AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a PS2 and want to get an X-Box this week with the HD pack to hook to my Pioneer Elite 630HD. With HD,DVD,DVD-R using up all my available connections I have a question on hookup. I already have a Inday component switch box so I have enough inputs. What I want to do is have one set of component cables that come from the back of the tv and then I can hook up either the X-Box or PS2. I haven't bought the component cables for the PS2 yet but they have the male connection on the ends where the X-Box pack can be plugged in to the cable coming from the back of the tv. I want to be able to hook the PS2 up to that same component cable. Is there anyway to do this? Did I make any sense at all? I don't leave the systems out and always unhook them when I'm done so I'm trying to find an easy way to do this and just plug into one cable. Is the PS2 worth hooking up via component or should I just stick with the S-video? Hopefully I made sense in all of this. Thanks for any advice.

Jim

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I would stick with S-video for the PS2 if you have to keep disconnecting systems. The component is a tad better but only a few games take advantage of 480p and the difference isn't as dramatic as XBOX.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
I would stick with S-video for the PS2 if you have to keep disconnecting systems. The component is a tad better but only a few games take advantage of 480p and the difference isn't as dramatic as XBOX.
well... what if one wanted the best of both worlds... movie and game picture quality?

meaning... for the xbox, is it worth connecting up the video via component or, would you guys/gals use s-vid?

how much of a pic. difference would one see between the two?? i currently use the ps2 for all of my movie watching, but, heard that the xbox dvd player is a bit better quality wise.

don't know if there's any truth to that. i have both my game systems hooked up via audio optics out and s-vid out to my harmon/kardon receiver. should i contemplate hooking my xbox up to the monitor directly and utilize the components over svid and just run the audio to the receiver?

i have the panny 42 EDUY6 arriving tomorrow afternoon, trying to get my ducks in a row. i believe i've already got the high def. pack since i'm connected via optic sound... just can't remember at the momment. i'd have to stop at the store on the way home and pick up ~6ft of component cabling.

thanks, patrick.

·
Registered
336 Posts
To the first poster you have an Inday switcher you can hook up both ps2 and xbox to that, and yes the difference to upgrade to component is worth it, plus you already have one of the best switcher so you won't see loss of quality. Now if you are talking about a less than 27 inch none HDTV you might not see big difference from s-video but it will still be there. About the dvd the new ps2 models play progressive dvd's right out of the box not sure which model you have. I would say both xbox and ps2 aren't the greatest dvd players but to save space and some money they work fine. Even the older PS2 models dvd is playable right out of the box, you can buy a remote but don't need to you can control it from the controller. The Xbox you need to buy a dvd kit it won't play dvd's without the kit.

edit:

I assumed you had the switcher hooked up to one input and had another one left but realize alot of tv's only have one component. So for you I guess you will have to decide since alll are taken up already, personally I couldn't go back to svideo once I played ps2 and xbox already on it. I had a kind of similar problem and just unhoooked my standalone dvd player since it wasn't the best anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am still trying to find out how much signal loss there is if you daisy chain a decent switcher since someone mentioned doing this, but I never found out his results. I just unhooked my cheap dvd player, but that defeats the reason I got it, to not put to much wear on the dvd-r but that plays dvd's the best anyway, I probally end up unhooking my Gamecube after I beat MGS:TSS.

That could be another option just unhook a system when its a slow time for big games. I would use xbox or ps2 for dvd playback but don't feel like buying the remotes, and both those systems have been known to break so putting more wear on them is bad too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.