AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reprogrammed my Mits set for OTA signals and noticed that WYCC-DT (20.01 and 20.02) was detected. 20.01 is broadcasting the color bar test pattern and 20.02 is blank, but I think I read in the Sun-Times that this PBS station's HD feed goes live tomorrow.

I wonder if they'll show the HD loop like WTTW-DT?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
What kind of signal strength are you seeing?? I tried getting them yesterday afternoon and I didn't get any reading from channel 21. Thanks - Rick

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
They were only on a short time. I got the usual 100. Check my profile for equipment used.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rad
What kind of signal strength are you seeing?? I tried getting them yesterday afternoon and I didn't get any reading from channel 21. Thanks - Rick
Sorry, my Mitsubishi set doesn't have a signal strength indicator - for all the great features of the set, this is the one missing feature that I really wish I had.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I saw it on 6pm yesterday and off around 10pm yesterday.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
They seem to be in a testing phase. Signals only appear in the evening and are not regular programming.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Anyone heard any news about WYIN-DT17 (PBS Gary/Merrillville)? I think they were due on 5/1 also.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UncD2000
Anyone heard any news about WYIN-DT17 (PBS Gary/Merrillville)? I think they were due on 5/1 also.
They were notified late in the game that planned rent increases for a downtown Chicago transmitter location would be too much for them so they will be transmitting from near their analog location. They received an extension due to the change in plan.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just got back from a week on the road, and having WYCC-DT 21 up is a pleasant surprise. We now have every digital station in the market on the air except for WYIN-DT 56, licensed to Gary IN. Currently I have a 100 signal strength but no picture, and I'll tune in tomorrow night to see what they have during primetime.

We also have a bonus station in that WCIU-DT 27 is carrying WFBT-TV 23 on subchannel 2, which they are not required to do; WFBT has not been given a digital channel assignment by the FCC.

While HD content is limited to those few networks that are producing HD programming, basically here in Chicago we aren't missing anything. Every HD feed that the networks are producing is, by and large, dutifully passed through by the network owned-and-operated local affiliates.

I believe this is a very pleasant situation, overall, for viewers in the nation's #3 market. More HD from WYCC-DT would be nice, of course, but until then, I offer my welcome of their SD programming to the digital realm.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Except for the very first day that someone reported them up I've not been able to receive 21-1 or 21-2 (which I could for one day). Are others still able to receiv them or are they running a very limited schedule???

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
So what's the scam here with WYCC. Did they turn their transmitter on for a couple of hours on 5/1 so they can tell the FCC they made the date and then turned it off???? Except for that first day I haven't seen WYCC-DT on the air since.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a problem I cant explain.

I have 2 tuners, a HiDTV tuner card in a PC, and a F31380 TV (built in DTC-100).

On the tuner card, WYCC comes in at a 72. Thats better than many other stations, even WBBM.

On the DTC-100, WYCC isnt even there. It can decode the PSIP, but not much else. Yet I receive all the other stations just fine, even WBBM.

So how can it be so much better than the other stations on the tuner card, yet be so much worse than the very same stations on the DTC-100?

It doesnt make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is multipath, but channel 20 analog doesnt show any ghosting. Its weak, but clear.

Something wrong with their PSIP?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Now I'm getting the same programming on WYCC-DT as the analog channel. It's still 480 though.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I've been getting maximum signal strength but no programming for days now. Is anybody seeing anything or are they throwing away electric bill money?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
I've been getting maximum signal strength but no programming for days now. Is anybody seeing anything or are they throwing away electric bill money?
I've given up even trying to get WYCC-DT. My Dish6K shows a stong signal but looks like PSIP is messed up, it doesn't show what channel it is. Even when it was showing a channel # it was alway channel 21, not a remapped 20 and I could never get my box to tune it in. I tried sending an e-mail to the address on WYCC's web site for engineering but it kept getting boucned back.

I've said it before, Chicago has to have one of the worst records in the entire country for the stability/reliability of digital stations. When you start to know the names and e-mail addresses of the engineers at the stations something is no right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've gotten WYCC-DT on and off for the past month. It appears they've had the TX up and running (I get a 20.0 db signal near Woodfield). At first I noticed them on from 6pm-10pm and then for a week or so (two weeks ago) they were running the signal fulltime. The past week I've got a signal, but no picture. I also noticed them playing with the size...going between 740 to 1080 (not true HDTV) though.

I'm glad to see them since they run a lot of PBS programming and the DTV signal is far superior to the snowy, fuzzy analog signal I've always gotten on Channel 20.

Also, I've get a weak signal from WCIU-DT (27)...but this wasn't the case. About a month ago I was getting them (along with "Me-TV") very nicely, then the signal vanished, then I was able to trap it again but at a reduced signal about a week ago. Anyone know what's the story here? Also, is there a listing regarding the renovations and/or shutdowns of either the Sears or Hancock antennas for upgrades?

Lastly...I got my first DTV DX the other night (I've had my tuner since March)...I got a beautiful signal from Ch. 30 (WSBT) and 42 (WNDU) from South Bend, In. Both locked in nicely on my Haupagge tuner...I was able to get a snowy analog signal, but the digital was very strong and very little pixilating. Usually late July & August are the best time for DX and I'm curious what I'll get or what others do.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.