AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WYIN (PBS for Gary/Merrillville/Northwest Indiana) responded to my email inquiry with this info: since they requested a change in their license, FCC approval is again required. However, the transmitter has arrived and is being tested - the antenna is being installed, but operation is probably "a couple of months away." At the same Cedar Lake location (ground elev. 725') a new 1535' antenna for WYIN analog Ch. 56 is being installed, and power will be increased to the 5000kw maximum (from present 1350kw and 1004' onsite antenna) "within a few weeks." So many of us in Chicagoland who have not been receiving WYIN will have a shot at the analog signal soon, but DT17 will be delayed a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know interest in WYIN-DT is not on a par with WBBM-DT, but I just want to be sure anyone that cares gets this info. I'm waiting to see if DT17 can be received with an attic RS U-75R at 56 miles. In the meantime I may try to set up a horizontal array of two 93.4" dipoles (rabbit ears) in the attic. Just curious to see if it improves signal reading on WBBM-DT3. My single dipole gives fine reception and a constant 82 reading. I'm assuming a horizontal pair would need to be separated by a half-wavelength minimum, so I will need a clear area over 23' wide along the front of the attic. Also want to move our common (condo) antenna from the rear to the front of the attic for better analog reception, but don't know if there's room.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quote:
I'm assuming a horizontal pair would need to be separated by a half-wavelength minimum, so I will need a clear area over 23' wide along the front of the attic.
Generally the elements in a Yagi like that are much closer - between 0.15 and 0.25 wavelength. (you trade off gain for directivity.)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Doug. I will experiment with various closer spacings and see if the signal readings change. I will probably be fortunate to maintain the present single dipole signal reading (82), but you never know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.