AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying a variety of indoor antennae, this summer I went up on the roof and installed a nice Channelmaster 3021 outdoor antenna. I didn't put a rotor on it because I figured that if I could get intermittent reception on some channels and really strong reception on others, I would be fine. Also figuring in to this decision was that I was less than 6 miles away from just about all of the local stations.

I was pleased with the results. I could get all of the local digital stations as well as some of the analog on my Dish 6000. During one of WXYZ's various outages this summer, I went up on the roof and moved the antenna slightly, because I thought the wind had moved it around. Once the problems with WXYZ were over, I was back to getting their signal until this fall.

Suddenly, I couldn't receive it at all. I'd get channel lock and then I'd get a 88 signal followed by a zero. It would bounce up and down like crazy. I had changed nothing in my setup. So I looked around for the problem. I posted here asking if others were having difficulty. Some people said they were but not the same one I had. So naturally, I blamed the manufacturer. I called DISH and yelled and screamed until my poor face turned blue.

They said it was multipath (though they had a different term). I said I'm in Michigan!! It is flat as h*** here. I can get the same analog channel with no interference!! I want a new box!! and a new 8vsb card!!! They said no dice!

So I said if I borrow another box and I get this channel on my current antenna, will you guys compensate me for my trouble? They said sure, we know we're right.

So I went and borrowed another HD box. I still couldn't get the WXYZ. It WAS my antenna! So I went up on the roof and added a five foot extension on to my antenna. Now I get rock solid signals on all of the channels (Though my signal strength on Fox 2 is a little low) and my former arrogance is long gone.

Just thought that I'd share a hard lesson with the group. Luckily only my pride took a fall and not me from the roof!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.