AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning building a dedicated HTPC for a while now, and my plans have gone through several changes. I'm about to buy a HDTV soon so my budget is going to be pretty restrictive. I had wanted to reuse one of my older computers (probably as Celeron 600 oc'd 927mhz) but I quickly found out it wouldn't provide the processing power I need. I want my HTPC to do the following,

1) Act as a PVR, timeshifting,recording shows etc.

2).mpg/DiVX/.avi playback

2) DVD progressive scan playback

3) act as a scaler/De-interlacer for my DVD,LD, and VCR

Since I have dedicated machines for PC duties it won't be required to do any of those. Anyways, I was trolling around the web when I came across some european guys website showing his "Media center" setup, consisting of a 2.x P$ Linux server, 2 hardware MP3 units, and a "media box" (1.0 celeron) used for playback of Divx,Mpg files etc. He went on to describe how the underpowered celeron couldn't playback Divx etc. in full screen until he added the Sigma Designs Xcard. Well it got me thinking that it would be a pretty good way for me to be able to use my older celeron. The only problem is I have no idea of it's compatible with a TV tuner card. (I haven't picked one yet), and I haven't been able to find any info addressing the topic. From what I've seen the Xcard, offloads all thge duties from the cpu, so pretty much any machine can playback Divx etc. in full screen. I also considered using one of thier older cards but none had DiVX compatability and since a lot of the stuff I have is in that format it's a pretty big issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also found a 1.3ghz Duron+mATX mobo combo for the same price as a Xcard and wonder if that would be a better option.....but I'd really prefer to upgrade to a XP2500+ (or 2400) which will only run me about $30 more, so I won't be left with yet another outdated CPU), and I'd still be able to use the Xcard. Any input,ideas etc. would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.