a problem. Highly recommed. As Zathrus wrote, check out resellerratings.com for the lowdown on online computer vendors.

Another good online vendor is MWAVE

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've used them over 3 years to build 3 complete systems as well as a ton of upgrades. What is often an overlooked resource for newbies to the site is the customer reviews. Look for the products with a lot of them like the Athlon XP2500+ or some of the PC3200 Ram chips currently - find all kinds of information about overclocking and how to get the most out of a particular unit (for instance I just built one for my friend and we overclocked the $80 XP2500+ processor into a $400+ XP3200+ processor with a single bios setting - running stock heatsink and fan and still very cool under load). The majority of the people reviewing are fairly knowledgable system builders so if there are at least a few reviews you can get a good idea about a product and performance (plus locate any hardware conflicts that may exist as someone else will likely find them first). I've occasionally bought from other stores but Newegg is definitely my goto shop.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dylan pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I bought the following items from NewEgg for my new $1400 HTPC over 3 different orders:

Asus P4P800-VM Mobo

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB, Retail box)

Intel Pentium 4 2.8CGHz (800FSB) CPU (Retail box)

Creative Labs Audigy 2 Sound Blaster (OEM)

Lite-ON 52x CD-RW (OEM Black)

Samsung FDD 1.44 (OEM Black)

Couldn't be happier. And their user reviews were invaluable in helping me decide what to buy. Want to know how good any reseller is?

Go to:
WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM

With an average rating of 9.79 (out of 10) from over 5,100 reviews, you know you can trust NewEgg.

The only drawback for me was having to pay Sales Tax because I am in So Cal. But since NewEgg is too, I got my order within 1-2 days each time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
newegg is top notch. can't go wrong with them. i've been using them for 4 years now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just made my first purchase from them last week and bought some more things this week. Their website can be a bit difficult to navigate but that is about the only shortcoming. Read the reviews that are posted by others along with each item, as these are very helpful.

Last week I bought:

X-Superalien Blue Case with 500W supply

Soyo SY-4I875P motherboard

ATI AIW 9800 Pro

P4 3.0Ghz

Kingston PC3500 512MB (2 sticks for 1GB)

Western Digital 36GB SATA drives (the 10,000rpm one in a raid 0)

Maxtor 120 GB

Microsoft Optical wireless keyboard and mouse

Sony DRU510A DVD/CD

Windows XP Pro w/sp1a.

This was my first time setting up a computer from scratch, had a little trouble with 5 bent P4 pins which I had to "realign" with a razor blade while my son held on to the magnifying glass. If you buy the P4, read Intel's website for the EXACT way to open the box the CPU comes in.....

It all works! No problems.

And, if you are purchasing toward the end of the week (ie Wed, Thur, or Fri), do not bother with 2 day air, as you will probably not get it any sooner than with Express Saver, because of no weekend delivery.

As you can see, most are very pleased with the service.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have also been using them almost exclusively for about 3 years and can honestly say I have yet to come across a better e-tailer. Great prices, great selection and easy RMA process. I live in MD and have only ever used the standard free FEDEx saver shipping and my order is usually here in 2 days.

Dan

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera and a Lexan Media compact flash 256mb memory card from them this week.

Other online dealers, especially the NYC camera dealer scumbags, advertised lower prices, but it was all vaporware. Nobody would sell it at the advertised price. Or it was grey market.

Newegg had a very good price, and I actually RECIEVED the Nikon 2 days later.

Can't go wrong with new egg as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The BEST computer parts store anywhere, Even if you do have a problem they will fix it very fast. I had a problem trying to ship to an APO, Im Military (You don't even want to know where I'm located right now!!!) , and as it turned out, the CA post office did not recgonize my zip code because it was too new ( it seemed that west coast post offices were having this problem). The order kept cancelling (and my money was always refunded!!!) I called em' up and the sales rep told me that he would give me free shipping to a friends house so they can mail it to me, they even threw in a few T-shirts.

Just my two cents......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Newegg is a great site, personally though I do all my computer shopping at googlegear.... which is now known as zipzoomfly....... the person that decided that name should be shot and fed to wild cats.

Googlegear is a just tad more expensive, but if I recall newegg was out of stock on some popular motherboard at the time and googlegear never gave me any problems, so I had no reason to switch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.