AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a X 1 -Version 3.8.. I heard that the new Firmware for the Infocus 4800 Has better picture control and such.. How can I get a Copy of the 4800 firmware update and will it work on an X 1?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slammy
I have a X 1 -Version 3.8.. I heard that the new Firmware for the Infocus 4800 Has better picture control and such.. How can I get a Copy of the 4800 firmware update and will it work on an X 1?

Some people have reportedly hacked the 4800 firmware to be compatible with the X1. However, I have never heard anyone say there was any dramatic increase in PQ or any difference at all, for that matter.

Stick with the X1 firmware, keep your warranty intact.

htr

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
HT, agreed, i run a HTPC which should be able to give much more than the 4800 firmware gives (ie in adjustment etc)

·
Registered
248 Posts
wouldn't he be able to reapply the X1 firmware anytime he wanted and then send the unit in for repairs? ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have uploaded the 4800 firmware to my X1, no noticable improvment in picture. What I wanted was the ability to adjust contrast, brightness and picture ratio directly from my programable remote without having to go through menus. It is more convient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Infocus will not void your warranty if you perform the upgrade. The worst that could happen is the need to send the unit back to infocus if the upgrade fails when attempting.

That might happen if your power goes out and lighting hits the house. :confused:

Justin_NC

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mago
I have uploaded the 4800 firmware to my X1, no noticable improvment in picture. What I wanted was the ability to adjust contrast, brightness and picture ratio directly from my programable remote without having to go through menus. It is more convient.
A friend of mine bough a X1 yesterday and I sent him the hacked firmware for the 4800.

Mr Mago, I know you stated that there was no noticable improvement in picture quality but were there any advantages to "upgrading" the firmware to the 4800 besides the touted 4000 hour lamp life??????

Is Mr Mango's experience typicall, or has anyone noticed any improvements?

thanks,

HIB

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I,m just Joe average videofile so I didn't notice any improvment. I have seen post from those that say the picture is better. I can say for sure it isn't any worse. You get the 4,000 hour with the X1 or 4800 firmware. A long time ago Bob from Infocus stated the Gama settings for the 4800 are set more for film.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I also have an x1 and I,ve tried the 4800 (version 1.4) on my x1 and didn't notice any noticeable quality gains in fact it seemed to me that i had lost some depth to my blacks so I thought maybe the 4800 doesn't have the clear segment on its color wheel...just to confirm my suspicion I tried the presentation mode and sure enough the image didn't get any brighter like it did with the x1 firmware....it would make sense to remove the white section from the 4800 since its designed more for HT use.....maybe thats why it needs separate firmware. If thats true then maybe its possible to "blackout" the clear segment on an x1 and load the 4800 firmware to prevent the "sync" issues that would normally arise. The only difference would then be a slightly darker projector since the 4800 would not normally have the blacked out section..........just a thought. Has anyone out there actually had a look inside a 4800 yet that could possibly confirm this?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It is my understanding that the X1 and 4800 are identical in hardware, meaning the colourwheel also will be the same.

Anyone else like to also confirm this?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mago
A long time ago Bob from Infocus stated the Gama settings for the 4800 are set more for film.
Actually, I don't think Bob ever got back to us with an answer on what is different in the firmware between the SP4800 and the X1.

The only statement I've seen was in the Projector Central comparison of the SP4800 and X1 , where they said the video (not film) gamma tables were adjusted:
Quote:
Gamma tables have been adjusted to optimize video on the Screenplay 4800.

As far as functional performance goes, the X1 will do everything the Screenplay 4800 will do. But the 4800 is, according to InFocus product management, preprogrammed for optimal video performance, while X1 owners may want to do some calibration to get it tuned to its best for video.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed
It is my understanding that the X1 and 4800 are identical in hardware, meaning the colourwheel also will be the same.

Anyone else like to also confirm this?
Yes, Bob Williams has said that the hardware is identical.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats what I was looking for.....Thanks..I still don't understand why the presentation mode wasn't any brighter than the rest with 4800 firmware loaded on my x1....any ideas or can anyone else confirm...could have been a glitch i guess but i did try it 3 times.

TIM

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm very curious about that too. Normally whites get quite a boost when you turn on presentation mode.

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my X1/4800, didn't get brighter in presentation mode. Perhaps the presentation mode is disabled in the 4800 firmware or it is a bug.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Guys, I just tested this myself with SP4800 ver 1.4 (at default settings) and when I turn Presentation mode on, the whites pop out just as they do with X1 ver 4.1

Not sure why you're not seeing this on yours, unless it depends on the SP4800 firmware version or something. Keep in mind that it is only the brightest whites that will pop, so you need some scene with a good bright white element in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.