AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our Family room 35" CRT crapped out on us, and while adding a screen and projector to the media room was next on the wish list, I really think we'll need to replace this set sooner rather than later, pushing those purchases off some more.

With a three-year old, TiVo is our lifeline to watching any TV, and the Media Room and Family room share a connection to a 140-hour capacity standard-def DTiVo box.

While the media room sports a 53" HD-Ready Toshiba, I have yet to make the switch to HD as the investment in the HD DTiVo (plus upgrading storage capacity) is just too rich given potential longevity/support issues of the platform by DTV.

So, HD is not the driving factor in replacement for the 35" set, but price (unfortunately) is. I'm coming off of two months out of work earlier in the year and still trying to build up some of the savings depleted during that time. While we could certainly afford a larger or better quality set, I really can't rationalize spending $1k plus on a replacement TV at this time.

At the same time, it seems foolish to put $260 - $300 into a replacement 4:3 32" CRT set, which seems to be the cheapest price point for that size, when there are a few HD-ready sets that can be had as low as $500.

My thought is to get a budget HD-ready set now for use in the family room, then transfer that set to our master bedroom a couple of years from now once I've made the move to full HD throughout the house, and put a better quality set into the family room viewing area at that time.

So, with that background, I ask, What Would You Do?

I've ID'd four potential sets, and while I've found some broad-based comments on some during search, other than vague references to some geometry issues with Samsung, I didn't find a heckuva lot of info on these models and thought I would ping the forum to see if you have opins/links to threads that may discuss pluses/minuses of some. I'm leaning toward the Samsung (though it's over my arbitrary "$600 or less" price) or Magnavox at this time.

Samsung 32" HDTV Monitor TX-R3265 on sale for $630

Magnavox 30" HD Ready - 30MW5405/1 $599 (plus a $25 BB giftcard w/purchase)

Advent 30" HD ready - HT3061A - $498

Panasonic 27" HD ready CT-27HL15 - $494

As I'm typing, I realize that size is also a consideration (one reason why the Samsung is appealing), as a 30" ws set's viewing area is equivilent to only a 25" 4:3 set in NTSC mode and is roughly 15% smaller with 1.85 or 2.35 signals vs the same signals viewed on a 35" set. Going from a 35" to a 32" 4:3 set is about a 20% loss in viewing area regardless of mode.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford
Another potential candidate?

Phillips Model: 32PT9100D
I'd go with the Samsung 32" set. Yes, you'll read about some geometry issues, but most of those are coming from the new SlimFit sets. The 32" model has been out for quite some time and I wouldn't hesitate getting one for myself if I were in your shoes.

One caveat with Samsung - there is an occaisional (sp?) lemon in the bunch. Sometimes even 2 lemons. But once you get your hands on a nice Samsung, you've got a real gem. If you live close to a shop with a good 30-day return policy try the Samsung. Exchange it if you can't make it right with a few tweaks.

Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the Panny is out. After calling tons of WalMarts in the DC area, a rep finally said, yes they had one in stock. Drive an hour each way, and of course it was wrong model (plus was unboxed and so full of dust it must have been sitting in the back for years).

Had manager go and check basically any/all WalMarts from Fredricksburg va to Baltimore without any in stock, so this looks like a no-go. I think Don got one heckuva deal...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel dirty -- I bought an Advent...

So, after resigning myself to the Samsung, I headed to my local CC which had an 32" Advent HD-ready 4:3 CRT in stock for $350 and I bought it (HT3251A). What the heck, if I don't like it I can bring it back in 30 days, right?

So I get the set home and installed. DirecTV is being input via coax (output from a DirecTiVo that also feeds a Tosh 53h71 in my media room) and I have an older Toshiba DVD player input via s-video.

After a few tweaks with Avia and Video essentials, the picture came out surprisingly good, though reds are a little saturated and needed to be toned down past the correct color adjustment.

Still don't know if I will keep the set, however, because of an annoyance with regard to menu "jitter," for lack of a better term. While the picture looks excellent, when displaying the TiVo menus, once or twice a minute you'll see a "pop" or jump in the menu display. This does not *appear* to affect the video signal or actual picture, but simply the menu overlay.

Does anyone know what may cause this phenomenon? Is it somehow related to the fact I'm using a coax input? Would switching to composit AV inputs potentially help? I've gone with coax because it's the easiest transmission method from the downstairs DTiVo given the distance needed (about 30'). I could buy a custom length composite cable set for around $85 or so from Bluejeanscable.com (which I should do anyway, as the DTiVo's coax out is mono only), but don't know if it would help.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford
I feel dirty -- I bought an Advent...

So, after resigning myself to the Samsung, I headed to my local CC which had an 32" Advent HD-ready 4:3 CRT in stock for $350 and I bought it (HT3251A). What the heck, if I don't like it I can bring it back in 30 days, right?

So I get the set home and installed. DirecTV is being input via coax (output from a DirecTiVo that also feeds a Tosh 53h71 in my media room) and I have an older Toshiba DVD player input via s-video.

After a few tweaks with Avia and Video essentials, the picture came out surprisingly good, though reds are a little saturated and needed to be toned down past the correct color adjustment.

Still don't know if I will keep the set, however, because of an annoyance with regard to menu "jitter," for lack of a better term. While the picture looks excellent, when displaying the TiVo menus, once or twice a minute you'll see a "pop" or jump in the menu display. This does not *appear* to affect the video signal or actual picture, but simply the menu overlay.

Does anyone know what may cause this phenomenon? Is it somehow related to the fact I'm using a coax input? Would switching to composit AV inputs potentially help? I've gone with coax because it's the easiest transmission method from the downstairs DTiVo given the distance needed (about 30'). I could buy a custom length composite cable set for around $85 or so from Bluejeanscable.com (which I should do anyway, as the DTiVo's coax out is mono only), but don't know if it would help.
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your set.

I would bet your problem is a result of overscan bounce. If you can use test patterns from your Avia disc and access your Advent's SM, you may be able to resolve this.

I am unfamiliar with the Advent's, so I can't help you with the SM particulars. Maybe an Advent owner can help.

Cheers! ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Not certain if it's an overscan issue (but it's something I'll look into). My theory at this point is it's something related to the way the DTiVo outputs its menus vs its video and how the Advent handles it.

I can't access the TiVo Community Forum from work to post over there, but I think it may be a simillar situation as described here regarding output from a Replay TV box: http://www.replayfaqs.com/4DCGI/Deta...ZQTTQAWUROIVET

Quote:
The ReplayTV 5000 series 480p "progressive scan" component output may result in a picture which flickers/jitters on your Digital TV. This is most notable in thin lines, cartoons, or sports scoreboards. You will immediately notice this when using the progressive scan output if you pause the display and notice partial lines being displayed. While paused the display will not flicker. Switching to the SVHS will usually resolve the problem, but at the cost of slightly reduce picture quality and with some televisions, the inability to use the digital audio input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.