Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh my god it doesn't get any better.

life is good.

and the kids are bought and paid for.

BO ya!!!!!!!!! quality time

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I also have the pio and an xbox but have not hooked them up together. Can you tell me how you connected it? Are there any problems with ghosting or burn in?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yup, it's awesome and I don't have any HD games yet, just 480p. Halo with 4 people as always is a riot.

Maximus: I have the HD pack and component cables going into input 2, and an optical DD cable going to my receiver. I don't have a lot of run time on my XBox, but I hosted a gamefest and had Halo on for maybe 6 hours straight with no issues. I just picked up some controller extension cables so the controllers can reach my couch without moving the Xbox. Nice.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sounds great djs! Im sure games that have no static images will be fine for the plasma. I'm just afraid of games with stationary images. My son loves his spiderman and lotr two towers game and would have a riot playing it on the plasma! Where did you find the hd pack at? Can I use any set of component cables? Does the hd pack include the cables? I'm assuming it does.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
No cables. The 'High Definition AV Pack' (which everyone sells - it's a Microsoft product) doesn't come with cables. It has 3 RCAs for the component cables, 2 RCAs for stereo/Dolby Pro Logic, and one optical jack for Dolby Digital.
More info

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for $20 .00 the hd pack is the way to go.

gust plug the 3 video cables to #2 with a bnc adapter and get a phono

to mini plug it in for stereo. that is if you have speakers on your plasma.

i have those small in door out door type and worker assume.

BO ha

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
No! Make sure you have an optical input available on your receiver - DD is the way to go! (IM-not-so-HO) :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Monster Cable also makes a nice HD setup that includes cables. I run everything to my receiver(pioneer VSX-49TXi) and then out to my plasma. I have spent many hours on my xbox/plasma setup without any problems. If you have a plasma and a xbox I suggest you give it a try.

Scott

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Halo on the 42" plasma RULES.

The only thing that will be a better gaming experience will be Halo 2 on the plasma!!

:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
but does the PS2 have anything like this? I don't have an Xbox.
Sort of. The PS2 came close to predating the push for support for modern video formats, but it IS capable of 480p. Here are some details:

1) Naturally you need to get a component cable for it to work.

2) Just about zero PS2 games (less than one percent, I calculate) support 480p.

3) The PS2 is incapable of supporting 720p or 1080i.

4) As I understand things, in order for the PS2 to support 480p, exactly half of its already woefully limited texture ram must be sacrificed. For most games which support 480p, such as Tekken 4, this means there is a visible drop in texture quality, making for a dubious tradeoff.

5) PS2 games are developed with 480i in mind. The downside of this is that every PS2 game I've ever seen, plus every Xbox game that was ported over from the PS2 (including the recent release 'Burnout 2') has black bars on the left and right sides of the screen, which would not be visible on a standard direct view display (CRT) because they would be off-screen. If anything is a hazard on a plasma display, persistent black bars are. I know of no plasma display that allows the user to scale the image horizontally, in increments, and lock their settings.

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel, though. Reportedly, Japan will be getting a new version of the PS2 with some curious additions and removals. The link port is gone. "DVD-R/W support" is added, which probably means it can record them. 480p is supported, which - my guess - probably means that 480i games bypass the interlacing process. *HOWEVER: It is possible that this new PS2 merely has a built-in deinterlacer, which would totally defeat the point. Anyway, this model might become available domestically, eventually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't be sad.

x box has only one game that will run true 1080i hd.

and i have the ghosting / burn to remember it by.

live and learn.

i hope it goes away.

lol bigred007

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
True, but you should see Soul Calibur 2 in 720p at 60fps. Talk about raising the bar. There are no better graphics from any game on any console.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred007
don't be sad.

and i have the ghosting / burn to remember it by.

live and learn.

i hope it goes away.

lol bigred007
There is NO ghosting on plasmas. The only comparable problem would be motion artifacts on bad scalers. Ghosting is only visible on LCD technology.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
There is NO ghosting on plasmas. The only comparable problem would be motion artifacts on bad scalers. Ghosting is only visible on LCD technology.
Hmm. Might be getting a little off-track but I'll throw in my two bits. "Ghosting" seems to mean two different things. It either refers to a trailing image left behind by images in motion, a consequence of too-slow decay rates for individual pixels, or it refers to the lingering-yet-temporary artifacts which result from having the same image (or black bars) on the screen in the same place for too long.

The PDS-5004 I have access to suffers from both of these. The first type - the trailing afterimage - is certainly not as pronounced as it is on LCD displays, but it's definitely there. It's significant enough to be just barely noticable when viewing 24fps movies (60fps games and TV programming make it more apparent, of course). The "burn in"-like ghosting is also something that happens. I'm not excessively concerned about it, but I am at least mindful of it, which, considering I cannot say the same about normal direct view displays, makes it one point against current plasma technology.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I to have played halo and other games for hours with no ghosting/burn-in problems on my 42" panny HD. I hear that halo2 will support 720p but it may be just a rumor.

Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if someone out their has played dragon's layer 3d on a plasma and has noticed something. let me know.

i have had played other games no problem.

i think it has something to do with a hd feed.

i might be wrong.

but after 4 hours on this game my plasma had costing / burn .

i am not sure which or what.

but their was and still is remnants of that game on my pio.

thank god that after time they are fading, i am talking days.

thanks every one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.