AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's gotta be a way to do this. Can I be the only person that can't believe That MS made an Intel based console with an nVidia chipset that does NOT support RGB-HV and only does component HD (and with the HD "kit" I assume component like a DVD player; is that right?)!?!?!

Please tell me I'm dreaming and that I don't have to buy $500 MORE stuff to make this work. My old Mits ONLY accepts 1080i PROPERLY. It IS gonna work somehow, isn't it? :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I haven't gotten the XBOX yet for this very reason, and I will be very angry if there is no easy way of connecting it to my TV.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love playing my dreamcast with the SVGA box on my RCA HDTV that only accepts RGB inputs. All computers and all monitors have RGB connections... and a lot of HDTV's support RGB. I believe with Microsoft's attempt to make the XBOX a console and not a PC, they are hiding these PC related things around launch date. It is foolish to not make an RGB AV Pack, so hopefully with enough chit-chat about the issue, somebody will release one soon. Until that day, I'm using only the dreamcast.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments about why you haven't bought your XBox yet or why you won't but back to my original question please... :)

Anybody know any answers of if there are any?

·
Registered
520 Posts
This topic has been covered but I'll repeat...

if your TV ONLY takes VGA or RGBHV, or you just want to get the best possible output from the XBox by using your computer monitor, you really only have one option, get a component to VGA transcoder.

There are several on the market, the cheapest retail one I could find was $179:
http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...neek=566356104

BUT I just saw a cheaper generic looking transcoder on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1296166301

Note that only the real old Mitsubishi sets do not take component ins. I had been using the popular VGA breakout cable to RGBHV with my Mits set and had forgotten that the set also supports component in (this is a 1999 model). Most of us are just converting our DTC100s to do component out (adapter cable is on Ebay for $30) and buying cheap switches or using the switches in our receivers.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
My new RCA HDTV with VGA and component inputs came with a cable with component at one end and VGA at the other. Do you think RCA used a non standard VGA in that accepts component? If not, then you would only need one of their cables.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LearningMan

I have a 73903 and although I have never done this, I believe that it is possible for your TV's RGBHV inputs to be changed to a 480P component via a change in the service menu. Do a search in the Mits forum at *************** and you should find it (about 16 to 24 months ago).

This solution may not practical since you will have to make this service menu change whenever switching from TV viewing to game and vice versa. A macro in a good remote control may make it easier.

Hope this helps.

I just did the search myself, try http://www.***************.com/ubb/u...&f=10&t=000540

Ron

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ronald,

Unless my memory is deceiving me (and it does a lot lately! LOL), the 480P "fix" is only RGBHV on my set. There is not support for component HD on this model series.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LearningMan

Either your memory is better than mine or when the "fix" first came out no one indicated that it was still 480P RGBHV. In any event you are right.

I have been planning on upgrading my set when the 73909s begin shipping. However with the merger announcement, I will probably end up getting screwed on this one if "Dish" abandons Directv's receivers.

Sorry.

Ron

·
Registered
379 Posts
nope. you need to buy a component to vga transcoder

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mits makes the adapter you require. RGB-CV10 sold on the website for $300

Gives you component inputs so all you need is a Extron SW ar2,4 or 6 off of Ebay. I use one with three sources and it works great.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/PDFs/hdadapter.pdf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.