AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is not quite on target for this forum. I have a Pioneer Elite TV, BK AVR307 receiver, Sony HD100 satellite, Sony ES1000 DVD, VCR with S-video. All components run into my receiver, I believe that the HD100 and DVD use component cables, thus leaving no more component inputs in the receiver (but still at least one free set of component inputs on the TV).

Forgetting the risks of burn-in, how can I hook up an X-box in HDTV mode? I would like to try out the HD mode of the X=box and run the 5.1 sound through the receiver. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hacky,

I also have a similar setup with the B&K307 (Mits TV, Echostart 6000 & Toshiba DVD) and of course a Xbox.

All cables go to the receiver, and only 1 cable from my receiver to the TV, so in order to connect the Xbox, I bough a switch box at Best Buy for $30 (Radio Shack has a similar one), I got a switch box that has 4 inputs and 1 output, it has white/red for stereo, yellow for composite video and s-video.

I use the yellow for the green, the white for the blue, and the red for the red, there is no picture degradation that I can see, I got this tip from other users in this forum, some people also use Y adaptors which I tried and works fine, but if you forget to turn one device off, then you get a mess of a picture, but it does not hurt anything.

I chose the connect the DVD and Xbox to the switch box, mainly because you have to get up to switch disc for both or get the control, so I press the button on the switch box at the same time.

There are switch boxes made for HDTV's component cables, but they are expensive, and if the market goes to ieee1394 or DVI, then our connections are going to change anyway.

You also need to be aware of a compability problem between the Xbox and the B&K 307, whenever you change games or go to other games demo in the same disk, the digital audio gets drop. You then need to switch inputs and switch back to the Xbox, this is a minor pain and of course Microsoft blames B&K and B&K blames Microsoft.

I don't think game developers are taking full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 and HDTV for games, my subwoofers are asleep during most games, i.e. Delta Force that has jet fighters, when they crash or take an enemy down, the explosions have barely any bass, and the surrounds are barely used.

I think at the end of this month, there is a game coming that claims to have HDTV support, it is called Test Drive 3, we'll see.

Good luck, enjoy.

Carlos

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carlos.

Got my X-box, hooked it up a bit differently. Went with component video straight into TV, optical into B&K. Works fine, have the same bug that you do with the sound! In fact my NFL game has no sound, very bummed as I doubt that I can return it. Wonder if it is related to this bug? Halo and Munchee work fine. Happy overall with my AVR307 but next time I will by something from a bigger company, it really seems that B&K does not have the resources to address problems with their equipment, at leats not in a timely fashion, their updates/upgrades also seem to never show up.

A lot of fun, I hope that I have the patience to get good at this so I can realy enjoy it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hacky
Thanks Carlos.

Got my X-box, hooked it up a bit differently. Went with component video straight into TV, optical into B&K. Works fine, have the same bug that you do with the sound! In fact my NFL game has no sound, very bummed as I doubt that I can return it. Wonder if it is related to this bug?
Hacky,

You're welcome, I don't have the NFL, but you may want to try this to fix the problem. hook the regular red/white stereo cables from the X-Box HD box to the analog inputs in the B&K, you should get sound in regular surround, I don't know if you have to go to the Xbox set up menu and tell it to give you analog sound??

Quote:
Originally posted by Hacky

Happy overall with my AVR307 but next time I will by something from a bigger company, it really seems that B&K does not have the resources to address problems with their equipment, at leats not in a timely fashion, their updates/upgrades also seem to never show up.
I agree with you, B&K is a great product and so is their customer technical support, but their communication to customers in regards to their "promised" upgrade is a shame, I understand they may have some delays, but the should at leat let us know.

I bought my B&K at Magnolia Hi-Fi in Oct.2000, the sales manager told me that B&K will have an upgrade for DTS-ES in less than 1 year.

Denon is already letting their 5800 customers know about their upgrade. If I was on the market again for a receiver, I will go with the Denon 5803.

I read recently in this forum that B&K is waiting for the Motorola chip, we'll see, we can always hope.

Carlos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.