AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this issue was ever laid to rest. Last I remember, we were waiting for conformation from a "Official" Microsoft source. Well, read it here.

From the "Official Xbox Magazine" released today September 25, 2001.

Page 40

The 54th reason out of 70 reasons you should buy an Xbox.

And I quote:

"The Xbox is the only console that supports progressive scand DVD playback."

Ok, there. It's final. It's not disputable. Take your arguments, and stick them in your ear.

Bill

FIRST TIME READERS OF THIS TOPIC PLEASE NOTE

The title of this topic was originally "X-Box will be a progressive DVD Player (Official)"

I have changed it to prevent confusion, as you will find out after reading the entire topic.

Thanks,

Ken H

AVS HDTV Moderator

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
ouch pushed to hard..

seriously tho I hope this is true.

thnaks for the info.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was in the bookstore last weekend and looked thru the Official XBOX mag as well. I too noticed the above mentioned 54th reason. The rest of the paragraph seemed to support the notion that the XBOX would support progressive playback for DVD movies as well as games.

I don't know if it truly makes it 'final', because I have more than once been bitten by manufactures not meeting marketing hype, but it does give me hope again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
"The Xbox is the only console that supports progressive scand DVD playback."

"Supports" does not mean "shipped with" or "provides" or "features"....this could mean simply the hardware supports this feature, but it's not implemented. This is tricky marketing speak.

I hope progressive playback is not to far behind the release.

EAS

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I give up... You wanted Official, I give you official and you say it's a Type-O. Insane...believe what you wish, I no longer care. I'm only providing the facts "As I see them, in print".

Bill

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Even though the Xbox magazine is listed as Official, it is NOT owned by Microsoft or Xbox. They just have gone through some rigermorloe (how is that spelled!?) to get the offical sanction from Microsoft. The Xbox website specifically states that it does not support Progressive DVD movie playback. The www.xbox.com website is run by Microsoft and that is what I would consider official word directly from the horses mouth.

Maynerd

·
Registered
4 Posts
>"The Xbox is the only console that supports progressive >scand DVD playback."

>Ok, there. It's final. It's not disputable. Take your >arguments, and stick them in your ear.

I don't think anyone disputes that *at one point*, Microsoft supported the above statement, esp. at the publication date of official magazines and other printed information, up to 2 months ago or so.

The arguments have been about what has happened *since* that time; why is it so hard for people to believe that things may have changed in the interim?

Also, telling others to "stick it" if they disagree is pretty childish- of course, we are talking about a "game console" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
btw maynerd,

any idea what the lowered forecasts for shipping are all about? its one thing for a company to slip on shipping 1 million units at launch ( can you imagine the logistics of shipping a million of anything bigger than a paperclip?)

but 30,000 sounds very low for a Microsoft backed mass market push...even given Nintendo's low key reception.

kjk

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maynerd:
Unfortunately the magazine is wrong. There will be some sort of retraction.

Maynerd
They sure need to make a lot of retractions.All of my local video game stores still have the DVD playback listed as progressive scan as well as some stores across the border in Michigan.Weeks ago,Jeff Henshaw said that all of the outdated promotional materials would be removed from store shelves.He also said that there were only a few stores that had outdated material.Well,I've yet to see an in store package that has "progressive scan dvd" retracted from the DVD playback kit.

Has anyone seen the DVD kit at a B&M w/o progressive scan listed on the package?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
484 Posts
kjk - I don't think I am in a position to speculate on how many units there will be at launch. But what I can say is that Xbox manufacturing stated publically that they will be able to manufacture 100k units per week. Production apparently begun on 9/21. That is about 7 weeks. I don't think that we can expect Xbox to be at 100k per week capacity right away, they will need to ramp up. So take that however you like.

Shawn O - I do not disagree with you at all. I think that there is way too much confusion in the marketplace and a public statement from Xbox would be nice. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take your arguments, and stick them in your ear.

Hey, I thought that was kinda funny... My appologies. No harm ment.. Don't tell my mom please! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Well so be it. Xbox and no PS. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I'm truely disapointed. I see no logic to this madness. My appologies, I'm in a state of denial.

The Xbox not supporting Progressive Scan DVD playback is like having a Gas/Elec. Hybrid car, and disabling the electric side.

The ability is there, however they have disabled it. Why?

Truely sad.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey barista,

i remember when Playstation 2 was announced, all the reviewers were talking about the incredible DVD capabilities of the machine (full featured, for free !)-I believe the actual PS2 DVD quality is best described as "adequate" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I don't have much knowledge about the Progressive Scan feature in general for DVDS-I have read that some DVD players claim this feature, but do not implement it well. Is this a relatively trivial feature to add ?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
KJK-

Progressive scan is DEFINITELY not trivial. no one knows why the Xbox is NTSC only for DVD. My speculation is that they want the Xbox looked at as a gaming machine, not as a home theater box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pure speculation http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1. Focus on gaming machine image (thanks Policy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

2. Don't cut into profits as game console (as sales of games needed to make up loss leader console development costs)

3. Current quality of Prog.Scan not up to MS standards ( the only thing worse than no Prog. Scan would be poor Prog. Scan, don't you think ?)

4. Prog. Scan "activated" at later date as "value-added" feature, similar to Nvidia's Detonator driver updates http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

others? besides "Microsoft hates me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif "

kjk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KJK, I think you hit the point on #1 there.....

The machine is more than capable of being an excelent Progressive Player. Some of the best progressive players are HTPCs with NVidia GForce cards (Exactly what the Xbox is).

I'm just glad I know now. Rather not waste my money on a DVD module if it's not progressive. I've got a DVD player already (Just not a progressive one).

So be it, I'm buing the thing for games anyway! Can't wait!

Bill

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Im going to use my HTPC for 1080i DVD anyway, and I will be coupling that with 1080i games as well. That's why we are buying the thing people. It's WACK to use a controller to watch movies anyway!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.