AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just wondering if its still a good choice for HTPC specially at $110 and if I am using the analog output.

I am also considering getting a used Xonar D2.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any takers? :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Luis!

Nice seeing you over here on AVS. I've been using my X-Fi Elite Pro (modded with LM4562 op amps) for a couple of years now. I use the analog outputs straight to power amps. Sounds fantastic on my LS-6s!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I call a recommendation! I cant wait to get LS-6 or maybe the 9s since they are been built in my hometown. :)

I keep reading stuff about how the xonar is better and the likes so its confusing.

How was it before the mod? I dont plan to mod it since I will probably kill it. lol

BTW, I hang around here all the time but mostly in the projector area.

Regards

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Hi Luis,

I love my X-Fi Elite Pro. I also have modded mine with LM4562 opamps. I'm driving a 7.1 ELT525 system. You might know someone working on a review of these speakers.
I use the analog outs directly to my Outlaw Audio 7100 amp or my Onix SP3.

You can't set the distance of your subwoofer(s) in the bass management settings. However, if they are about the same as the mains it shouldn't be a problem. For bass, I use the digital output to a Behringer DCX2496. The X-Fi sends out a stereo PCM digital signal that combines all channels. This is sent simultaneous with the analog channels and the volume is attenuated in the X-Fi before the conversion to the stereo PCM signal. I then use the DCX2496 for the bass management and stereo configuration of my dual Cherry MFW-15's. Ask Jess what he thinks of stereo bass.

The X-Fi sounded pretty good before the mod. Changing the opamps widened the soundstage and added a little detail. If I was to get a card now, I would probably get a ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe 7.1 . It has 7 RCA analog outputs.

mojave at av123

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking on getting the Xonar D2 but I found it very annoying that the control panel doesnt allow you to enter speaker distances accurately like you do with the x-fi. I just dont understand why they dont include that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As desertdome/mojave said, you can't set the subwoofer distance with the X-Fi. This used to be somewhat of a problem for me, but with my LS-6s I leave my sub turned off and route all bass energy (including movie LFE) to the LS-6s.
I'm happy with the results in my room.

When I upgraded the op amps to LM4562s, I was using stock RS750 sig speakers and I noticed a definite difference in detail and clarity. I can only imagine that the difference would be even bigger with the LS-6s, but I'm not going back to find out.
If you get the X-Fi, I'd recommend the upgrade. Have an electronics tech do it for you.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, while lurking around on ebay I ended up winning the bid for a Xonar D2 for only $42 shipped.

I think for that price its worth the try and if I found the speaker distance settings a problem with no workaround I could still sell it and at the very least get my money back. :)

I am familiar with the x-fi as I have the Fatal1ty for my main gaming pc so I know it has enough options to set it up and the added quality of the Elite might just be what I need but at $42 it was hard to at least not try the Xonar dont you agree? :)

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena /forum/post/15542932

...at $42 it was hard to at least not try the Xonar dont you agree? :)

Agreed. I wonder what it uses for DACs and output op amps. Let me know how you like the sound quality.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do...I hope the speaker distance thing doesnt become a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts