AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't manage to catch this in theater but I'm a big fan of the characters. The movie looked good from previews though and had some favorable reviews. Anyone have any opinions?

The disc itself looks good too:

Quote:
Technical Specs

BD-50 Blu-ray Disc

Digital copy
Video Resolution/Codec

1080p/AVC MPEG-4

Aspect Ratio(s)

2.40:1
Audio Formats

English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

French Dolby Digital 5.1

Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles/Captions

English, French, Spanish
Supplements

10 X-Men Digital Comics

Cerebro Mutant Tracker

Children of the Atom

X Marks the Spot

Deleted and extended scenes

Composer's isolated score

Trailer

BD-Live

·
Registered
30,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 /forum/post/20798234

This is my favorite superhero movie second only to "The Dark Knight". I liked it that much

Was about to say the exact same thing. Certainly my favourite movie this year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 /forum/post/20798234

This is my favorite superhero movie second only to "The Dark Knight". I liked it that much

That's what I like to hear.

Fassbender looks like a very interesting Magneto. Looking forward to picking this up on BD.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Stop it, you. It's bad enough you're running down this movie at the AVF, now I gotta put up with it here too?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D /forum/post/20799140

There is no debate. Star Wars isn't sci-fi.

True - it's "fantasy", but far from hard sci-fi.

On topic - I enjoyed the hell out of First Class. A day one buy on BD for sure.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the other X-Men films but very curious about this one. They are the weakest in the Marvel world, IMO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/20808263

I'm not a big fan of the other X-Men films but very curious about this one. They are the weakest in the Marvel world, IMO.

The X-men are the worst? If you mean film-wise, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider and the Fantastic Four would like to have a word.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I loved X2, thought 1 and 3 were not so good. I would put this behind 2 but it was decent. The scene with Erik in the bar in South America was pure gold, if the rest of the movie had been at that level it would have been the best super hero movie ever made.

My ranking for Xmen movies: X2, XM-FC, Xmen......at the bottom of a cliff - X3.

·
Registered
28,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20809706

My ranking for Xmen movies: X2, XM-FC, Xmen......at the bottom of a cliff - X3.

Buried in a mine shaft 3,000 feet below that cliff bottom - X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20810409

Buried in a mine shaft 3,000 feet below that cliff bottom - X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Ouch. I'm not quite that negative on Origins only because I enjoy Hugh in that role(even if its not a perfect match to the comic). His passion reflects on screen.

Josh, any opinion on First Class?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20810409

Dangit had forgotten about that one. Was trying to wipe it from my memory and pretend it never got made and you had to go and bring it up.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am of mixed opinion on X-Men First Class. There was a lot I liked about the movie, but there were a few things that just rubbed me the wrong way. I'd place the X-Men franchise in this order, best at top, worst at bottom:

X-Men 2

X-Men First Class

X-Men

X-Men 3

X-Men Origins Wolverine

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer /forum/post/20812250

I am of mixed opinion on X-Men First Class. There was a lot I liked about the movie, but there were a few things that just rubbed me the wrong way. I'd place the X-Men franchise in this order, best at top, worst at bottom:

X-Men 2

X-Men First Class

X-Men

X-Men 3

X-Men Origins Wolverine

The perfect order

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove /forum/post/20808522

The X-men are the worst? If you mean film-wise, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider and the Fantastic Four would like to have a word.

ok, Daredevil and Elektra...point well taken but Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four were better, IMO and the comics especially FF are WAY better!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I came in with high expectations, but was a bit disappointed upon leaving the theatre. I thought it was the same baked story telling over again - same predictable set up and climax; same type of smart arse quips. Maybe I just wasn't in a good mood that evening. I will more than likely still get this though.

Oh...about the funniest part was Logan's. That was classic. :p

·
Registered
28,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy /forum/post/20810583

Josh, any opinion on First Class?

I was really disappointed with it. I found it quite boring. The movie did next to nothing fun with the '60s setting, most of the new characters who were introduced have the same powers as characters from the earlier movies, and January Jones is perhaps the worst actress working today. Her performance in the movie is embarrassingly bad.

On the other hand, Michael Fassbender is really good as Magneto. And the movie is certainly not as bad as Origins.

The fanboys seem to love it. Many are calling it the best X-Men movie yet. I just don't understand that. I'd only put it slightly above The Last Stand and a bit below the first X-Men. X2 is miles better.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts