AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the fact that my second 360 died last night (3 red lights), I am curious as to whether folks really think that the x-clamp fix is a permanent solution. As I see it, I can return my 360 to M$ for a repair -- fortunately for free this time -- or I could perform the x-clamp fix.

If I go with the M$ repair, I'll get another 360 (most likely another refurb) with a one year warranty. This 360 may or may not at some point die as well. If so, hopefully it will do so during the warranty period and this whole circle begins again.

Alternatively, I could do the x-clamp fix. Assuming this is truly the problem with my 360, I'd have a fixed 360, but a voided warranty. Should something else go wrong with this unit, I would not be able to get it repaired. Similarly, if my current issue (3 red lights, error code 0020) is not due to the x-clamp issue and I attempt that repair, I will have voided my warranty and will be S.O.L.

All that said, does the x-clamp fix seem to be the universal solution to the 3 red lights? And for those who have done the solution, how long has your 360 been up and running?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Tough choice. Because all your going to get back is refurbs that will keep breaking. On the other hand. Say you do the X clamp fix and all is peachy again. But then your dvd drive goes out. Then what? From what I hear. The refurbs come back half assed fixed or doa out of the box! Terrible. Honestly. I would flip a coin on it.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Easy answer.. if your 360 is under warranty.. have MS fix it..

Besides a bunch of hypothetical internet theories there is no problem the xclamp fix is the permanent fix. Of course it is 100% guaranteed the system you get back from warranty repair is never gonna break again.

But you simply dont take matters into your own hands unless you HAVE too.

In the end its your $300 bucks you are playing with.. so choose your own poison.. but I'd definitely take the MS option as long as its available free.

The day you have to pay $139.. THEN its wise to try and fix it yourself and save $100+ bucks..

·
Registered
711 Posts
Alsp, doing the fix after a break is very self defeating. You'd have a broken joint and you'd be clamping them together in the hope that they remain in contact with each other. That isn't at all mechanically sound.

The only real way to get a long lasting result is doing the fix prior to failure, but you have to be prepared to lose your warranty to do so. Perhaps consider it if your next replacement sees out its warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts