AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
OK, but everybody knew that wasn't the end of the story. When you're writing a book, you don't put "The End" after every chapter.
Goddammit Josh! ;)... It's not like they put it at the end of every season (or every chapter). Besides, of course everybody knew, but it was still the end of something, and they had us guessing what kind of "end" they were talking about. The same for this week's finale, "this is the end" as in the end of this miniseries? The "end of the world"? The "end" of one character? etc

...And since there's a always a positive side, this week we got Scully *and* Reyes. That's definitely a plus. :D:p

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
This season was great fun and I enjoyed the final episode. But it's not a series for "conspiracy phobics" as the show has always been about that as Carter admits.

As for shorter seasons that may well be part of the future of US broadcast TV. Much of the European series that I watch that are 6-8-10 episodes are often better written than much of US shows. But the US execs in the past wanted "dumbed down TV" which now might turn away those folks with dollars in their pocket that advertisers want. Not mention that shorter seasons mean less risk for networks. The foreign shows have much smaller budgets so the writing has to count. US shows seem overproduced and glossy when they don't need to be. Give me an "American Crime" with it's minimalist production values but great writing to some of the glossy shows the networks hang their hat on.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What gave me a little hope is that over the course of the filming it appears Duchovny and Anderson got into the groove with each other and had sparks of the old chemistry there. You could also tell that the filming didn't follow the sequence of the aired episodes. The 6th was filmed with the 1st - Anderson had that raspy voice with both episodes (cold? allergies?)

The "mix" really didn't work for me. They had mythology episodes, monster of the week, and weird comedy. But they were SO different that they didn't flow well. As others have mentioned, it doesn't make much sense to have a VERY important mythology episode and then some monsters or goofy episodes and then continue with the important episode again. They really need to complete the mythology arc intact - even if it requires 2-3 episodes together. I would like to see MORE mythology (at least half of the episodes) and a little less monster of the week and weird goofy. If they try another season, I hope they make some changes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
His "Aquarius" was renewed for Season 2. (I made it through only about 6 episodes of Season 1. It just was not compelling enough, and it was the darkest show (lighting) I've ever seen. I doubt there will be anything beyond Season 2.)
I think NBC is going to torture everyone with "Aquarius" as long as they can for bitchiness. After all, their most intense show is the tattooed lady. :D

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Every X-Files season ended with a cliffhanger. Going all the way back to the first one. This one ended wit several questions:
  1. Is that William in the ET ship coming to save Ma & PA?
  2. Is that Samantha coming to save her brother...Mulder?
  3. Is that Smokey man introducing a new disappearance mystery for Miller & Einstein to pursue in future X-Files?
  4. Is that the ship from episode one, showing up to blow Mulder & Scully to smithereens?
  5. IS that AD Skinner showing up with the rescue posse
  6. IS it ET showing up to abduct Scully & Mulder from the X-Files entirely?
The truth is out there or in there somewhere. I just think that if they reprise this series for another series...They need to completely close out the Mulder/Scully/Cigarette cruncher story arch with a definitive or vague ending (ala The Sopranos). And move on with Miller and Einstein. I didn't love episode 6. But I didn't hate it either. There was just nothing about it that surprised me. This new series is not so much about the End of the World...as it is about the beginning of a New World Order IMO.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Let's be frank...the real purpose of this X-Files reprisal was to get us to buy Fords, right? Don't you just "need" a Ford Explorer, now? :p

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Looks like Carter (or someone on his team) read the novel The Atlantis Gene. This entire episode was a rip off of the book, down to the microwave antennas, the diseases running rampant because of aliens and what they did in the past, only the elite picked to survive, etc. Only difference was the ship at the end.

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
Weather it's aliens conquering us by force or other nefarious means like killer viruses, there's always an elite cabal of treacherous human sympathizers that are willing to sell out their species to survive. It's kinda' been done to death, so to speak. Carter had decades to come up with something more original for this revival.

Apart from the undeniable pleasure of seeing Mulder and Scully back in action, what exactly did this "season" of the X-Files deliver? Was that enough? For some, yeah. But I was hoping for better stories as well, some kind of interesting plotline arc, or even cool/scary/memorable M'sOTW, to keep me engaged.

I felt pretty much the same way after the '24' revival. Jack is back! Look, there's Chloe! Cool! Then.... zzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Looks like Carter (or someone on his team) read the novel The Atlantis Gene. This entire episode was a rip off of the book, down to the microwave antennas, the diseases running rampant because of aliens and what they did in the past, only the elite picked to survive, etc. Only difference was the ship at the end.
I think Carter has been out of original ideas for a long time - pretty much a one-hit wonder. Doggett and Reyes were actually pretty good, but the idea of more milking of the same stale ideas with a random pair of new actors? I say let it die while it still has a shred of dignity to cling to...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I watched the entire 9 seasons of the X-files again to prepare for this latest mini-series. It raised expectations and, unfortunately, made this latest season appear rather weak in comparison - especially comparing it to the first six seasons. In fact, this mini-series was enough of a downer that I'm on the fence whether I want to see another season or not. I really thought it would be better than it was.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm definitely done with Carter after this awful attempt to revive the series. Like arch said, he had years to come up with something better and this crap is all we got. Basically one good ep (the first) then the rest were either forgettable (middle 4) or nonsensical (last) tripe than only fanbois could love.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I think when you really get down to it, none of this was an original idea from Carter (even down to season 1). It was just Carter adapting general ufo mythology into a tv series (which turned out to be quite iconic, in the end). All this info has been around for some time in one form or other. I don't blame him for any of that. I think it is a significant body of work that he exposed this as far into the mainstream as he achieved. Probably that book adapted that material from the very same sources.

Anybody ever watch Ancient Aliens series? It is virtually the same material that bedrocks X-files, except in documentary format. Did AA copy XF?...or was XF copying AA...or are they both simply drawing from the same source? I think logically, one has to conclude the latter. I have no problem with that. It's entertaining, and depending on your belief in plausibility, can be quite enthralling subject material.

My overlying point being...really, we're going to single out Carter for floating an unoriginal idea, here? That's missing the forest for the trees, imo. I don't even think that was his original goal. The X-Files UFO mythology is based on a compilation of recognized information on that subject. That's all it ever was. Just appreciate it for what it is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Which was the lamer reboot mini season, X-Files or Heroes Reborn? As a fan of both original series, I'd have to say Heroes was worse to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Disappointed in that season finale although I couldn't help thinking Carter inserted the cliffhanger in there to raise demand for more seasons. I have to say the global conspiracy thing has been getting more convoluted, contradicting, and unbelievable with time, and stuffing all this stuff in the finale made it even worse. I admit to liking the Twilight Zone , Kolchak type, MOW episodes to this global conspiracy claptrap that is just getting ridiculous. I want to see the series continue with some improved writing.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
I think when you really get down to it, none of this was an original idea from Carter (even down to season 1). It was just Carter adapting general ufo mythology into a tv series (which turned out to be quite iconic, in the end). All this info has been around for some time in one form or other. I don't blame him for any of that. I think it is a significant body of work that he exposed this as far into the mainstream as he achieved. Probably that book adapted that material from the very same sources.

Anybody ever watch Ancient Aliens series? It is virtually the same material that bedrocks X-files, except in documentary format. Did AA copy XF?...or was XF copying AA...or are they both simply drawing from the same source? I think logically, one has to conclude the latter. I have no problem with that. It's entertaining, and depending on your belief in plausibility, can be quite enthralling subject material.

My overlying point being...really, we're going to single out Carter for floating an unoriginal idea, here? That's missing the forest for the trees, imo. I don't even think that was his original goal. The X-Files UFO mythology is based on a compilation of recognized information on that subject. That's all it ever was. Just appreciate it for what it is.
If you read The Atlantis Gene you would be stunned at how closely it matches to what happened in this episode. Sure, not having an original idea, tweaking it because the concept has been done before, ok, whatever, but a direct rip off is lame.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
I took a look at the
for the book. It really looks like a unique story... Something is gonna wipe out the human race, and only two people can stop it. Gee.. that's never been done before. :rolleyes:

Then I took a look at A.G. Riddle's Facebook page.. I figured it would be hopping with comments about the X-Files episode. But no, the last entry there was from February 19th . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Which was the lamer reboot mini season, X-Files or Heroes Reborn? As a fan of both original series, I'd have to say Heroes was worse to me.
I guess if I had to choose it would be HR, based solely on the fact that I ditched it after 2 0r 3 eps but watched all 6 XF. OTOH though if HR had been 6 eps and XF 13 there's a good chance it would have been the other way around...

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
All three of these genre reboots: '24', 'Heroes Reborn', and 'The X-Files' were pretty weak gruel. I went into each one hoping for some of the ol' magic and they all came up way short. Not because the actors weren't game, but because the writing and plotting were surprisingly lame.

861 - 880 of 909 Posts