·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

As far as I know, the first couple of seasons of X-Files was shot on 35mm,

I'm not sure how many(please enligthen me). Did they switch to video

at some time?

I'm a great fan of the series, that's why I would love to see it in HD.

By the way, how does the series look on DVD?

Thanks for your time,

Nicholas

·
Registered
154 Posts
The entire series was shot on 35mm.

Picture quality of the DVD sets was a bit of a disappointment. It seems the MPEG compression was set very high and as a result the dark backgrounds (which the show was famous for) are very blocky.

The first 4 seasons are presented in 4:3 (the way the show was originally aired) and the subsequent seasons are in 16:9.

If you love the show, the DVD sets are very good.

I would not, however, hold my breath for HD versions.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike0221
The entire series was shot on 35mm.

Picture quality of the DVD sets was a bit of a disappointment. It seems the MPEG compression was set very high and as a result the dark backgrounds (which the show was famous for) are very blocky.

The first 4 seasons are presented in 4:3 (the way the show was originally aired) and the subsequent seasons are in 16:9.

Thanks for straightening me out will the 16 X 9 be anamorphic?

·
Registered
752 Posts
The show was made in 1.78.1 from day one.All they would have to do for the first four Season's is do new transfer.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by johnbr
The show was made in 1.78.1 from day one.All they would have to do for the first four Season's is do new transfer.
That's sad.....I wish they would do that...

Nich

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnbr
Correct.

But Fox chose not to make new transfers for the DVD's - making the chances for HD even less likely.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nich

By the way, how does the series look on DVD?

I have the season sets, and they are (as Mike pointed out) a bit disappointing. In addition to compression issues, the source material used was not the cleanest, so you also get artifacts and the like appearing from time-to-time. The quality does seem to improve slightly as you move farther along into the season sets.

It's important to note what size display you will be wathing on...if your viewing on a smaller size 27" tv, then these problems are not that big an issue. However, on my Plasma, these issues are quite noticeable, and obviously worst of all if you are projecting them.

Also, on the Fox chat last week over at the home theater forum, the question was asked as to whether or not we would be seeing a new improved version of Fight the Future, and the answer was a definitive no.

Howie

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Howie
Also, on the Fox chat last week over at the home theater forum, the question was asked as to whether or not we would be seeing a new improved version of Fight the Future, and the answer was a definitive no.

Howie
That's too bad. But they did say that "Millennium" is coming to DVD (once they finish the X-Files releases). I am looking forward to that!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be running from a HTPC to my Barco Graphics 808 on a 96" screen.

Well, as long as the image is sharp and have great colors, I'll be OK.

Some of the LaserDisc releases were VERY good.

Nich

·
Registered
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Howie
It's been quite a long time since I watched it (before getting my current projector), but I don't recall anything in particular wrong with the anamorphic/DTS release. What's wrong with it? Edge enhancement?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike0221

Agreed. I haven't been buying movies on DVD as I'm waiting for them on Blu-ray and HD-DVD. However when it comes to TV shows on DVD, I am buying them simply because I don't believe most of them will be reissued in an HD format. Until the past few years nearly all shows were 4:3 anyway. I just don't see the studios thinking that reissues of shows with numerous seasons will be a worthwhile investment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.