AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know X max has become one of the most important values in selecting a sub..... we tend to check this value first then any other. How important is it? We all want bigger subs more x max.. bigger amps.... I remember I had 2 15 inch eminence subs in 4 cu.ft sealed boxes, with an Fs of 32 and an xmax of 7 mm..I was powering them with a Yamaha 600 watt amp at 300 each... and I thought I had the best sound around ..that was in 1998.

Now I got 4 tempests in an IB powered by a pro amp(2600 watts) ... and I don't think it's day and night ,it's better but not by much. Don't get me wrong... I still can shake the rafters... but I did it back then too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Xmax is only one of many factors in a subwoofer that are important. The application will determine what factors are most important. Large linear Xmax numbers are handy when you want large amounts of output down deep. For each halving of an octave, the excursion must increase by a factor of 4 to keep the same output. So if you want your response to be flat down to the teens with a small diameter woofer in a large room, then you need lots of excursion. A larger Xmax will also help with the distortion levels with higher frequencies and at lower volumes. This is because the BL and Cms of higher excursion drivers generally stays consistent over a longer range of motion.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Steven explained this pretty well. It's not the be all end all, but the higher the output you need and the deeper you want to go below 20hz, it really starts to take a lot of displacement. If you are just looking for high out-put at 25hz and above it's not as huge a factor.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Seriously,extra Xmax is good to have when you demand high output below the 25Hz range.And is a guard against bottoming,as Xmech often comes ~20% or more futher.

Still misuse can end with bottoming of any driver.

In other news...

They are introducing XBL motor tweeters.
Must be for long linear stroke at 2KHz.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts