AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can x-10 and UPB co-exist on the same power lines in the same house?

I currently have a couple of x-10 devices (along with a controller) and want to know if I grab some UPB devices (along with a controller) if I could use both together.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Yes, I dont think it would be a problem. I would try to replace the X-10 devices with the UPB devices as soon as possible though especially if you have only a couple of them.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
The one thing I dont agree with is the 95% reliable factor.

I think in the real world it is more like 80-85% reliable. And way slower than the newer stuff.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I just installed some of the new Insteon switches. They are Smarthome's version of UPB and are also X-10 compatible. So far I have been very pleased with their operation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the moment, I'm taking the UPB claims of 99% reliability at face value, though I think that assumes a passive phase coupler in all installations. If anyone has a different experience, please let me know - I'm about to buy 20+ switches!

I'm really interested in the speed issue. This is the first anyone's mentioned that UPB switches are slow. I have heard the common complaints about X10, and how Insteon will fix all that.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the speed of the major protocols (UPB, Insteon, Z-wave, Zigbee)? I'd really like to hear anything anyone has to say before my own construction starts. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what's HAI's equivalent of the x-10 powerline controller (1132U or simillar)? It seems that all of HAI's controllers are stand alone boxes that come in several sizes (number of devices they control), but haven't found anything that will let a PC do all the controlling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've also been looking at the Insteon and HAI UPB systems. What shocked me was the cost, about $90 for a switch and the same for a duplex outlet. That would get pretty darn expensive if you used very many!! Any hopes costs will come down in the near future?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, UPB switches aren't cheap. I'm seeing $75 per switch on Smarthome, similar on the PulseWorx and WebMtn switches. Insteon seem a little cheaper. I have read on the web from some HAI dealers that the HAI switches are cheaper, but no one can quote me a price. I assume it comes bundled with the security system.

PulseWorx sells a USB and serial PC interface for UPB. The specs are on the pulseworx website, look for Powerline Interface Module (I can't post URL's)

I assume it is being sold where PulseWorx switches are being sold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The HAI 600 watt UPB switches are selling for $65 each on homesecurityandautomation.com, one site where I found them. The outlets aren't showing up yet.

Adsbar- You are building a new home? We are in the HVAC phase on ours, starting wiring in about one week. Are you planning on a lot of UPB lights? Are you going to use the HAI Omni controllers? Interested in knowing what others are doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I'm planning on a 5000+ ft home in Wisconsin, hope to break ground in November, move in in July 06. I won't be around for the construction, so I'm trying to get a rock-solid plan that my builder can implement. I decided on UPB for switches and automation because the forums had a lot of dealer feedback with good reliability. No one mentioned that the switches were in any way slow. This made HAI a no-brainer as they sell their own switches, the switches are a little smaller than the PulseWorx, and rumor has it it may be cheaper to get them via HAI. I'm planning to install a HAI Omnipro II. I'm not so sure about the HAI touchscreens, as they don't seem very configurable (I won't be able to run MainLobby off of them or do much with HAL 2000). Are there alternative touchscreens to do all this at one point or should I just plan to put touchscreen tablet PC's in the walls?

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.