Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.rk-productions.net/theaterpics.html

The first image isn't the best but numbers two and three are pretty good. I used a 6 megapixel digital SLR and changed the photos from 3000 x 2000 pixels to 750 x 500. They actually look better this way. Maybe the resampling got rid of some of the screen door effect?

I used the often mentioned blackout cloth with the shiny side as the projection surface. I stretched it over a simple frame made of 1" x 4"'s and stapled it in place. The staples are on the surface of the screen but black gaffers tape covers the entire wood part of the frame. The frame is 84" by 56" and here it is matted to the 2.35 ratio. My mattes are black cloth that attach at the top by velcro in the top corners and center of the screen. Without the center velcro the material drops into the projected area. The bottom matte is the same black material with a wood board, similar to carpet molding, to keep it from sagging. It attaches with velcro on the sides but obviously not in the middle as I would need black velcro on the screen.

The screen was hung on my back wall over black cloth that goes from floor to ceiling. I placed the same cloth over much of adjacent walls as well. It really cuts down on the reflected light. The photos were taken on a tripod with a 1 second shutter speed and no flash. The photos are at an angle as the tripod could not be directly in front of the projector or the center column would block the view. Lastly, the projected image is 74 inches across.

Two weeks ago I had no idea I would have a kick-butt home theater like this. Thanks to everyone here for making all the suggestions you did.

Greg Matty

P.S. I would have embedded the photos but I don't know if that is allowed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
looks awsome! is it possible to take pics of the back side of the frame and mabye several different angles? I am looking into either BO cloth or Parkland. How does the BO stretch and was it fairly easy to get it smooth?

that looks really good, I can't wait to get mine up and running :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blackout cloth was very easy to stretch and get tight. I just stretched and stapled from one side to the other. I was surprised at how easy it was to do.

I'll think about pulling it down and getting photos of the back side but I am concerned I might damage the screen. Basically I made a rectangle out of two 84" 1 x 4's and two 48" 1 x 4's. The smaller pieces were placed inside the larger one which makes the screen 56 inches tall. I placed two more 1 x 4's inside the rectangle for additional support. With the gaffers tape over the wooden frame, my usable screen size is 76" x 48". For 4:3 viewing I just move the projector closer to the screen and deal with unused white screen on the sides. I was going to make the screen conform to the 16:9 ratio but that would make a 4:3 image a little too small. A full 4:3 screen would have to be 55" tall to get me the width I needed and that wouldn't work in my room.

To hold it all together I used a three inch angle bracket on the four corners and T-brackets on the two center support boards. The corners needed additional support so I added a six inch straight bracket to each of them. I probably should have angle cut the four border pieces but I don't have a saw and the lumber place was kind enough to make the straight cuts so I went with that. It is actually pretty stable.

Lastly, the screen sits on four nails pounded into the wall and into a stud. They stick out from the wall about half an inch and the screen just rests there. I am worried about it falling down but figure the edges of the nails have probably dug into the pine enough to keep it there barring an earthquake. The velcro that is attached to the frame to hold the mattes was stapled with the screen hanging on the wall. The screen didn't fall down but I was carefull while stapling it.

Greg Matty

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the Great pictures Greg! I too plan on using a DIY screen, so thank you for sharing you building experience too. Your screen looks great, and I cant wait to start on mine.

Robert

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks for the great description! that should help me get everything ready. Dont take the screen off the wall if it could damage it. I think I can build it from here. thanks and congrats on the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.