AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the announcements out of CES, I would have thought we'd see a few larger sizes, but it seems that most LED backlit LCD TVs are maxing out at 55". Granted, yes, that's nice and big, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of 60"+?

My ideal TV would be backlit LED, 65", um, and have a good quality panel with the regular assortment of features (200+ hz, HDMI CEC, calibration settings, etc). I'll compromise backlit for edgelit if that's the only larger option, but within the size, I'll take backlit of course.

The brands I had my eye on were Sony, Samsung and LG. Sony' edgelits are nice, but I found the flashlighting a bit too pronounced, and they max at 55". Samsung has a great (but discontinued?) 8500, and I think their new lineup maxes officially at 55" (although maybe there will be a 65" here: 65C8000?). LG has a great LHX90 and I hear the new LE9500 is supposed to be great, but it's also topping at 55"?

So, has anyone heard of a definitive product at 60" or greater with LED tech that will be out by June/July 2010?

N....

·
Registered
19 Posts
vizio is releasing their 72" XVT Pro Series tv with 480 zones of Smart LED Dimming in august 480HZ 3D capable. built in wireless HDMI and VIZIO INTERNET APPS (VIA) with High Definition, wireless networking 802.11n dual-band, Bluetooth universal remote control with sliding QWERTY keyboard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cost? Well, the $20k for the 75" Sony is ridiculous to me, but I'm comfortable with $5k.

I heard about Vizio but haven't seen anything from their line to know their quality. Is the quality there?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't count on CEC working between component from different manufacturers. My Sony BD player works 100% with Sony TV. Philips DVD doesn't (it only turns TV on). Pioneer DVD was really strange - it worked but each command was delayed several seconds. CEC is great idea but I wish it was actually standardized and properly implemented.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sony (along with Sharp) invested a bundle in the Sakai plant. See
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/091001.html

The sole purpose of this plant is to economically produce high-quality large panels. The motherglass size produced by that plant is 2,880 x 3,130 mm, which could easily produce 6 70 inch panels from each glass. I doubt they would have spent all that money if they weren't interested in sizes larger than 60 inch.

Sony's recently announced 2010 models have a big gap. The sets with high-end features like local dimming only go up to 52 inch. That's just too much potential profit for Sony to ignore. So stay tuned for some really big sets loaded with full LD, multi-color LEDs, Wi-Fi and of course 3D. Bring your checkbook.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was looking as the 60EX700 Sony yesterday at Best Buy. LED edgelit LCD TV. Very nice. Wait are you specifically looking for backlit? Edge lit is not what you are looking for right?

Sorry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CEC - basic functionality is fine - my panasonic talks well with my onkyo, and the appletv learned the same remote. Duplicating even power and volume would be a win for me.

Edgelit - I'd prefer backlit, but between a 52" backlit and a 65" edgelit, I'd obviously take the bigger size.

Sony sizes - it is a noticeable gap, I agree. I don't understand why they are letting the gap sit there. Simple math: gap x months = millions in lost revenue going to other providers.

Hopefully news comes out in the next month or two of impending lineup additions. Sigh.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety /forum/post/18188482

Cost? Well, the $20k for the 75" Sony is ridiculous to me, but I'm comfortable with $5k.

I heard about Vizio but haven't seen anything from their line to know their quality. Is the quality there?

According to Consumer Reports, Vizio is as reliable as ANY brand out there. CR recently received 118,700 surveys about LCDs purchased between 2006 and mid-2009. Only 3% of Vizio owners reported needing repairs.

"Indications are that problems arise early if at all: 73% of repairs wee on TVs no more than one year old. Also reassuring: Our data show that even for sets five or six years old, the overall repair rate has been relatively low, about 10%. Models in a brand can vary, and design oro manufacture changes might affect future reliability."

Vizio ships a huge number of LCD panels, second only to Samsung.

Don't mind Servicetech571, he is obsessed both with other people's finances and with bottom of the line, featureless LCDs. Someone already tried to explain that buying with a credit card has some real advantages including the ability to put transactions in dispute, rewards, and free warranty extension of one year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sharp announced 4 new 60"+ LED/LCD televisions at CES:

LC-68LE920UN

LC-60LE920UN

LC-60LE820UN

LC-60LE810UN

We should start seeing these boxes in 2Q2010.

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know about the Sharp 68" one - that looks like a great option. We'll have to see what else rolls out between now and then, of course, but that seems like a top pick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts