AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To this point, I have only been looking at projectors that are WXGA because of their supposed benefit with HD, but in doing this, it seems like I am eliminating almost all projectors. What am I really giving up if I should go with a UXGA (1280x1024) or SXGA (1024x768)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you are getting your terms a bit messed up. UXGA is 1600x1200 and SXGA is 1280/1365x1024. XGA is 1024x768.

With sxga you are giving up nothing in terms of resolution, the 16:9 portion of the image is still equal to wxga and if you throw in an anamorphic lens, you get greater resolution. But, without the the lens anyway, you will have to deal with grey bars/masking etc.

Xga is can still deliver a good image, especially if you are mainly concerned with dvds, tho wxga projectors are bit more "future proof".

Todd

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. So, if I got a UXGA, I would not have to deal with the bars except on the sides correct for 16:9 AR? If I got a 1280x1024 SXGA, then I would have bars on the top and bottom for 16:9 AR since it would have to zoom to compensate for the smaller width, right? I am definitely concerned with future-proofing since I would like the proj to last me 3 to 5 years before upgrading.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Uther,

I think you may be a bit confused with Scaling and Resolution, unless of course you are going to Pixel match your source, which I somehow doubt you are doing.

Both the UXGA, and the SXGA are both 4:3 Aspect Ratio panels. Any source that you view will be scaled to fit the panel in the best way possible. Meaning a standard TV picture will fill the entire screen, and a Widescreen Picture will be placed in the middle of the picture with "black bars" above and below.

IMHO, if you are looking to "Futureproof" your projector, make sure it has the following:

HDTV Support (The specs will say if it's supported)

HDCP DVI Port (Which seems to be gaining momentum)

Both of those options mean you should be able to add an HDTV receiver in the future without a problem (theoretically, nothing is futureproof) Provided of course that you mean HDTV support as your futureproof.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whithama wrote
Quote:
Both the UXGA, and the SXGA are both 4:3 Aspect Ratio panels. Any source that you view will be scaled to fit the panel in the best way possible.
Right, but what I am trying to avoid is having to horizontally mask. Also, I do not want to give up a lot of resolution in HD if I happen to go with 1280x1024.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey, okay if you want to avoid Horizontal and Vertical Masking and you must have the mask, then you should go for a 4:3 aspect ratio panel.

Now, if you are worried about not having the number of Vertical Lines of resolution (ie number of pixels) then consider this: no matter what, any HD image will have to be scaled to fit any UXGA or SXGA or XGA device. That being said, of course you want a panel that will have enough lines of resolution in the 16:9 area to match as closely as possible the HD output source so that scaling is minimal. So, consider whether you will be receiving a 1080i or 720p signal when looking at the resolution of the panel you pick. For example, if you are receiving 720p, then an SXGA panel would probably be okay. Obviously, an idea panel for HD would be 1280x720 (like the HD2 Mustang chip), but you would have to calculate the resolution of 4:3 chip you would need to have 720 lines (or 1080) in the 16:9 area.

Does that make sense or help in your thought process?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.